Wigan to rename JJB stadium

Fenham Mag

THE DW STADIUM

Posted on: Wed 25 Mar 2009

Club confirms stadium to adopt a new name in the summer.

Wigan Athletic are delighted to announce that after ten years as the JJB Stadium, their home will have a new name from August 1 2009 of this year, the DW STADIUM.

Latics Chairman Dave Whelan has just launched his latest commercial venture, DW Sports Fitness.Com, following the purchase of the nationwide chain of Fitness Clubs from his former company.

Mr Whelan explained: "The contract for the naming rights for the stadium was for a duration of ten years, and incredible as it sounds, that date comes around in August.

"The JJB Stadium has made the town of Wigan known all over the world. Football is such a global sport these days that the Premier League is watched by an audience of billions weekly.

"It makes me very proud to know that our little corner of Wigan has got such a global profile.

"We have had some famous days here at the stadium if you think of all the great games that have been hosted since 1999.

"Now we can look forward to a whole new era as the DW Stadium!"

Article continues

Advertisement

DW Sportsfitness Marketing Director Winston Higham said: "In this ever changing retail landscape DW Sportsfitness are an authentic sporting goods retailer offering a broad assortment of brand name sporting goods, equipment, footwear and apparel.

"This product offering operating alongside state of the art Fitness Clubs with innovative cutting edge equipment offering an exciting and unique customer experience focused on value, customer loyalty and service."

http://www.wiganlatics.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10429~1602350,00.html

Imagine this will do his ego (Dave Whelan)  the world of good. DW stadium = D*** W***ers Stadium tbh.

Guest Mucky01

from what I’ve heard JJB were supposed to be going into administration today because of an outstanding bank loan and Mike Ashley has been accused by Whelan of spoiling their rescue package.

Bit of a coincidence this name change malarky?

What an egotistical, pompous t*** having a stadium named after him

To be fair, if i owned a club, id do the same  :lol:

And put myself up front most games.

I know Kinnear is a bit of a yes man but Ashley up front?  :kinnear:

Guest toonlass

What an egotistical, pompous twat having a stadium named after him

So when can we expect the headlines of our stadium being renamed the "Mike Ashley is a Geordie hero and not part of the Cockney Mafia Stadium"?

So when can we expect the headlines of our stadium being renamed the "Mike Ashley is a Geordie hero and not part of the Cockney Mafia Stadium"?

Not seen the Chronicle tonight?  :undecided:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/03/25/ashley-decides-to-change-stadium-name-72703-23228504/

Not seen the Chronicle tonight?  :undecided:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/03/25/ashley-decides-to-change-stadium-name-72703-23228504/

Totally thought i was about to be rick-rolled there.

Guest fading star

Dave Whelan laying into Ashley on radio 5.

“There’s no chance of Steve Bruce ever going to Newcastle while Ashey is the owner”

“There’s no chance of Steve Bruce ever going to Newcastle while Ashey is the owner”

Laying into Ashley or telling the truth? No manager worth his salt would touch Newcastle.

Guest fading star

Laying into Ashley or telling the truth? No manager worth his salt would touch Newcastle.

He also had a pop about him wearing jeans and how it’s disrespectful to NUFC.  :laugh: