Taylor and Bassong injuries

LoveItIfWeBeatU

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/03/23/taylor-and-bassong-both-injured-in-arsenal-loss-72703-23212423/

Taylor and Bassong both injured in Arsenal loss

Mar 23 2009 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

STEVEN TAYLOR has been left devastated by ankle ligament damage that looks likely to rule him out of Newcastle United’s vital clash with Chelsea on April 4.

The Toon defender was forced to retire early against Arsenal after taking a whack in United’s latest defeat.

Taylor – who had sweated blood for the cause during the encounter – left St James’s Park on crutches and with his left foot protected by an aircast.

Taylor will now undergo a scan today to discover the extent of the damage but fears that the injury could rule him out for up to a month.

Both Taylor and Sebastien Bassong were injured during the 3-1 defeat, with the pair requiring pain-killing injections at the club’s training HQ in Benton.

Bassong will also face a scan on his injured groin and is also a major doubt for the game against Chelsea.

A close friend of the pair said: “They are totally gutted about it, both at having to come off during the game and the prospect of missing the Chelsea match. They just want to play their part.”

Both Bassong and Taylor have been carrying Newcastle in recent games and it was no surprise that Arsenal scored all three of their goals when both were off the pitch.

Taylor was recieving treatment when Arsenal opened the scores and he couldn’t continue, with the Whitley Bay lad looking visibily distressed.

The England Under-21 captain has also been pulled out of Stuart Pearce’s squad for the friendly in Norway on Friday and misses the international with France at the City Ground on March 31.

United caretaker boss Hughton feels that the loss of the influential pair was a big a factor.

He added: “They were big blows for us. It’s a hip injury for Seb, but it was a major blow as he is such a big individual.

“He’s been doing very well.

“And the timing of Steven Taylor’s injury coincided with them getting the second goal.”

Toon skipper Michael Owen has again been overlooked by Fabio Capello for the friendlies with Slovakia and Ukraine during the international break.

And Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admitted he was surprised to see Hughton axe Michael Owen from the starting line-up.

He said: “Yes I was surprised.

“But I read that he would not play.

“Maybe he is not in top physical form.

“I must say Obafemi Martins and Peter Lovenkrands were lively – they played very well.”

:: Steven Taylor has pulled out of the England Under-21 squad to face Norway and France following the ankle injury he picked up at the weekend.

The centre-back, 23, was replaced 20 minutes into the second half in the defeat to Arsenal on Saturday, with Under-21 coach Stuart Pearce calling up Ryan Shawcross called up as a direct replacement.

Pearce has also lost Tottenham winger Aaron Lennon to the seniors and Arsenal’s Theo Walcott to injury, and he has also called up Portsmouth defender Martin Cranie.

Back to top of the league: -

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Why not go for 3-5-2

-------------------Harper-----------------

--------Beye------Colo-----Enrique----

Rtaylor--Nolan--Smith--Butt--Jonas-

-------------Loven---Martins------------

Or just play Owen behind the two front men where he might get some space to be half useful.

Or anything but a 4-4-2 formation that will obviously fail without bassong

I'd rather see: Geremi Cacapa Coloccini Enrque

Neither Chelsea or Stoke are raping us with pace, and while that whole "experience in a relegation battle" jargon is rubbish, I'd much rather see the two bald men infront than Edgar.

No Beye? :idiot2:

Neither Chelsea or Stoke are raping us with pace, and while that whole "experience in a relegation battle" jargon is rubbish, I'd much rather see the two bald men infront than Edgar.

That's right. Beye's Back! I forgot. I also forgot that Ryan Taylor can play right back. Things aren't actually that bad then.

That's right. Beye's Back! I forgot. I also forgot that Ryan Taylor can play right back. Things aren't actually that bad then.

You're excused then! :)

Do some people not realise that Ryan Taylor is actually a right back? Thats his favoured position. I think Beye would do a very good job in the middle actually. If he does end up playing there and does a good job then i wouldn't hesitate to keep him there for the rest of the season alongisde Bassong (if fit) and put S.Taylor or R.Taylor at right back. It might sound stupid putting S.Taylor at right back when you've got Beye in the middle but we've seen many times before how Taylors errors can cost us when he's in the middle. He is decent making runs foward though and I quitel ike the look  of him at right back. I reckon Beye and Bassong would be very solid in the middle and we would have more pace than we would with Colo. I haven't given up on Colo but he is making some horrible decisios at the minute and he's totally of form.