Nigerian International Team <-- more overrated than England.

Stu

Think of the players who have burst onto the scene from Nigeria over the years, particularly the last 10 or so,

Daniel Amokachi

Tijani Babangida

Celestine Babayaro

Nwankwo Kanu

Garba Lawal

Jay-Jay Okocha

Sunday Oliseh

Taribo West

Chinedu Obasi

Victor Nsofor Obinna

Victor Anichebe

Obafemi Martins

Nwankwo Kanu

John Obi Mikel

Taye Taiwo

Joseph Yobo

Finidi George

Julius Aghahowa

Victor Ikpeba

Yakubu

Augustine Okocha

They've got a relatively 'easy' qualification continent in Africa (only CONCAF is easier) for the World Cup but they've only made the second round twice (knocked out both times).

As for one of the better (more developed?) nations in Africa, it's amazing to see that they've only won the African Cup of Nations twice (1980 and 1994).

1994-98 was supposedly their golden era with an Olympic Gold...

What a joke country!

Cant wait til Babatunde sees this :lol:

:lol: I'm a bit stunned to being sitting to someone (let me be nice) calling my country a joke for "only" winning the ACN twice and "only" making the WC second round twice (We've qualified three times ffs, and in 1994 Baggio sing handedly knocked us out). The team only really got going as a power (even in Africa) in the 80's. It's not like Nigeria have been some perennial force. I'm 19, and I watched all the playes you listed play. The team has generally been very competitive. Look at our performance in the ACN

1994 - Champions

1996 - Withdrew from tournament

1998 - Disqualified for failure to participate in 1996

2000 - Second place

2002 - Third place

2004 - Third place

2006 - Third place

2008 - Quarterfinals (lost to host team and biggest rival)

We are certainly not a joke. I compare us to Holland often because we are generally feared and have been very close, but have not racked alot of medals due to internal issues and general luck.

I'm amazed how fast I can type when I'm angry btw. :lol:

Cant wait til Babatunde sees this  :lol:

:lol: I'm a bit stunned to being sitting to someone (let me be nice) calling my country a joke for "only" winning the ACN twice and "only" making the WC second round twice (We've qualified three times ffs, and in 1994 Baggio sing handedly knocked us out). The team only really got going as a power (even in Africa) in the 80's. It's not like Nigeria have been some perennial force. I'm 19, and I watched all the playes you listed play. The team has generally been very competitive. Look at our performance in the ACN

1994 - Champions

2000 - Second place

2002 - Third place

2004 - Third place

2006 - Third place

We are certainly not a joke. I compare us to Holland often because we are generally feared and have been very close, but have not racked alot of medals due to internal issues and general luck.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think is Nigeria's strongest XI ?

To be honest, that list is a little like saying "oh, but Newcastle have won trophies recently...just look at our Inter-toto Cup...and this Divison One championship...yes, I know the Premiership was about...but it's still a First Division winner's medal...what about that there Texaco Cup...no?"

How can you have so many good players (and quality managers) yet do so badly?

Whats funny here is the FACT that even Sweden has done more since 1966 then England  :lol:             (medals won)

Nothing funny about Sweden winning anything, ever. Same goes for Denmark. They're the devils, they need being burnt. :(

To be honest, that list is a little like saying "oh, but Newcastle have won trophies recently...just look at our Inter-toto Cup...and this Divison One championship...yes, I know the Premiership was about...but it's still a First Division winner's medal...what about that there Texaco Cup...no?"

Look we just fired Berti F**** Vogts and hired Shabiu Amodu, so you can f*** off with telling me we've had quality managers tbh :lol: Saying Nigeria havn't been good in my lifetime is like saying that Newcastle weren't good form the mid 90's to the early 2000's. Except, unlike my club, my country actaully won a few things and helped pave the way for other teams. Also, frankly, I just made a whole post explaining that Nigeria have no done badly, so I don't know what else to say on that.

Think of the players who have burst onto the scene from Nigeria over the years, particularly the last 10 or so,

Daniel Amokachi

Tijani Babangida

--> Celestine Babayaro <--

Nwankwo Kanu

Garba Lawal

Jay-Jay Okocha

Sunday Oliseh

Taribo West

Chinedu Obasi

Victor Nsofor Obinna

Victor Anichebe

Obafemi Martins

Nwankwo Kanu

John Obi Mikel

Taye Taiwo

Joseph Yobo

Finidi George

Julius Aghahowa

Victor Ikpeba

Yakubu

Augustine Okocha

They've got a relatively 'easy' qualification continent in Africa (only CONCAF is easier) for the World Cup but they've only made the second round twice (knocked out both times).

As for one of the better (more developed?) nations in Africa, it's amazing to see that they've only won the African Cup of Nations twice (1980 and 1994).

1994-98 was supposedly their golden era with an Olympic Gold...

What a joke country!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cant wait til Babatunde sees this  :lol:

1994 - Champions

2000 - Second place

2002 - Third place

2004 - Third place

2006 - Third place

Just out of curiosity, what do you think is Nigeria's strongest XI ?

That's a good question. I'll be damned if anyone actaully knows the answer. Certainly not our coaches. I'll do a simple 4-4-2, even though the coach prefers a formation more like 4-3-3/4-5-1

Victor Enyeama

Chidi Odiah        Joe Yobo      Apam        Taye Taiwo

Yussuf Ayila

Mikel Jon Obi        Christian Obodo

Oba                                                    Ikechukwu Uche

Aiyegbeni Yakubu

Actaully it is 4-3-3. That is preferred team with everyone fit. The coach plays different players o some of these though.

Look we just fired Berti F**** Vogts and hired Shabiu Amodu, so you can f*** off with telling me we've had quality managers tbh :lol: Saying Nigeria have havn't been good in my lifetime is like saying that Newcastle weren't good form the mid 90's to the early 2000's. Except, unlike my club, my country actaully one a few things and helped pave the way for other teams. Also, frankly, I just made a whole post explaining that Nigeria have no done badly, so I don't know what else to say on that.

And I made a whole post explaining that winning two tinpot trophies does not consitute success...Nigeria should be an African powerhouse and dominating this competition (along with qualifying regularly for the world cup since 1994).

Their reputation >>>>>>>>>> their achievement

Look we just fired Berti F**** Vogts and hired Shabiu Amodu, so you can f*** off with telling me we've had quality managers tbh :lol: Saying Nigeria have havn't been good in my lifetime is like saying that Newcastle weren't good form the mid 90's to the early 2000's. Except, unlike my club, my country actaully one a few things and helped pave the way for other teams. Also, frankly, I just made a whole post explaining that Nigeria have no done badly, so I don't know what else to say on that.

And I made a whole post explaining that winning two tinpot trophies does not consitute success...Nigeria should be an African powerhouse and dominating this competition (along with qualifying regularly for the world cup since 1994).

Their reputation >>>>>>>>>> their achievement

:lol: How exactly are the ACN and the Olympics tinpot trophies? They're the second and third biigest competitions Nigera can possibly win. Frankly the only time we've had far and away the best team in Africa was he period between 1994-1998 when they won ACN and the Olympics and had two decent world cups. That was also the period when we missed two tournaments because our military regime could not get along with Nelson Mandela. Since 2002, the team has been rebuilding really. The generation of the early 2000's was not up to par at all. Team is improving with the influx of players from 2005 WYC and such.

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW I think calling the ACN a tinpot trophy is severely lacking in class. Its Nigerias UEFA cup, its as simple as that.

Was Babangida actually any good ? I can't really remember seeing him play much, but he used to be amazing on the old PES games. 

Was Babangida actually any good ? I can't really remember seeing him play much, but he used to be amazing on the old PES games.

What, Tijani? Yeah, he was top class. He was a real quick tiny little player witha lot of skill. Found his way to Ajax and was one of the star players for a season or two. Then he got malaria or TD or something that kept him out of the team and he spent a few seasons on Ajax's bench or being loaned out to random Middle east sides. After that his career kind of petered out. Never really got to shine for the NT either because of being kept out by other players and Nigeria not participating in two ACN's during his prime. Regardless, he was very very good, just didn't have the career to match his talent.

Guest diddimz

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Okocha's name Augustine "Jay-Jay" Okocha? So listing him twice is a bit like putting Pele and Edison Arantes do Nascimento on the same list as different people?

Kany is up there twice though as well so i think its just trying to make it look like theres more names.

Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Okocha's name Augustine "Jay-Jay" Okocha? So listing him twice is a bit like putting Pele and Edison Arantes do Nascimento on the same list as different people?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ghana were at one stage - and still are i think........ stand to be corrected on this - the holders of the tag 'most African Championships won' . During this same period, i speak of the generation which included Pele and Yeboah, they still didn't seal a World Cup finals appearance.

There was always an emerging nation in their midst, such was the depth in widespread talent pool Africa. Cameroon and Nigeria in the 90's, and whilst they didn't have the same effect in the finals one could mention South Africa bolting out of the blue soonafter.

Nigeria are suffering in a similar way, to Ghana in the 80's and 90's. Widespread talent, hence the amount of  teams who have qualified since Cameroon's breakthrough appearance in Italy have been numerous. The African representation at the finals hasn't been nailed-on, it hasn't been the case of there being a select group of ring-ins akin to South America and the similarly comparable top-heavy nations in Europe.

To say that the actual qualification path in Africa is an easy one is a tad inaccurate. And when the likes of Nigeria do get grouped in a so-called group of death - with an Ivory Coast etc, and there have been a few of these over the same period as suggested in the original post - there are no second chances either, in the event of beaten to the post by one team.

Due to the quota of representation afforded to Africa there are no return plane tickets awarded to them, to face an outfit from another nation as a last gasp opportunity to qualify. The antithesis situation being the home and away ties featuring an Asian or Sth American and the winner Oceania region in the event of either *Sth American or Asian nation not qualifying via their own group phase. How the likes of Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon and others would have killed for the same opportunity last gasp opportunity handed to the likes of Argentina, Uruguay and Iraq.

*partly dependent on Blatter pleasing confederations with influence & voting power come Fifa predential election time.

Ghana were at one stage - and still are i think........ stand to be corrected on this - the holders of the tag 'most African Championships won' . During this same period, i speak of the generation which included Pele and Yeboah, they still didn't seal a World Cup finals appearance.

There was always an emerging nation in their midst, such was the depth in widespread talent pool Africa. Cameroon and Nigeria in the 90's, and whilst they didn't have the same effect in the finals one could mention South Africa bolting out of the blue soonafter.

Nigeria are suffering in a similar way, to Ghana in the 80's and 90's. Widespread talent, hence the amount of  teams who have qualified since Cameroon's breakthrough appearance in Italy have been numerous. The African representation at the finals hasn't been nailed-on, it hasn't been the case of there being a select group of ring-ins akin to South America and the similarly comparable top-heavy nations in Europe.

To say that the actual qualification path in Africa is an easy one is a tad inaccurate. And when the likes of Nigeria do get grouped in a so-called group of death - with an Ivory Coast etc, and there have been a few of these over the same period as suggested in the original post - there are no second chances either, in the event of beaten to the post by one team.

Due to the quota of representation afforded to Africa there are no return plane tickets awarded to them, to face an outfit from another nation as a last gasp opportunity to qualify. The antithesis situation being the home and away ties featuring an Asian or Sth American and the winner Oceania region in the event of either *Sth American or Asian nation not qualifying via their own group phase. How the likes of Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon and others would have killed for the same opportunity last gasp opportunity handed to the likes of Argentina, Uruguay and Iraq.

*partly dependent on Blatter pleasing confederations with influence & voting power come Fifa predential election time.

Good post all around. Ghana don't have the most African championships though. That's Egypt's honor. The talent level across Africa has increased alot even in the last ten years. Teams I would have as minnows suddenly have players plying their trade at the highest level, and you're right in that African qualification is not all that easy. Away matches can be a deep test of mental strength more than anything and as you say there are not second chances. Definitely Africa suffered from not sending its best in 2006. There was a chance to finally make a big impact and we ended up sending Angola and Togo (though full credit to them, was rightfully earned). While some teams have been constant for decades (Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Egypt), others are just massive flashes in the pan. Look at Senegal, break through team in 2002. They won't even be at the next nations cup, nevermind the World Cup.

Guest north shields lad

At the minute im finding it hard to get excited about England (and i used to follow them everywhere), i couldnt care less how a joke team like Nigeria perform.