Vancouver White Caps Given MLS Status.....

NG32

For 2011, this is big news in Vancouver at the moment they seem to be chuffed to bits.

The owners released 4k of season tickets and were all sold within 48 hours.

They plan to relase a few more thousand but will round it off at 16k for the first few seasons.

I sincerely hope that the Portland Timbers soon follow. It will be great to have the NW so well represented in the MLS.

They've been given MLS status for 2011 as well.

I thought it was still conditional - stadium issues of somekind.

Can't say anything bad about the way the MLS goes about expansion.

NY are godawful. NUFC would put 10 past them.

saw them play Real Salt Lake at home when I was over there in September.

Is Angel one of the best paid players in the league?  Looked so unmotivated and half-hearted.  Must be easy money.

I have no idea how much he makes, but even in full don't give a shit mode, he seems to still be the best on the team.

Can't say anything bad about the way the MLS goes about expansion.

NY are godawful. NUFC would put 10 past them.

saw them play Real Salt Lake at home when I was over there in September.

Is Angel one of the best paid players in the league?  Looked so unmotivated and half-hearted.  Must be easy money.

I have no idea how much he makes, but even in full don't give a s*** mode, he seems to still be the best on the team.

yeah, it wasn't similar to what Sunday league is over here.  Just hoof it clear, don't bother trying to turn defence into attack.

Have to say in a strange way I enjoyed the game.  It was just the little things that are done differently over your way, eg. putting a PA announcement out when someone gets a booking, and also announcing who got the assist.  That stuff isn't done over here.

I did chuckle when the nutter NY fans behind one of the goals shouted "you suck asshole" everytime the RSL keeper took a goal kick.  :lol:

Do any teams play in black and white like us?

Not in the MLS. For the most part North American teams stay away from B&W stripes due to its common usage by referees (especially in basketball and American football). A minor league team called the Richmond Kickers used to play in B&W but they changed to red a few years back. I think that was the only one.

Not in the MLS. For the most part North American teams stay away from B&W stripes due to its common usage by referees (especially in basketball and American football). A minor league team called the Richmond Kickers used to play in B&W but they changed to red a few years back. I think that was the only one.

Thanks, some new team should do it, maybe Philly?

Two cities that really need teams:  St. Louis (the cradle of football in America) and Montreal.  The stadium in Montreal is magnificent and the crowd there is very cultured and knowledgable.  I was fortunate enough to be in Montreal when Italy won the World Cup and it was great to be in a city that actually celebrated.  The streets filled with people and cars waving Italian flags around - the high percentage of French in Montreal took it very well too.  Anyway I digress, those are two great footballing cities that each need a club.  There are no teams from Chicago to Houston and Colorado to Columbus/DC.  It is ridiculous to see such a large swath of America being completely left for dead.  And I won't even mention being in Florida and there not being a first division club here or anywhere in the South East for that matter.

Guest Heneage

I will also say that it was great to see Seattle do such a great job with opening night there.  Great crowd and great atmosphere, good to see a town that really appreciates it. 

And that Moreno looks one hell of a player.

Thanks, some new team should do it, maybe Philly?

It'll never happen. It's like CaliMag says. Between referees and footlocker employees, black and white stripes aren't the same here.

Just a question, I want a seatle shirt, why are the "replica" shirts $70, "authentic" shirts are $90. Its crazy.

If they're adidas the authentic ones will have the lining in or some shit. Just get a replica one.

I'm glad to see the MLS going to the Northwest also, even though I'm NYC based. I think the MLS has gotten it right with many of the recent expansions-go to where there are passionate sports fans that will support this, who don't have many other entertainment outlets. Miami wouldn't work because there's no passion there for more sports, even though it's a big market with a seemingly natural fan base of many Hispanics. They have so much else going on down there, and as it is, they barely support the established sports teams like the Marlins. But, as seen in Seattle, which was desperate for a team to get behind, the fans came out in stunning force, and it clearly will be sustained for some time, as seen in the relatively incredible season ticket sales. Portland and Vancouver seem to fit this model also, I can see Montreal working well also. Philly is such a passionate sports city, I am pretty sure their new team will be well supported as well, similar to how Toronto has been supported with their famous (relatively) Red Army. Basically, I hope the MLS continues on their well thought-out recent path, with smart expansion, soccer-specific stadiums, etc. I'd love to eventually become a real MLS fan, and hope that it does begin to catch on as a legitimate sporting option in an otherwise very crowded sports landscape.