Squad for Next Season AKA The Thread of Optimism

Stu

Having quickly become tired of reading the same posts Ashley/Kinnear/NUFC-bashing and discussing the inevitable Armageddon on May 24th, I'm wondering what you would do with our squad for next season.

Currently:

GK - Harper, Krul, Forster, (Soderberg)

Def - Coloccini, Bassong, S.Taylor, Edgar, Cacapa, Beye, R. Taylor, Jose Enrique, (Kadar, Lough, Tozer, Morris)

Mid - Nolan, Barton, Duff, Jonas, Guthrie, Geremi, Butt, Lua Lua, (Doninger, Marwood, Inman, Godsmark)

Fwd - Martins, Owen, Smith, Xisco, Ameobi, Lovenkrands, Carroll, Viduka, (Wiafe Danquah, Ngo Baheng, Donaldson, Ranger)

As we're unsure of our division status, feel free to post a premier league and a championship squad. Try not to go for specific names or we could be here all day...

Stupeedo's NUFC Premier League Squad 2009/10

GK - Harper (Krul)

Res: Forster, Soderberg

RB: Beye (R.Taylor)

LB: Jose Enrique (Kadar)

CB: Colocinni (Taylor)

CB: Bassong (*experienced back-up CB*)

Res: Tozer, Lough, Morris, Tavernier

Sell/Remove: Cacapa, Edgar

RW: *new right winger* (Lua Lua)

LW: Jonas (Duff)

CM: Barton (Guthrie)

CM: *new box-to-box CM* (Nolan)

Res: Butt, Doninger, Ngo Baheng, Inman

Sell/Remove: Geremi, Marwood, Godsmark

CF: Martins (Lovenkrands)

CF: Xisco (Carroll)

Res: Ameobi, Ranger, Donaldson, Wiafe Danquah, Donaldson, Vukcic

Sell/Remove: Owen, Smith, Viduka

Not a massive overhaul of the squad, most of the departures are 'experienced' players who have had little game-time over the last few years and have mostly been a drain on resources. I'd try and bring in a few more promising players to go with the 'money' signings of a new CM and a new RW.

In: Experienced CB for cover, Right Winger (must have pace), marquee box-to-box midfielder, various promising youngsters/lower league players.

Out: Cacapa, Edgar, Geremi, Marwood, Godsmark, Owen, Smith, Viduka

If we can get money for Ameobi then I'd be happy to sell, otherwise he's a decent enough squad player and can be used as an example for the younger kids (i.e. what not to do..!)

Stupeedo's NUFC Championship Squad 2009/10

GK - Harper (Krul)

Res: Forster, Soderberg

RB: Beye (Tavernier)

LB: Jose Enrique (Lough)

CB: Taylor (Kadar)

CB: *experienced CB* (Edgar)

Res: Tozer, Morris,

Sell/Remove: Coloccini, Bassong, Cacapa,

RW: R. Taylor (Lua Lua)

LW: Duff (Godsmark)

CM: Guthrie (Butt)

CM: Nolan (Inman)

Res: Doninger, Marwood, Adeji, Ngo Baheng

Sell/Remove: Jonas, Barton, Geremi,

CF: Lovenkrands (*new pacy young-ish striker with some league experience*)

CF: Carroll (Ranger/Ameobi)

Res: Donaldson, Wiafe Danquah, Donaldson, Vukcic

Sell/Remove: Owen, Smith, Viduka, Martins, Xisco

Slight change of tack with this one as I can't see the international quality players realistically staying to ply their trade in the Championship; however, with every cloud there is something of a silver lining.

In this case, our wage bill is massively reduced and allows the club to cotinue to rebuild it's financial foundations. Futhermore, the spine of the remaining squad is still quite strong and should be suited to Championship-level football [insert topical Ashley joke/jibe]

In: Experienced CB to partner Taylor, Quick Striker with league experience, Winger to replace Jonas and add a bit of flair, various squad-fillers (Def, Mid)

Out: Coloccini, Bassong, Cacapa, Jonas, Barton, Geremi, Owen, Smith, Viduka, Martins, Xisco

===================

I've tried to be somewhat realistic about this, if we do get relegated we'll not be splashing the cash and I think if we stay up, we'll only make a couple of considered signings rather than the 6-7 changes that have traditionally happened.

All of this relies upon having a half-decent manager...but thats for another thread

Don't think there's a cat in hell's chance Beye & Enrique will stay if we go down. There'll be several top French clubs that would take Beye back, and you'd imagine some mid-table to UEFA Cup Spanish sides would look at Enrique.

Spot on. Even Steven T leaves if we go down.

Don't think there's a cat in hell's chance Beye & Enrique will stay if we go down. There'll be several top French clubs that would take Beye back, and you'd imagine some mid-table to UEFA Cup Spanish sides would look at Enrique.

Can think of one or two top 4 sides in the premier league who'd take Habib on as a first choice RB

Can think of one or two top 4 sides in the premier league who'd take Habib on as a first choice RB

I can't TBH.

I can't TBH.

Liverpool might.

???

He'll be one of the first out IMO.

Can't be fucked to do squad but first XI i'd like to see something like the following....

Prem:

Harper

Beye

New CB

Bassong

Jose

New RM

Barton

New CM

Jonas

Martins

New CF

All apart from the youngsters and Guthrie/S.Taylor/R.Taylor can leave.

Championship:

Harper

R.Taylor

New CB

New CB

New LB/Kadar

New RM

New CM

Guthrie

New LM

Carroll/New CF

New CF

???

Thought he'd recently signed a new contract after much whingeing in the press about not getting his equal share? Think the offer of captaincy and the chance to lead the club straight back up under a new manager might keep him here at least a season - it won't do his u-21 chances any harm (he's got until 2010 hasn't he?)

As for Beye - think he'd be in demand but possibly would like to give the club another season before heading back to France (if we're not back in the Premiership).

Enrique - again, in demand but he's under contract and I don't think we can afford to make a loss on him (doubt we'll get £6mil for a 'Championship' LB)

Think these two could be kept on, they both seem to have taken to the club a little and settled fairly well. Coloccini and Bassong will have interest and the loss on Colo will be equalled by the Bassong profit.

Championship:

Harper

R.Taylor

New CB

New CB

New LB/Kadar

New RM

New CM

Guthrie

New LM

Carroll/New CF

New CF

That's some squad overhaul...think we can realistically get 16-18 new players in/out and settled by an early August KO?

Championship:

Harper

R.Taylor

New CB

New CB

New LB/Kadar

New RM

New CM

Guthrie

New LM

Carroll/New CF

New CF

That's some squad overhaul...think we can realistically get 16-18 new players in/out and settled by an early August KO?

Can't see any of the rest wanting to stay/us being able to afford them in the league below. Obviously you'd love to keep Taylor,Beye,Enrique but i can't for the life of me see it happening.

Martins, Jonas, Colo, Bassong, Owen, Duke will all leave regardless

Duff, Smith, Nolan, Geremi and that will move if we can find a buyer - suddenly you aren't left with much.

Really would be starting again from scratch and although the positives of going down are minimal if at all, being able to flog the shite that infests our squad and start again is one of them. Unfortunately i wouldn't trust those in charge to be able to do this effectively.

EDIT: I'd like to see Lovenkrands get a new contract if we go down, possibly Lua Lua in first team although ive not seen enough of him to judge properly.

???

Dave, he's not as good as he thinks he is :rolleyes:

Championship:

Harper

R.Taylor

New CB

New CB

New LB/Kadar

New RM

New CM

Guthrie

New LM

Carroll/New CF

New CF

Can't see any of the rest wanting to stay/us being able to afford them in the league below. Obviously you'd love to keep Taylor,Beye,Enrique but i can't for the life of me see it happening.

Duff, Smith, Nolan, Geremi and that will move if we can find a buyer - suddenly you aren't left with much.

Really would be starting again from scratch and although the positives of going down are minimal if at all, being able to flog the shite that infests our squad and start again is one of them. Unfortunately i wouldn't trust those in charge to be able to do this effectively.

For all of the bad feeling directed his way, Wise has brought in:

Zamblera (before his arrival?)

Soderberg

Jonas

Guthrie

Bassong

Coloccini

Ranger

Xisco

Gonzalez (loan)

Lovenkrands

Vuckic

Nolan

Ryan Taylor

Obviously there's a few kids in there, but they've shown some glimpses of something, the other signings (IMO) have been of the quality required for the club.

The main concern should be about whether or not he brings in ENOUGH players of the necessary quality, which appears to have been the sticking point for many people with regards to this season's squad.

I think we'll have more of a say (or more of a chance) in keeping those players who are a little younger and have 3 or 4 years left on their deals. We're pretty much guaranteeing them a season of first team football and a chance to be a part of the SJP 'rebuilding' project.

From then on, it's going to be down to the choice of manager.

Harper

R Taylor --- Edgar --- ??? --- ???

??? --- Nolan --- Guthrie --- Duff

Ameobi --- Lovenkrands

Other first teamers (who are currently here): Krul, Forster, Butt, Smith.

If we go down our squad will absolutely disintegrate.

Yes some of the players Wise has been alleged to have brought in have been decent but we're on the verge on going down he is director (football) and therefore should take responsibility. First team transfer dealings have been woeful, academy has been promising.

???

Dave, he's not as good as he thinks he is :rolleyes:

I agree. But he'd still get a Premier League club and we'd make a relatively tidy profit on him...

Harper

R Taylor --- Edgar --- ??? --- ???

??? --- Nolan --- Guthrie --- Duff

Ameobi --- Lovenkrands

Other first teamers (who are currently here): Krul, Forster, Butt, Smith.

If we go down our squad will absolutely disintegrate.

paying cunts like him £70k p/w in the Championship is asking to go bust. We'll be begging people to take him and Smith off our hands, hopefully they won't be bellends and try bleed the club dry and will just fuck off.

I bet my house that Damien Duff and Alan Smith will still be in our squad next season, regardless of what division they're in. And you're absolutely right, the likes of them will absolutely fuck us up financially. Yet another reason why going down would be an absolute catastrophe.

I bet my house that Damien Duff and Alan Smith will still be in our squad next season, regardless of what division they're in. And you're absolutely right, the likes of them will absolutely fuck us up financially. Yet another reason why going down would be an absolute catastrophe.

Think Smith might get snapped up by the likes of Pompey, Everton or Stoke - think he'd go as well if it meant taking a wage reduction to stay in the Premierleague.

As for Duff, he's only got another year on his deal so we might be able to offer him a few more years for less money. He's actually been half-decent this season...

Think Smith might get snapped up by the likes of Pompey, Everton or Stoke - think he'd go as well if it meant taking a wage reduction to stay in the Premierleague.

As for Duff, he's only got another year on his deal so we might be able to offer him a few more years for less money. He's actually been half-decent this season...

:lol: In contrast to previous seasons i guess he has, aye. Shite player, he'd probably do a job in the Championship so if do go down i won't be too disappointed to see his contract renewed - at a lesser price as you say.

:lol: In contrast to previous seasons i guess he has, aye. Shite player, he'd probably do a job in the Championship so if do go down i won't be too disappointed to see his contract renewed - at a lesser price as you say.

Fuck that. Get the cunt out, get someone young and hungry in. Off the top of my head George Boyd from P'boro, get McClean/Beckford n all while we're at it.

Championship:

Harper

R.Taylor

New CB

New CB

New LB/Kadar

New RM

New CM

Guthrie

New LM

Carroll/New CF

New CF

Really would be starting again from scratch and although the positives of going down are minimal if at all, being able to flog the s**** that infests our squad and start again is one of them. Unfortunately i wouldn't trust those in charge to be able to do this effectively.

For all of the bad feeling directed his way, Wise has brought in:

Zamblera (before his arrival?)

Soderberg

Jonas

Guthrie

Bassong

Coloccini

Ranger

Xisco

Gonzalez (loan)

Lovenkrands

Vuckic

Nolan

Ryan Taylor

Obviously there's a few kids in there, but they've shown some glimpses of something, the other signings (IMO) have been of the quality required for the club.

The main concern should be about whether or not he brings in ENOUGH players of the necessary quality, which appears to have been the sticking point for many people with regards to this season's squad.

I think we'll have more of a say (or more of a chance) in keeping those players who are a little younger and have 3 or 4 years left on their deals. We're pretty much guaranteeing them a season of first team football and a chance to be a part of the SJP 'rebuilding' project.

From then on, it's going to be down to the choice of manager.

The only signing Wise has supposedly made of any quality for the first team so far has been Jonas (Unless Jeff Vetere spotted him). The rest have either been not good enough or spotted by Keegan/Kinnear. Think he should stick to scouting the kiddies & we can get someone else in.