Bruce will not manage NUFC while Ashley is in charge - Whelan

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

Bruce 'will not work for Ashley' 

Geordie Bruce has been at the JJB Stadium since 2005

Steve Bruce does not want to become Newcastle United manager while owner Mike Ashley is at the club, according to Wigan chief Dave Whelan.

Bruce is widely regarded as a Newcastle fan and has previously been linked with the St James' Park hot-seat.

"There's no chance of Steve going to Newcastle while Ashley is involved, if you ask him he will say the same," Whelan told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"There's no doubt he'll leave us but it will be to join one of the big four."

Whelan added: "There's only one job that Steve is really, really interested in and that's not too far away from the JJB Stadium.

"When Sir Alex Ferguson decides he's had enough at Old Trafford then I fear that Manchester United will come in for Steve.

"I don't think they'll get a better manager to replace Sir Alex than Steve Bruce."

Bruce, 48, took over from Chris Hutchings in November 2007 and led the Latics to 14th that season.

Wigan are currently seventh in this season's table and if they finish better than 10th it will their highest Premier League placing since joining the elite in 2005.

bbc

Guest fading star

Good cause we don't need him here.....

Who do you think will be managing NUFC next season?

Bruce 'will not work for Ashley' 

Geordie Bruce has been at the JJB Stadium since 2005

Steve Bruce does not want to become Newcastle United manager while owner Mike Ashley is at the club, according to Wigan chief Dave Whelan.

Bruce is widely regarded as a Newcastle fan and has previously been linked with the St James' Park hot-seat.

"There's no chance of Steve going to Newcastle while Ashley is involved, if you ask him he will say the same," Whelan told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"There's no doubt he'll leave us but it will be to join one of the big four."

Whelan added: "There's only one job that Steve is really, really interested in and that's not too far away from the JJB Stadium.

"When Sir Alex Ferguson decides he's had enough at Old Trafford then I fear that Manchester United will come in for Steve.

"I don't think they'll get a better manager to replace Sir Alex than Steve Bruce."

Bruce, 48, took over from Chris Hutchings in November 2007 and led the Latics to 14th that season.

Wigan are currently seventh in this season's table and if they finish better than 10th it will their highest Premier League placing since joining the elite in 2005.

bbc

Nothing to do with the way that Ashley is trying to screw JJB Fitness Clubs into the ground.

None of the "Big 4" will touch Bruce, if they do replace their managers they'll go for people with Champion's League experience, not someone who has zero experience outside English football.  If he wants a chance to manage a Champion's League team he's going to either have to leave the country or get a currently lower placed team up there.

Guest sicko2ndbest

A bit more

Dave Whelan launches broadside at Mike AshleyGraham Chase

Dave Whelan, the Wigan Athletic chairman, accused Mike Ashley, the Newcastle United owner, of having “no class” yesterday and vehemently denied that there was any prospect of Steve Bruce, the manager, being tempted to leave the club for St James’ Park.

Whelan — who is renaming Wigan’s ground the DW Stadium from next season after his new business venture, through which he has bought the fitness clubs from JJB, his former company — is angered by the behaviour of Ashley, who is a stakeholder in JJB and runs Sports Direct.

“I don’t trust him as far as I could throw him,” Whelan said of Ashley. “He’s got what he deserved at Newcastle. Newcastle are a very big club and you don’t go in there and lower all the standards. He turns up wearing a replica top in the boardroom. No class whatsoever. The minute he arrived there and turned up in the boardroom in a replica shirt and jeans and a pair of trainers, the club was gone.”

Whelan maintains that there is no chance of Bruce working for Ashley at Newcastle. “I don’t think you will ever get Steve Bruce going to a club that is run the way Mike Ashley runs it,” Whelan said. “He knows he could go and he knows he could go to Newcastle. Would he go? No chance. He loves being at this club. He is happy here.

“I know he will go in the end and if I was Man United when Sir Alex [Ferguson] decides to hang up his boots, I don’t think there is any doubt they will come.”

Times

Guest fading star

“I don’t trust him as far as I could throw him,” Whelan said of Ashley. “He’s got what he deserved at Newcastle. Newcastle are a very big club and you don’t go in there and lower all the standards. He turns up wearing a replica top in the boardroom. No class whatsoever. The minute he arrived there and turned up in the boardroom in a replica shirt and jeans and a pair of trainers, the club was gone.”

:laugh: Bruce going to MU might be rubbish, but this is uncomfortably near the mark. 

Guest toonlass

You know that Steve Bruce is going to end up managing Newcastle one day. Dave Whelan hates Mike Ashley so what? Old news.

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Sadly, there's no chance of anyone even remotely half-decent who would touch us with Ashley in charge.