Olly Bernard

Thespence

Such a weird career. Remember when he got that first goal for us against Blackburn I think. He was supposed to be this youngster for the future. 3 years later his career was pretty much over.

was a good player here but he made a silly choice at the end. none to blame but him.

He was getting paid tuppence in comparison to other players, when he'd been one of our best and most consistent performers. Fair enough we can slag footballers off for wanting more cash, when they're already on extortionate sums, but when you're working for a company and are performing miles better than the majority of your other colleagues, then asking for a wage rise is understandable.

I can't imagine how smug Shepherd's face must have been the morning Roeder walked through the door with Bernard. "There's four grand a week mate, up to you."

:( Loved Bernard.

was a good player here but he made a silly choice at the end. none to blame but him.

He was forced out by shitheadSouness for asking for a 300% pay rise.  That's all that really made the press at the time Bernard demands 300% pay rise & all that crap.  What wasn't mentioned was that he was on a £5k per week contract and was asking for the huge sum of £15k per week.

So we fucked him off & replaced him by paying £1m for Babayaro and paid him £25k per week.  Great business there.

No real surprise that Bernard's best mate in the team at the time was Robert.  Bernard used to translate for Robert & without him there to help Souness was able to shit all over the best left sided played we've had since Ginola.

Losing Bernard should have been a sign of what was to come but no one really made too much of it because of the way his pay demands were leaked to the press.

He was forced out by shitheadSouness for asking for a 300% pay rise.  That's all that really made the press at the time Bernard demands 300% pay rise & all that crap.  What wasn't mentioned was that he was on a £5k per week contract and was asking for the huge sum of £15k per week.

I am not sure where you go that figure from but Lee Clark at the time said at a talk in  that Olly was wanting £50K from NUFC & the club were unwilling.

Guest Heneage

I always had a soft spot for him, along with Robert they made a cracking left side. I saw one of the quotes from Bernard blaming Souness.

I always had a soft spot for him, along with Robert they made a cracking left side. I saw one of the quotes from Bernard blaming Souness.

yes he was saying the start of NUFC's decline was when Souness arrived.  He's right as well.

Was a really good read actually, i thought he was a bit of a knob the way he left but can tell he still loves the club.  Despite being French and his career is over as settled down back here and about to open a french cafe/restaurant.

Was brilliant when we played Inter Milan in the San Siro. Stood head and shoulders above everyone else that night. :thup:

Yup. Before that I had my doubts about him but that game really made him for me.

Guest Heneage

Was brilliant when we played Inter Milan in the San Siro. Stood head and shoulders above everyone else that night. :thup:

Yup. Before that I had my doubts about him but that game really made him for me.

Was that the 2-2? I remember he was against Conceicao who spent the entire night rolling around like a complete baby. 

Was that the 2-2? I remember he was against Conceicao who spent the entire night rolling around like a complete baby. 

Yup. I vividly remember that as well about Conceicao, Bernard had him in his back pocket.

Yup. I vividly remember that as well about Conceicao, Bernard had him in his back pocket.

Thought we were looking at a contender for Europe's top left back, that night. Absolutely stonking performance, both going forwards and backwards. All while hamstrung by Conceicao's compatriot referee.

Yeah he was immense that night, and me too Jonny. I'd always thought he was a bit shit up until that point. Completely changed his NUFC career. I've rarely seen players do that; go from obscurity to near brilliance in one night and then keep it up for the remainder of his time.

Gah. I loved Bernard! He was my favourite player after Shearer at the time, no doubt; i was furious when he left. Went for buttons n'all; something like £400k.

Standard when you're a Portuguese wideman