Shearer long term?

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's a bit of a dilemma cos Steve Bruce has always been my first choice, and i reckon he'd take it if we stayed up. But i shan't complain if Shearer is appointed long-term, which he blatantly will be.

First option. :smug:

Depends, he could do quite well and we could still get relegated. Or he could keep us up but still not be the right man for the job.

Either way, 8 games isn't long enough to decide.

(Edit: Obviously (practically speaking) he will get the nod if we stay up)

where is the 'yes, but only if he shows signs of promise as a manager, such as the team playing decently!'

As he's only got eight games to show what he can do, with players that have been dire so far this season, I didn't think there was a need for that option. The closest would be yes, only if he keeps us up.

His stature and prominence alone if we stay up could keep our top players, Owen included, in my opinion. Thats if Shearer doesnt take the Capello approach and boot him...

But if Shearer is our long-term manager, then I see us being able to put together some excellent signings if we have SOME cash.

Guest Wally_McFool

Alan Shearer was always going to be the manager of Newcastle one day.

He's in the hot seat now, lets hope he makes a successful go of it.

If it doesn't work out , at least we will have got the shadow of Shearer out of the way and will be able to move on without having his name cropping up to be the next manager every 5 minutes..

If it doesn't work out , at least we will have got the shadow of Shearer out of the way and will be able to move on without having his name cropping up to be the next manager every 5 minutes..

This is a big plus, as long as it doesn't mean we get relegated of course.

Shearer has the stronger position though in the future regardless.

Ashley has seen what happened with Keegan, you think he'd risk twice that pissing off shearer?

If Shearer got us through to next season but lost ten on the bounce, and Ashley sacked him, people probably wouldn't complain too much. Certainly not as much as they did with Keegan. After all, we  actually looked like a cracking side that was going places with Keegan, which just as much what caused the uproar from the supporters. Rather than the fact it was simply 'Kevin Keegan'.

Ashley doing this suggests to me he's willing to learn some lessons. Wise's alleged departure only backs that up.

This is a big plus, as long as it doesn't mean we get relegated of course.

I'm not sure if his shadow will permanently go. A very feasible scenario would be for him to be given 18 months - 2 years, then I dunno, a decade down the line, seeing him back at SJP.

In my eyes it's time to stop all the chopping and changing. If we lose 10 on the bounce stick with him, Everton did with Moyes when they went from top 7 to almost relegation. They are now having yet another cracking season but it's took leaving him at the helm for 7 years to get them to where they are at and that's with no cash at all. IF Shearer is the man for the job then sod this temp contract till end of the season. Give him the job full time and keep him in there for a good number of years. Hell you never know it might just work leaving him in charge for a while!

In my eyes it's time to stop all the chopping and changing. If we lose 10 on the bounce stick with him, Everton did with Moyes when they went from top 7 to almost relegation. They are now having yet another cracking season but it's took leaving him at the helm for 7 years to get them to where they are at and that's with no cash at all. IF Shearer is the man for the job then sod this temp contract till end of the season. Give him the job full time and keep him in there for a good number of years. Hell you never know it might just work leaving him in charge for a while!

There needs to be complete faith from the hierarchy in a Newcastle manager for the long haul for the first time in a while; not just seeing how they do at first. If the board, or whoever Shearer's superiors will be, can keep their minds focussed on a long-term strategy, then he may have a chance even if things don't go as well as expected.

Re: Moyes, it should be pointed out he had been at Preston for a fairly long spell previously, so had a solid managerial background behind him. Hopefully Shearer learns fast.

There needs to be complete faith from the hierarchy in a Newcastle manager for the long haul for the first time in a while; not just seeing how they do at first. If the board, or whoever Shearer's superiors will be, can keep their minds focussed on a long-term strategy, then he may have a chance even if things don't go as well as expected.

Re: Moyes, it should be pointed out he had been at Preston for a fairly long spell previously, so had a solid managerial background behind him. Hopefully Shearer learns fast.

We all know he's going to have a certain level of leadership & previous managers who have worked with him have come out and said he's always had a great leading influence on players.

So he has half of what it takes to be a class manager already, tactics is what he'll need help with id assume & he's certainly been analyzing enough football recently, now he's got Dowie to help him out further. Hes worked under the likes of Robson etc so he'll have picked things up along the way.

We certainly need to start showing faith in our managers, we may never get another manager we all are behind this much ever again. Just that level of positivity will give just as much a lift and help us do well, as all the confusing nonsensical bs had brought us down. Just hope everyone stays level headed regardless, we're all far to ready to find a scapegoat as soon as possible half the time. An inexperienced Shearer will no doubt take that place for a lot of ppl, regardless of whether HEs doing much wrong or right.

We all know he's going to have a certain level of leadership & previous managers who have worked with him have come out and said he's always had a great leading influence on players.

So he has half of what it takes to be a class manager already, tactics is what he'll need help with id assume & he's certainly been analyzing enough football recently, now he's got Dowie to help him out further. Hes worked under the likes of Robson etc so he'll have picked things up along the way.

We certainly need to start showing faith in our managers, we may never get another manager we all are behind this much ever again. Just that level of positivity will give just as much a lift and help us do well, as all the confusing nonsensical bs had brought us down. Just hope everyone stays level headed regardless, we're all far to ready to find a scapegoat as soon as possible half the time. An inexperienced Shearer will no doubt take that place for a lot of ppl, regardless of whether HEs doing much wrong or right.

Do you think though that due to the frequency of managers coming and going in the past decade or so, a lot of fans already have an in-built sense of impatience? I'd like to think such an iconic club hero as Shearer wouldn't be turned on as soon as the going gets tough, but I wouldn't put it past some people.

At the same time, if he does go on to be manager next season, I don't think he should be immune to criticism. He'll have had the 8 games this season, as well as a wealth of experience on the pitch, and the knowledge of a fairly experienced No.2 and of course SBR in his portfolio. Hopefully whilst he should be given a fair chance in the long-term, his legendary status at the club wouldn't blind people.

Do you think though that due to the frequency of managers coming and going in the past decade or so, a lot of fans already have an in-built sense of impatience? I'd like to think such an iconic club hero as Shearer wouldn't be turned on as soon as the going gets tough, but I wouldn't put it past some people.

At the same time, if he does go on to be manager next season, I don't think he should be immune to criticism. He'll have had the 8 games this season, as well as a wealth of experience on the pitch, and the knowledge of a fairly experienced No.2 and of course SBR in his portfolio. Hopefully whilst he should be given a fair chance in the long-term, his legendary status at the club wouldn't blind people.

Put it this way, some fans were getting on KK back at the start of his last reign because he didn't turn things round straight away and it took a while and a change to the 4-3-3 system before things started to pick up.

Shearer's been quite canny if you ask me. He'll only be looking at the next 8 games for now and will probably assess it again at the end of the season. if we stay up he'll want his own set up with decent funds, if he gets them he'll stay, if not adios. I would think there might be a buyer for the club if we survive assuming one hasn't already been lined up.