Whatever Happened To The New Shearer AKA Zaki

Thespence

In September:

"When you look at this lad and his build, he is the same height, weight, everything about him, he is like Alan Shearer," Whelan said.

"He has the same confidence when he gets the ball, he knows where the goal is, he doesn't need to look up, he has this instinct.

"Strikers like that have an instinct as to where the goal is. You can't describe it, you can't give it to anybody.

"Certain people have it and Alan Shearer was one who had it in abundance, and this lad is exactly the same.

"He has this ability to score goals. Sometimes there is no danger, but then, wham, and the ball is in the back of the net."

Whelan insists he has not been too surprised at how quickly Zaki has adjusted to the demands of the English game but admitted that he was initially stunned when Bruce targeted the 25-year-old.

"When the boss first mentioned him, I thought: 'A striker from Egypt? Very unusual," Whelan said.

"But Steve told me that he possessed the best goalscoring record in international football at present, and again I thought, 'From Egypt? No'. But Steve was correct.

"And when you watch him, he will not give in, he will not give up. He fights and runs, and he is wonderful."

Today:

Bruce said it was the fourth time Zaki had not reported back on time from international duty this season.

"I really am at the end of my tether with him," Bruce said in a statement on Wigan's website (www.wiganlatics.co.uk).

"I just feel that it's time we went public on what a nightmare he has been to deal with because I can honestly say that in all my time in football I have never worked with someone as unprofessional.

"Before this latest incident, Zaki had already been fined considerably more than the average person in Britain earns in a year and he will now face another heavy fine. I have already fined him the maximum allowed but this just seems to have no effect.

"I am now fearful that if I don't take firm action, it will disrupt the rest of my squad, who -- to a man -- behave totally professionally."

Wigan received a fax from the Egypt team doctor claiming Zaki has a hamstring injury.

Zaki briefly topped the scoring charts in the Premier League earlier this season but has not added to his 10 goals since December.

His loan club must be gutted about all this & his loss of form because at one point they were going to get mega £££'s, now I cant see Wigan even bid for him never mind the big clubs that were once linked to signing him.

I think we all know that Dave Whelan talks s****.

I think 2 people knew it was hype :thup:

Is Zaki the most overrated player in Premiership history at the moment?

Yes, he scored in a few games & the Wigan chairman mentions he is like Shearer & it has now it has become a fact that he is as good as Alan.

I think we all know that Dave Whelan talks s****.

I think 2 people knew it was hype :thup:

Is Zaki the most overrated player in Premiership history at the moment?

Yes, he scored in a few games & the Wigan chairman mentions he is like Shearer & it has now it has become a fact that he is as good as Alan.

:snod:

Guest Heneage

He is a good striker. No denying that he's scored for every team he's represented. But I think at any time to compare a striker to Shearer is daft, they aren't made in his mould this day, James Beattie is the last one who even resembles him and he lacks the talent to even lace up his boots. It just appears now that on top of poor form Zaki is also quite the little trouble maker. Be easy to say Look at Mido but apparently those two aren't best buds either. Shame really at Christmas he had any number of suitors, now he looks set to be back to Zamalek.

Guest LucaAltieri

There could still be a move in it for him.

Come on...  Zaki or Shola?

I'm sure Boro fans would fancy a gamble on Zaki over playing Alves, too.

For Zaki read Hull - incredibly average, surprised a few people at the start of the season, but after lapping up all the plaudits, forgot the matter of being shit and then petered out into nothing.

Guest Heneage

There could still be a move in it for him.

Come on...  Zaki or Shola?

I'm sure Boro fans would fancy a gamble on Zaki over playing Alves, too.

True, but when you were touted as figure head for Man City's spending splurge you would be a bit peeved.

DW makes out Zaki wont be at Wigan next season:

"If he behaves like this, he is going to find it very, very difficult to have a future at Wigan Athletic."

More at:http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11682_5135849,00.html

Guest BooBoo

Had a storming purple patch in the autumn but since has look disinterested and shite. Predictably one of his few goals since that said good run, was against us, albeit a penalty.

Newcastle United have made a £6million inquiry for Wigan's errant Egyptian striker Amr Zaki.

The 26-year-old has scored 11 goals this season but has fallen out with manager Steve Bruce after failing to return from international duty on time FOUR times.

Wigan have now decided against making a move to sign Zaki on a permanent basis - particularly after his club, Zamalek, demanded £12m.

Newcastle, who are also monitoring other Egyptian players, made the enquiry to Zamalek before Alan Shearer's appointment but are still keen to strike a deal in the summer.

Nice to know we're still spot on in the negotiation department like... :lol:

Guest Heneage

he's also had a massive falling out with mido apparently.

That's old news though, it was said on MOTD a few weeks back they've never got on after Zaki took Mido's mantle as Egypts top player.

As for the £12m I think that was the agreed price wasn't it ? They might settle for £6m as I imagine he won't want to go back to the Egyptian league.

And to be fair to Adriano Mattis, they reckon he might have been kidnapped. :-[

That's old news though, it was said on MOTD a few weeks back they've never got on after Zaki took Mido's mantle as Egypts top player.

As for the £12m I think that was the agreed price wasn't it ? They might settle for £6m as I imagine he won't want to go back to the Egyptian league.

Whats going on with Adriano? I haven't heard a Dickie Bird about this? Also on a sidenote, imagine Mido being your countrys best player.

Whats going on with Adriano? I haven't heard a Dickie Bird about this? Also on a sidenote, imagine Mido being your countrys best player.

The vast majority of countries in this world would kill for a player of Mido's talent. Apparently Adriano isn't sure if he's going back to Inter. That boy is troubled.

Guest Heneage

Adriano is not kidnapped for gods sake  ;D

Hes found and is healthy as healthy can be, he just f***ed up again

Oh he's been found? What's happened?

The vast majority of countries in this world would kill for a player of Mido's talent.

Haha i guess so. Just being an England fan you get used to having a team full of big names. My bad.

The vast majority of countries in this world would kill for a player of Mido's talent.

Haha i guess so. Just being an England fan you get used to having a team full of big names. My bad.

No problem. Mido's never been their best player though. That's always been Abou-Treika. Mido is an after thought.

I remember people on here talking about Zaki when he was at the height of his hype asking why couldn't we find class players like that.  My reply was lets wait till the end of the season at least before we even start to think about him really being a class player and lets wait until he's been consistently the best for years on end before we compare him to Shearer.