How to turn this club around?

Begbie

I have been reading stuff about sacking Roeder, the board and Mr Shepard. But then what?

I am just curious, if we sack Roeder, the board and Shepard. Who will take over the club, some said the tea lady. Maybe Douglas Hall?  bluesigh.gif  who would be good enough as a chairman to make the deals, to appoint the right manager, to spend enough cash. Is that what it takes to turn us around.

I think we need a long term plan, With or without Sheperd. I think a DoF would be healthy for the club, leaving Sheperd out of choosing the player deals. We need a proffesional to handle those deals, not a fat oil pimp. For the manager, I think we need to look outside of this island tho find one. And when we do find one, we need to have a 5+ year plan for the club.

We need to get a good youth team, because they are the future. And youth players dont cost as much as senior players(Luque 9.5M, Owen 17M, etc). I think we need to look at clubs like arsenal and tottenham. We need players with accelration and pace, young players who can develope in to world class player in the future. We need to pick up more Zoggy's, we need to find our Henry, and the next Shearer.

We need to get a new scouting system, and we need them to working the whole year, not only when the transfer window is open. We need a new trainer team, need to get rid of the backroom cancer that we have hanging over us. We need coaches who ask more of the players than the coaches today.  As the big club we are, we need to get back up with the top 4 again. It will take time and money to get us up there.

What do you lads think, how can this club be turned around and by who?  Thats my thoughts above, whould be nice reading yours :-)

I have been reading stuff about sacking Roeder, the board and Mr Shepard. But then what?

I am just curious, if we sack Roeder, the board and Shepard. Who will take over the club, some said the tea lady. Maybe Douglas Hall?  bluesigh.gif  who would be good enough as a chairman to make the deals, to appoint the right manager, to spend enough cash. Is that what it takes to turn us around.

I think we need a long term plan, With or without Sheperd. I think a DoF would be healthy for the club, leaving Sheperd out of choosing the player deals. We need a proffesional to handle those deals, not a fat oil pimp. For the manager, I think we need to look outside of this island tho find one. And when we do find one, we need to have a 5+ year plan for the club.

We need to get a good youth team, because they are the future. And youth players dont cost as much as senior players(Luque 9.5M, Owen 17M, etc). I think we need to look at clubs like arsenal and tottenham. We need players with accelration and pace, young players who can develope in to world class player in the future. We need to pick up more Zoggy's, we need to find our Henry, and the next Shearer.

We need to get a new scouting system, and we need them to working the whole year, not only when the transfer window is open. We need a new trainer team, need to get rid of the backroom cancer that we have hanging over us. We need coaches who ask more of the players than the coaches today.  As the big club we are, we need to get back up with the top 4 again. It will take time and money to get us up there.

What do you lads think, how can this club be turned around and by who?  Thats my thoughts above, whould be nice reading yours :-)

A Director of Football wouldn't make the slightest difference to the club, he'd just be somebody to take the heat off Shepherd, nothing else.

mine are along the lines of yours but more as well.

HowaytheLads is right when he says be careful what you wish for, the grass isnt always greener however Im happy to take the chance. What we need to realise though is that this isnt going to be overnight or even in a season. Change is longterm, and to be done properly takes massive time, planning and resources.

We are in for a long hard slog but hopefully the light at the end of that tunnel is bright and welcoming.

A Director of Football wouldn't make the slightest difference to the club, he'd just be somebody to take the heat off Shepherd, nothing else.

So Youre saying sack Mr Sheperd, and that will fix it?  A DoF will take the heat of Mr Sheperd thats true. But he might do a better job in the transfer market, than Sheperd. He will also let the manager concetrate more on tactics, training and man management, instead of doing non football stuff. But thats my opinion. Do you even have one Mick? or do you just follow the rest and say OUT SHEPERD, OUT ROEDER, OUT WHO EVER IS HERE. Can you think for yourself, and come with some idea's of how to turn this club around.

So Youre saying sack Mr Sheperd, and that will fix it?  A DoF will take the heat of Mr Sheperd thats true. But he might do a better job in the transfer market, than Sheperd. He will also let the manager concetrate more on tactics, training and man management, instead of doing non football stuff. But thats my opinion. Do you even have one Mick? or do you just follow the rest and say OUT SHEPERD, OUT ROEDER, OUT WHO EVER IS HERE. Can you think for yourself, and come with some idea's of how to turn this club around.

Do you think Shepherd will allow somebody to do what he seems to like meddling in?

I don't, I think he's an idiot who has the idea that he knows better than anybody else when it comes to running the club.  He's stuck his nose in the managers business and would do the same to a Director of Football if he appointed one, he'd probably appoint a puppet, just like Roeder.

A Director of Football is a good idea but I doubt it would work while Shepherd was pulling his strings.

What makes you think a Director of Football would work?

What difference would a Director of Football make regarding allowing Roeder to concentrate on tactics and man-management?  I've seen no evidence that Roeder knows anything about either, do you think Shepherd is guiding Roeder in this?  If not, then how would a Director of Football make a difference by allowing him to concentrate on them?

Do you think Shepherd will allow somebody to do what he seems to like meddling in?

I don't, I think he's an idiot who has the idea that he knows better than anybody else when it comes to running the club.  He's stuck his nose in the managers business and would do the same to a Director of Football if he appointed one, he'd probably appoint a puppet, just like Roeder.

A Director of Football is a good idea but I doubt it would work while Shepherd was pulling his strings.

What makes you think a Director of Football would work?

What difference would a Director of Football make regarding allowing Roeder to concentrate on tactics and man-management?  I've seen no evidence that Roeder knows anything about either, do you think Shepherd is guiding Roeder in this?  If not, then how would a Director of Football make a difference by allowing him to concentrate on them?

I dont think Roeder beeing the right man. But it will take some pressure of the manager. Because he has a DoF over him, who takes the focus on renewing contracts, watches the players, all all non footy thing.  So that will leave the manager to only concentrate on the game, instead of doing researching on other fields too.

Roeder did well last season when there was no pressure on him, we only wanted to avoid relegation. So it seems to me like Roeder cant handle the pressure when ask to. I was hoping for Roeder to take in a few youngsters, and perhaps knowing a few bargains. But he is choosing to play "safe", getting ppl like Srnicek, Sibierski and Bernard. So for me we need a DoF, and a new manager. 

I also are in favour of sacking Mr Sheperd, But I dont know who would take over the Chairman role. Do you?  Lets say if he left tomorow, would Douglass Hall be our new chairman then, and I dont think he is the right man either. 

I dont have the answers, but I like you guys to think a litle furter, not only say sack this and sack that. But thinking of youre own who will be the next manager, chairman, or even board. Think how can this club be turned around. ATM we look more and more like Leeds.

Guest Invicta_Toon

A director of football is exactly what it sounds like, a board level appointment who has sole responsibility for footballing matters. If one was appointed and he did the job as described*, how can that be a bad thing?

*yes, before anyone starts, I know FF pays no dues to proper boardroom conduct

How to turn the club around:

1) Get rid of the chairman. Replaced by either an investor, preferabley young with a vision or one of the boards directors. Even if it is one of Sheppards yes men, at least he/she would give the club renewed optimism and a sense of light at the end of the tunnel.

2) Sack the cronnies. McDerrmot and Clark at this club for sentimental reasons only, they should not be coaching first team affairs. I don't know what Pearson is doing here.

3) Demote Roeder. Put him back in charge of the academy and alow Clark to learn coaching skills under his wing.

4) Hire a director of football. Someone with vast experiance in the game, yet won't attempt to stifle the managers descions, yet will advise on money. Suggestions: Keegan or Robson.

5) Hire and new manager. Vital that whoever it is comes in with his own people and has an emphasis on short term and long term success, as well as squad size, youth and Fooking good defenders. A PROVEN WINNER, SOMEONE THE FANS WANT! Suggestions: Ranieri, Houllier or Hitzfeld *Drool*

1) Get rid of the chairman. Replaced by either an investor, preferabley young with a vision or one of the boards directors. Even if it is one of Sheppards yes men, at least he/she would give the club renewed optimism and a sense of light at the end of the tunnel.

2) Sack the cronnies. McDerrmot and Clark at this club for sentimental reasons only, they should not be coaching first team affairs. I don't know what Pearson is doing here.

3) Demote Roeder. Put him back in charge of the academy and alow Clark to learn coaching skills under his wing.

4) Hire a director of football. Someone with vast experiance in the game, yet won't attempt to stifle the managers descions, yet will advise on money. Suggestions: Keegan or Robson.

5) Hire and new manager. Vital that whoever it is comes in with his own people and has an emphasis on short term and long term success, as well as squad size, youth and Fooking good defenders. A PROVEN WINNER, SOMEONE THE FANS WANT! Suggestions: Ranieri, Houllier or Hitzfeld *Drool*

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  Agree were much with what you are saying here. Dunno about Keegan, would love for him to do great here again. But isnt he a bit loose on the money?  I would actually love Kenny Dalglish back here as a DoF. Think he could do a very good job for us. And is a great person too.

Would have suggested the ex argentinian coach as our new manager, only problem might be the language.

thats about the size of it  :lol:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:DWOIQIuC4WzszM:http://www.giftsheep.com/Images/BigSheep_01.gif

At least you have suggestions, and some are good ones. However, we have had proven winners as managers. The right manager is the only thing that will take this club back up the league, not a director of football, not another coach [although I do agree the current ones or some of them have no use whatsoever] nor someone with "fresh ideas" unless they are the right ones and make the right decisions ie the one on the manager. Keegan was Director of Football for Fulham, and appointed Ray Wilkins, and they didn't take off until he sacked Wilkins and did the job himself, for a perfect example of why it doesn't necessarily work.

The flak that Roeder is getting is sad, he probably isn't the right man but the trouble with a "big name" is they try to live up to their "big name" as we have found out to our cost, and I suspect if he was a "big name" people would be prepared to give him more time, having taken over a shit set of cards from the Scottish fuckpig. Although if he had spent his money on a player that came in and score goals like Andy Cole did rather than Martins, he would also have helped himself a lot more.

So far as I can see, Ranieri and Houillier are no better generally qualified than Dalglish, Gullit or Robson. There are just no guarantees, it is the most difficult decision in football.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:  Agree were much with what you are saying here. Dunno about Keegan, would love for him to do great here again. But isnt he a bit loose on the money?  I would actually love Kenny Dalglish back here as a DoF. Think he could do a very good job for us. And is a great person too.

Would have suggested the ex argentinian coach as our new manager, only problem might be the language.

Dalglishs a good shout. Boring but Level headed. TBH i know people hate him but i'd have Sven here in a flash as either a manager or DOF.

Guest Knightrider

Fantastic e-mail sent into the main site:

Craig Robson writes in saying:

How can Roeder, with the players he has, get us into a safe and acceptable position come the transfer window?

Roeder has got us into a safe position once before remember and the players he had then were probably not as good as the one he has now. Players like Boumsong, Faye and Bowyer have left and new players have come in like Martins, Duff and Sibierski. So there should be no reason why we are not performing well with supposedly better players.

Glenn Roeder’s strengths are that he is an honest man, take for example yesterday “We got what we deserved” which we did, but perhaps other managers i.e. Souness would have blamed injuries. You can see the defeat hurt Roeder yesterday, at one stage I thought he was going to cry, and he really would love to succeed at the club.

His ability to bring youngsters into the fold. Tim Krul against Palermo, a hostile environment for a debut, came in and did an excellent job and has shown that the academy has got some promising youngsters coming through.

Weaknesses Roeder possesses are that he is tactically inept. Sending Newcastle out with a 4-5-1 formation against Man Utd because Arsenal did it and won. First of all, Newcastle are not as good as Arsenal. We don’t have a ball winner upfront and Man Utd are experts at exploiting a frail defence. It was like we went there to get nothing from the game.

He has his favourites at the club, Bramble and players who he messes about, Luque. Before Luque comes on, he is sent back to the bench and gets his coat on while Lee Clark and Terry McDermott argue with Roeder. What managerial experience have Clark or McDermott got to make our manager change his mind?

The team looks like when they get set-pieces it’s a free for all. Examples from the Sheffield game were that whenever there was a throw in, Carr or Babayaro took far to long on the ball. Players were not moving around to create space and it looked like players did not want the ball. A team cannot be sent out not wanting the ball on the pitch. Although, Roeder is not really to blame for this, it’s the players responsibility.

Goal kicks are taken by Harper who will launch a ball into the other half where Rossi and Duff would challenge for it. They were up against the ‘colossal’ Claude Davis, a £2.5m signing form Preston who would probably shore up our defence, and Phil Jagielka. Both of the Sheffield players had a great day as Duff was never going to attempt to win a header and while Rossi tried, he couldn’t out jump the 6ft pair. Therefore, you would think Harper would realise and play the ball out to the full back, but he didn’t and kept on launching the ball forward, only for Newcastle to lose out and Sheffield gain momentum with their attacks.

Whenever we were trying to build attacks, players would slow down the tempo or pass the ball backwards. Carr constantly slows up the play and Parker runs round in circles. Distribution from the defence is poor, Bramble will constantly hook balls up field into no mans land and Carr holds onto the ball before playing it three yards and receiving it back again.

At school level you are told to get the ball wide. At one stage yesterday, from my seat in the Gallowgate, we had no players either left or right and Moore had to play the ball back to Harper and subsequently he kicked it out of play.

At times Glenn’s decision making can be poor. He switched Milner and Duff during the game and then he switched N’Zogbia and Duff. Before a match, the managers job is to prepare the side and let them know what their position is. By changing players positions during a game, it unsettles the team, all the preparation is wasted and players have to get used to their new role. I didn’t even know N’Zogbia could play upfront?

Roeder’s formation against Palermo:

Krul

Taylor Moore Bramble Ramage

Solano Butt Emre N’Zogbia Milner

Luque

Subs: Harper, Pattison, Carroll, Sibierski, Huntington, Bernard, Troisi

Roeder’s formation against Sheffield United:

Harper

Carr Moore Bramble Babayaro

Milner Butt Parker N’Zogbia

Rossi Duff

Subs: Srnicek, Solano, Emre, Ramage, Luque

I would say that the team versus Sheffield is better on paper and is probably valued higher in money and wages. But, the side versus Palermo had a desire to play for the cause and win. I’m sure players like Ramage and Taylor will be disappointed to miss out on playing in the Sheffield game after a great show, out of their natural position, against Palermo.

If I was manager I would have kept the side the same for both games. Players like Babayaro, who comes into the side when he feels like it, and Duff, who has the ability and hasn’t shown it, should not be exempt from a rotation policy.

“Roeder bemoans fixture pile up” was one of the stories on the BBC website. Perhaps, if Newcastle had a rotation system where reserves would come in for key players in the Carling Cup would benefit the side. It would mean key players are receiving a rest for the Premiership, reserves are getting first team experience and Newcastle would get more players breaking through.

Players like Paul Huntington could replace Craig Moore, our ageing defender who may be leaving after this season. Matty Pattison could replace Emre. Alan O’Brien could replace Damien Duff. Tim Krul could replace Steve Harper. Andy Carroll could replace the on loan Giuseppe Rossi. It may result in a defeat against Watford on Tuesday, but by giving them the experience and other players a rest it will benefit the Premiership campaign.

My line up for Watford:

Krul

Taylor Ramage Huntington Bernard

Milner Pattison N’Zogbia O’Brien

Carroll Luque

Subs: Srnicek, Bramble, Lua-Lua, Solano, Sibierski

A mixture of first team and fringe players with players like Kazenga Lua-Lua coming in as a sub, Carroll starting a game and O’Brien getting a chance.

Don’t forget that Newcastle’s Under-18 team are something like 18 games unbeaten, last season FA Youth Cup semi finalists and the reserves have a long unbeaten home record at Kingston Park, something most fans wish the first team would have at St. James’ Park.

For the Premiership campaign until January Roeder should play:

Given

Taylor Moore Ramage Babayaro

Milner Parker Emre Duff

N’Zogbia

Martins

Subs: Harper, Bramble, Butt, Luque, Solano

N’Zogbia would be given a fee attacking role to run at defenders and to play the ball for Martins to use his pace and beat defenders.

Milner and Duff would be told to “hog” the touch line and run the by-line to deliver crosses into the area.

I would use Emre as the playmaker, pinging balls all over the park and Parker as the player who would make the driving runs through the opposition.

At any opportunity which would not mean getting caught out at the back, I would look for Taylor and Babayaro to overlap and deliver balls into the area. Duff and Milner covering their position.

It would be a very attacking side and hopefully would lead to more goals than 2 in 7 games.

Other things that should be done:

Invest in role specific coaches. A defensive coach (not Mark Lawrenson) and attacking coach.

Improve the scouting network. Sir Bobby Robson started the scouting in 1999, that’s what he said in his book, so why have we not found any decent players from abroad in 7 years? We found decent English talent like Jermaine Jenas and Darren Ambrose.

I think it was Charlie Woods who was the chief scout with Bobby Robson and was sacked along with him. Replaced by David Mills, who spent time looking at Dirk Kuyt and we never made a move for him, now he is at Liverpool. He must also have said that Boumsong was worth a punt at £8m, its his job to find out about a player before the club shells out its money on them. The job seems to big for one man though? Think about all them countries and continents. Is there anyone else involved? I would happily spend my time analyzing players. It might lead to the club saving money on a potential flop?

TV money should not be that important that a team plays 2 games in less then 48 hours. £350,000 will not buy a new player, it may not even cover a weeks wages, but it might stop us from getting 3 crucial points.

Future investments:

We need a new left back - Wayne Bridge and Gareth Bale spring to mind.

A couple of centre backs - Sylvain Distin is a player I wouldn’t mind, but we need another established Premiership defender.

A new striker - Dave Nugent or Dean Ashton.

thats about the size of it   :lol:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:DWOIQIuC4WzszM:http://www.giftsheep.com/Images/BigSheep_01.gif

Take your pick.

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/1677/ostrichbk3.jpg http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7494/ostrich1bl1.th.jpg  http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/1879/ostrich2bo9.jpg

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/1486/ostrich3jk6.jpg  http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6976/ostrich4hm1.jpg http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/5470/ostrich5lj9.jpg

How can Roeder, with the players he has, get us into a safe and acceptable position come the transfer window?

>>> snipped <<<

A couple of centre backs - Sylvain Distin is a player I wouldn’t mind, but we need another established Premiership defender.

lots of good points there too. Overall, we are missing Shearer far more than a lot of people thought. Despite buying new forwards, we still need more because they are either not playing or aren't what we want or aren't good enough. That is obvious. We don't need defenders anything like we need forwards. Zoggy has been disappointing but a lad his age was always likely to fade but he will come back stronger and better, I only hope he isn't tempted to join his fellow Frenchman at Arsenal in the meantime, it would be natural for him to be tempted by such a thing.

Up front we need someone to make things happen, ie like Shearer did. We need someone who will put pressure on defenders, whether by strength, pace or both, we need to give them something to do and something to stop. We are still putting in crosses, and hitting the ball down the field but there is no one there to either muscle for the ball or get their first and enable the team to push out. We also need a box to box midfield man. Emre and Parker are not a good combination, as has been said before. While Parker obviously is a good player it is noticeable that we have played better on a few occasions without him. This is strange. Rossi was out of his depth physically yesterday, it isn't his fault, but he just was, so that formation against big defenders was a waste of time. I thought that Solano and Emre coming on may have brought in a more measured and thoughtful change in the way the team played and probably would have done but it was one of those days when everybody was poor. We need a forward and an attacking central midfield player in January, and quite simply, the club has to find the money from somewhere to do it.

thats about the size of it   :lol:

Take your pick.

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/1677/ostrichbk3.jpg http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7494/ostrich1bl1.th.jpg  http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/1879/ostrich2bo9.jpg

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/1486/ostrich3jk6.jpg  http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6976/ostrich4hm1.jpg http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/5470/ostrich5lj9.jpg

like the lad says, you have no answers. I could post up a photo of old SJP pre-1992, so you know what it looks like but basically I can't be arsed.

Good e mail from Craig Robson and some very basic yet salient points made. Good read.

Another thing we have overlooked is that our team is too lightweight for a PL campaign, I mean they're all dwarfes aren't they?

.....And do we have too many left footers? (I know desperation has set in).

There have been so many instances in the last two games where oppurtunities or passes break down cause our key players have been wanting to get it on the left peg.

This sounds about right. If Belgravia or whoever is to invest then a dof would be a must anyway.

like the lad says, you have no answers. I could post up a photo of old SJP pre-1992, so you know what it looks like but basically I can't be arsed.

The only answers you have are to things that you want to answer, you'll not go anywhere near talking about Shepherds record at Newcastle as chairman unless it's to have a go at others who were in the job before him.

-18 league places and - £millions being syphoned into Cameron Hall & Shepherd pension fund.

You've got no spine and are now you're looking for people to hang on to, no spine and no credibility.

Mick

How about sharing some of your football knowledge with everybody by telling us all why we aren't currently getting results on the field, and how that could be improved.

Surely you aren't seriously suggesting that we have a good squad and that binning Fred and Roeder will suddenly see the team banging in the goals and storming up the league?

Same question to John.

Mick

How about sharing some of your football knowledge with everybody by telling us all why we aren't currently getting results on the field, and how that could be improved.

Surely you aren't seriously suggesting that we have a good squad and that binning Fred and Roeder will suddenly see the team banging in the goals and storming up the league?

Same question to John.

I think we're not getting the results because the players are lacking motivation and we're tactically shite as well as being light in front of goal.  We appeared to be second to every ball yesterday and didn't know what to do when we did get to it first.

I don't know if the players have a lack of self belief, it appears that they do as we created nothing at all going forward, we didn't look like scoring.  The players we have at the club are better than 0-1 at home to Sheffield United, if Roeder can't do better then he should go, that then gives us the problem of who we would appoint and that's where binning Shepherd would come into it.  I don't think any self respecting manager will come anywhere near us while he's here and our last two appointments are what I use to back that up.

Would Shepherd have appointed Souness if he could have done better?

Would Shepherd have appointed Roeder if he could have done better?

I doubt both, if I'm right then it's got to be down to people not wanting to work with Shepherd, it can't be the shit stadium because it isn't shit.  It can't be because we can't attract good players because we've done it, it can't be because of the fans because rightly or wrongly we've got a good reputation, it can only be because of Shepherd unless I've missed something. 

Guest The Fox

Cant prove it but I IMO if O'Neil had taken over we would not be in this position.

Shepherds appointment are just reactions to the situation.

Keegan attacking exhilarating Manager, Dalglish defensive and boring at Newcastle, Gullit potentially exciting, Robson steady the sinking ship, Souness disciplinary clampdown, Roeder the players friend Mr Nice Guy.

None of these guys go on to do much if anything after Newcastle.

Roeder to me has surrounded himself with his friends on the coaching staff whether they are any good or not.

Robson did the same with Wadsworth.

I just think on the playing and coaching side, the club is second rate and the demise on the pitch compared to KK's era is alarming. Sure we can get a few cup results, anyone can but we were 2nd to yeras running, now we are more or less bottom.

Not saying  atakeover would guarantee success but I get the feeling it would involve bringing in some quality at Manage,Coaching and playing level, something we sadly lack.

Lets face it Roeder was an Academy Manager, not reserve team Manager or 1st Team coach, had a poor record at previous less than top class clubs, and he gets the job. I could not see that happening at any other major club.

Thats my view.

>>> snipped <<<

lots of good points there too. Overall, we are missing Shearer far more than a lot of people thought. Despite buying new forwards, we still need more because they are either not playing or aren't what we want or aren't good enough. That is obvious. We don't need defenders anything like we need forwards. Zoggy has been disappointing but a lad his age was always likely to fade but he will come back stronger and better, I only hope he isn't tempted to join his fellow Frenchman at Arsenal in the meantime, it would be natural for him to be tempted by such a thing.

Up front we need someone to make things happen, ie like Shearer did. We need someone who will put pressure on defenders, whether by strength, pace or both, we need to give them something to do and something to stop. We are still putting in crosses, and hitting the ball down the field but there is no one there to either muscle for the ball or get their first and enable the team to push out. We also need a box to box midfield man. Emre and Parker are not a good combination, as has been said before. While Parker obviously is a good player it is noticeable that we have played better on a few occasions without him. This is strange. Rossi was out of his depth physically yesterday, it isn't his fault, but he just was, so that formation against big defenders was a waste of time. I thought that Solano and Emre coming on may have brought in a more measured and thoughtful change in the way the team played and probably would have done but it was one of those days when everybody was poor. We need a forward and an attacking central midfield player in January, and quite simply, the club has to find the money from somewhere to do it.

I agree,what we need is variety in attack. Shearer gaves us something that only didier drogba and possibly crouch posess in this league now, physical presence and the abilty to finish.

If you look at our players up front we have some talent Rossi (very nippy and a good finisher), Martins (Pace and decent finishing), Ameobi (Aerial threat but not physical enough for me) and Sibierski (actualy quite decent at holding up the ball but not a great finisher on the ground) but not one of them give the same battering ram approach to shearer. We still play like Shearer is up front for us, constant long balls. If we are going to insist on this tactic then we need someone good enough in the front line to deploy it.

The other option is to pass the ball about and actually beat the oppo playing proper footie but to do this we need goals from centre midfield. Cahill or Nolan would do nicley but i doubt we could afford them.

The only answers you have are to things that you want to answer, you'll not go anywhere near talking about Shepherds record at Newcastle as chairman unless it's to have a go at others who were in the job before him.

-18 league places and - £millions being syphoned into Cameron Hall & Shepherd pension fund.

You've got no spine and are now you're looking for people to hang on to, no spine and no credibility.

says the bloke who thinks staring into the 3rd division after 30 years of selling our best players and England players is the same as buying them ... and says he's a long term supporter  :lol:

Have you asked your ally the WUM yet if he will admit to saying that we would be better off letting Souness spend all that money to build his own team and replace the "cancer"