Keith Gillespie - My favourite player from 95-99 era

HawK

A player that I certainly took for granted in his time at SJP. Pace and can cross, who can do that now in the Premiership? Skinned players for fun while planting inch perfect crosses on the heads of our number 9s.

I saw his contribution in the Newcastle Barcelona match, not only did he pretty much single-handedly destroyed their back line, he was marking a certain Luis Felipe Figo, playing in his prime.

How can it be so hard now with the amount of money going into academies and into football to produce players like this, to run and to cross a ball into the box.

One of my favourite ever Newcastle players.  :clap:

A player that I certainly took for granted in his time at SJP. Pace and can cross, who can do that now in the Premiership? Skinned players for fun while planting inch perfect crosses on the heads of our number 9s.

I saw his contribution in the Newcastle Barcelona match, not only did he pretty much single-handedly destroyed their back line, he was marking a certain Luis Felipe Figo, playing in his prime.

How can it be so hard now with the amount of money going into academies and into football to produce players like this, to run and to cross a ball into the box.

He wasn't marking anyone that night, he was giving their left back a right royal raping.

Good player, unplayable on his day - far too few of those days though.

Wondered that for a long time. It's even more pathetic that they can't do it from a dead ball.

very underrated player in that team of ours. Only Nobby has done better than he did since he left. He also played for a while up front through the middle when Shearer was out and Arsprilla was arse farting around doing nothing as was pretty normal for him, and Gillespie never got the credit he deserved for sticking it out and giving it his best shot.

Served him in the bookies a few times and he was an absolute cock muncher mind.

care to elaborate sir? Heard he liked a bet in his day

Ask anyone from the Gosforth area where you could find Keith when he wasn't in training.  Used to see him go into Ladbrokes on Gosforth High Street and not surface again for 2-3 hours.

He was an immense player on his day, but that day started to get fewer & further between throughout his career with us.  Having seen how he could play against teams like Barcelona it was incredibly frustrating when he struggled to reach the same heights against less impressive opponents.

too many teams basically play with 4 central midfielders. It started with teams like Chelsea and Arsenal playing all their football through the middle and of course the defenively minded managers like Souness who would justify it with stupid notions about football becoming more and more 'cat and mouse' and the need to build a 'solid foundation'

f*** off Phil Neville you ork looking c***.

This - was never the same player after Neville crocked him at OT in 95/96 ; poss even cost us the title with that tackle as we lost him for quite a while and he was moderate when he returned - the Barcelona game was a glorious swan-song of his career.

very underrated player in that team of ours. Only Nobby has done better than he did since he left. He also played for a while up front through the middle when Shearer was out and Arsprilla was arse farting around doing nothing as was pretty normal for him, and Gillespie never got the credit he deserved for sticking it out and giving it his best shot.

the sentence in bold is the only reason you posted in this thread  :razz: it's unlike you to actually join in when talking about football if it's nowt to do with shepherd and ashley  :-X

as for Gillespie, I think he was underrated as he came in the deal that took Cole to Man U. At the time I felt cheated, and wasn't sure what value Gillespie would bring us. Totally changed my mind that season he, Ferdinand, Beardsley and Ginola ripped the league apart.

ahhhhh those good old days

A very average player, who sometimes could cross a decent ball when he felt like it. A NUFC great ? Hardly.

First six months before his major injury, he was a smashing winger. Extremely direct, good technique on the ball, fast runner and quick off the mark, very good crossing ability.

Had he stayed fit, we'd have won the 95-96 title without a shadow of a doubt.