Steve Bruce

beardsleymagic
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What'dya think? Given that Whelan comments might be born from an uneasy feeling that if the Toon come knocking this time, Bruce will be off.

Also, the comments Bruce has since made don't actually seem like the words of someone who doesn't want the job.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/03/28/steve-bruce-would-love-to-be-magpies-boss-61634-23251149/

Steve Bruce would love to be Magpies boss

Mar 28 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

HIS chairman at Wigan Dave Whelan may like to think he is not interested in the Newcastle United job, but Steve Bruce would love the chance to manage the club he once supported.

Whelan launched an extraordinary attack on Newcastle owner Mike Ashley this week as their relationship, already soured by years of bitter competition in business, took another nosedive.

As well as claiming Ashley – whose Sports Direct sport store is the main competitor to Whelan’s JJB Sports chain – had dragged Newcastle down with the way he runs the club and his lack of respect for normal boardroom behaviour, Whelan also insisted that Bruce would turn down the chance to manage Newcastle as long as he remained in charge.

However, The Journal understands that is not the case. Bruce has privately shown an interest in taking the United job on more than one occasion this season, most notably when Kevin Keegan walked out on the club back in September.

He has also told friends he would like to take the job if present manager Joe Kinnear decides he does not want to stay beyond the end of this season following his triple heart bypass operation.

That has made the Corbridge-born former Manchester United defender the obvious candidate to replace Kinnear, should the 62-year-old – who has still not signed the two-year contract he was offered before Christmas – decide not to take on the responsibility long-term.

A source close to Bruce said: “It is a job that interests him and he hasn’t tried to hide that from Newcastle either. They know how he feels. He is from the North East and it would be like coming home for him.

“He’s done an excellent job at Wigan and enjoys working there, but Newcastle are a much bigger club and it is a challenge he would like to take on in the future. I think even Dave Whelan realises that.”

Although Bruce, who would even consider taking the job if Newcastle were relegated, was far from popular with United fans during his illustrious playing career at Old Trafford, he would be a popular choice as manager as a result of the excellent work he has done at Wigan.

The Latics, despite crowds of under 20,000 for most home games, are seventh in the Premier League, which would be enough for them to qualify for the Uefa Cup – renamed the Europa League from next season – if they can hold on to that position between now and the end of May.

Interestingly, given his excellent form at Wigan, Bruce may also look to bring centre-back Titus Bramble back to Tyneside with him in the summer.

Despite a difficult four years at St James’s Park where high-profile mistakes shattered his self-belief, Bramble has been a revelation at Wigan and has even been mentioned as a possible England international.

Significantly, although Bramble had a fractious relationship with United fans for much of his time at St James’s Park, the 27-year-old would return to his former club if Bruce moved to the North East.

Speaking earlier this week, Bruce said: “When you analyse Titus, I think he was probably too young getting a big move to Newcastle. If he went to Newcastle now for £5.5m he would probably be equipped to do it.”

Meanwhile, Newcastle midfielder Danny Guthrie has urged supporters not to blame caretaker manager Chris Hughton for United’s poor results.

Guthrie has only just returned to action following a hamstring injury, but the former Liverpool prospect argued it is the players who should be criticised.

He said: “It’s the players who go out there on a match day, whatever anyone says. For me, what was going on behind the scenes didn’t affect me.

“We went out there as fit and as well prepared as if nothing had happened, so I think it is up to the players to take responsibility for results on the pitch.”

I believe Bruce would manage us even if we were relegated...he seems to desperate for the job and certainly it's not up for the wage knowing our policy of throwing it in the wind :snod:

Finland 222222-0...Jari Litmanen at his age of 38 would yet double our midfield's creativity. Lovely through passes for both of Finland's goals

Wouldnt be upset if he came. Would certainly take him yesterday given the situation we are in.

I still think we can do better. I dont think we will do better, infact im more inclined to think we would stick with Kinnear and having him work part time.

Not sure about titarse returning but if he can sort him out like he has at wigan it wouldnt be bad. I think its more about the crowd pressure than anything else. Him and Colo would be shit your pants stuff for the fans though.

If Bruce gets the job he WILL bring back Bramble like, no doubt about it, he raves about him every week

:lol: Bruce comes in, brings Zoggy and Bramble with him. Eventually he gets fired and we're right back where we started.

If Bramble came back he'd be no different then before.  He wasn't shit because he was too young, that's absolute bollocks, he was 26 when he left and he's 27 now.  The real difference now is he's playing at a little back water club out of the limelight in front of 5 people per game, the pressure isn't the same as it was here.  That said he can come back if Bruce comes with him.

Guest north shields lad

I was watching Paul Jewell on sky sports yesterday, and couldnt help wandering why a very good manager like him, is currently without a football club. Paul jewell or the jokers at our club, easy decision for me.