Great Players Don't Necessarily Make Good Managers

Crumpy Gunt

A fact proved many times in the past. I'm sure there'll be a short term 'boost' but longer term I worry as Shearer seemed to admire Souness' style above Robson, Gullit etc.

Bollocks, its shearer man,  we'll be top 4 next season  :dowie:

Seriously I know what you eman, but I don't think it really matters, his persona will see us through this season then, well we'll just have to see.  He'll lift the fans and the atmosphere will be electric and the players we signed recently will realise what the atmosphere used to be like and hopefully react accordingly.

To be honest since the majority of managers are ex footballers at one level or another and that is proof that to be a good manager you need to have played football. If you have a good footballing brain thats another step towards being a good manager. I believe Shearer has both of these the final thing he would need is time. This is the problem with most manager who are great players and try to be managers, they just don't get the time.

To be honest since the majority of managers are ex footballers at one level or another and that is proof that to be a good manager you need to have played football. If you have a good footballing brain thats another step towards being a good manager. I believe Shearer has both of these the final thing he would need is time. This is the problem with most manager who are great players and try to be managers, they just don't get the time.

Benitez

Benitez

Born in Madrid, Benítez played football throughout his youth and joined the Real Madrid academy. He mixed his university studies with his football career at lower division Spanish teams but injury caused him to prematurely retire.

Whats that then?

Roy Hodgson is a good example of a player who never had much of a playing career but turned out to be a quality coach.

There are no guarantees either way, but being Alan Shearer helps you get respect from the players from day one, something that we really need at this point.

im sure that shearer is gonna practice a bit more "modern" and fascinating style of football then souness!

alan has watched alot of games during his job for skysports....he is fully updated! He has played under Keegan and robson and he knows what kind of style we like to see Nufc practice.

He has everything it takes to do a good job.....i personally believe in him.....hope he doesn´t fail!

But again he can´t be judge after 8 games....unless he gets tactics totally wrong and can´t seem to motivate the players in the relegation battle!

He needs 3 years to develop the squad and style he wants.....and time to develop into a good manager!

Hopefully we dont panic after some bad results and stick with him for a long long time.....if he wants it himself?

Not all former footballers are born leaders so it's not surprising that many fail as managers. I don't know how Shearer's career will pan out long term but I think he has all the attributes of being a very good manager: decisive, single minded, carries authority and has a strong work ethic. We'll have to see about what style of football he prefers, but I'm not sure he'll necessarily follow Souness's example.

Shearer is a fantastic figurehead for the club and for the next eight weeks the players will be galvanised. I'm only looking that far ahead at the moment.

Not all former footballers are born leaders so it's not surprising that many fail as managers. I don't know how Shearer's career will pan out long term but I think he has all the attributes of being a very good manager: decisive, single minded, carries authority and has a strong work ethic. We'll have to see about what style of football he prefers, but I'm not sure he'll necessarily follow Souness's example.

Shearer is a fantastic figurehead for the club and for the next eight weeks the players will be galvanised. I'm only looking that far ahead at the moment.

I think this is the most positive thing that have happened under Ashleys regime! i agree on all the attributes you mention!

Alan and the players need to work hard and fight to avoid the relegation....don´t have to entertain us!

If he continues after the summer (which he must) then he should start to practice the style of play he prefers! But often managers...especially at this club never gets to the point where they have a squad which they fully picked themself. Hopefully we will see alan get to that point....which would take some years! This is hopefully long term.....and i personally dont expect or demand we play entertaining football from start of next season...im happy as long as there is some vision, thinking of signings and concept!

I think the most important think is to develop a concept from start of next season and stick by it. Dont think of what players we have a the beginning of the season.....adjust the squad as much as possible during each window....im buy players he believe suits the concept! Be loyal to your concept so all the players knows their role.....this goes for the reserves and youth team as well!

i think an very important factor is whether he can manage to have the personal relation to the players....can´t find the english word. But he tells them face to face why they are not picked etc. keep them happy! (i think he can)

To compare i think thats the part where a manager like Michael Laudrup has failed....both in Brøndby and Getafe!

I'd add also that when players become managers they very often play a very different style of football than what they're remembered for as players.

George Graham was a decent goal scorer as a player, but produced dour defensive teams as a manager.

Kenny Dalglish was an incredibly skilful attacker during his playing career but his teams were anything but that.

Don't simply think that because he was a striker who enjoyed playing with good wingers to provide service he'll want the same as a manager, there's just a good a chance that he'll want rock solid defending and an Allardyce-style nick a single winning goal from a set piece at the end.

He also knows that the public up here are happiest and most on-board when the team is playing good flowing football. I don't think he will shy away from attempting to do that. It might not be the case in these final 8 games though, as the results will be what's most important.

Kenny Dalglish was an incredibly skilful attacker during his playing career but his teams were anything but that.

i don't know about that like, the liverpool team he managed to the championship with beardsley, barnes, rush, whelan, houghton, molby et al were always pretty entertaining to watch

I seem to remember Shearer being asked what was missing from Newcastle's team early on this season on MOTD and he answered "someone to pick a pass through the midfield".

I doubt Allardyce or his like would make that a priority.

I can see Shearer being a bit Souness-like in terms of kicking out any players who dispresct him (or fail to adhere to his tactics religiously), as opposed to man-managing them like e.g. Sir Bobby or Keegan would.

Although the same can be said of Sir Alex, the key difference with Ferguson is that he's earnt that respect as a manager. Souness never did, so hopefully Shearer won't be relying on his reputation as a footballer earning him respect throughout his managerial career.

It's different when the player loves the club imo, because other great players i.e Roy Keane don't put their heart and soul into it because they love their other club too much, and they're waiting for the opportunity to take that one over instead. Recent history suggests that a Newcastle man is the only one that can really manage the team.