Gazza Interview

Doug

Gazza talking now on 5 live phone in.

Fawning Spurs fans ringing in saying how gutted they were when he left them.

Gazza says he left Newcastle because he saw Beardsley, Waddle and others sold and " you dont stay at clubs who sell their best players".

Depressing to see we are still that sort of club.

• 1 month later...

thread led me to read about him on wiki where i was reminded of

"In 2004 he stated that he wished to be referred to as G8, combining his initial and his playing number."

f***ing hell :lol:

:lol: nowt more to expect really from someone with a septic tank for a  brain

One of the greatest footballers of our time, a geordie, and someone who loves the city and the club. Lets have a pop at him though.

He's clearly screwed himself up on booze and drugs long term, as he did not have the sort of mind that could cope with being one of the first mega-celebrity footballers in modern years. When "Gazzamania" struck, he was the only nationwide footballing name. Now there about 20 or so players whose names are known nationwide by non-football people. The only other person who got that level of individual celebrity attention in football was George Best.

Fair play for trying to sort himself out.

One of the greatest footballers of our time, a geordie, and someone who loves the city and the club. Lets have a pop at him though.

He's clearly screwed himself up on booze and drugs long term, as he did not have the sort of mind that could cope with being one of the first mega-celebrity footballers in modern years. When "Gazzamania" struck, he was the only nationwide footballing name. Now there about 20 or so players whose names are known nationwide by non-football people. The only other person who got that level of individual celebrity attention in football was George Best.

No doubting everything you're saying, it just irks people that he's let himself go the way he has. He could have been a role model for generations to come. I met him twice and chatted to him. First time he was polite and friendly (playing for Rangers), and the second time he was a total fuck-egg (post boro days). Around the parts where I live he's been known to pass out in his own drool in clubs and bars, and that's what he's best known for here.

No doubting everything you're saying, it just irks people that he's let himself go the way he has. He could have been a role model for generations to come. I met him twice and chatted to him. First time he was polite and friendly (playing for Rangers), and the second time he was a total fuck-egg (post boro days). Around the parts where I live he's been known to pass out in his own drool in clubs and bars, and that's what he's best known for here.

guys clearly got mental problems, question is are they because of the drink or does he drink 'cause he's got mince for brains?

remember someone saying ages back reading his book that seeing the death of his friend at a young age has been pinpointed as what's fucked him up so badly, no idea how true that is mind

The only other person who was receiving the same level of publicity as Gazza at the peak of his playing career was Princess Diana. The papers would lead with one or the other. I remember at the time thinking no-one could survive this sort of attention.

At least he is still here.