Sven Sacked as Mexico Manager

Guest michaelfoster

Guest michaelfoster

Sven-Goran Eriksson has been sacked as Mexico boss following Wednesday's World Cup qualifying defeat against Honduras.

Mexico's 3-1 defeat to Honduras was their second in three qualifying matches and left them fourth in their six-team group.

If they stay fourth they will face the fifth-placed team from South America for a place in next year's World Cup.

The former England manager was hired in June following his sacking as Manchester City manager last season.

"We could not take risks with qualification for the World Cup, and we could not rely solely on results at the Estadio Azteca," Mexican Football Federation president Justino Compean said.

"We had a meeting with Mr Eriksson and - although it is a shame for me and a lot of people - we told Mr Eriksson that his spell with the national team was over.

"Personally, I want to thank Mr Eriksson."

Pressure on 61-year-old Eriksson had been lifted temporarily with a convincing 2-0 win over Costa Rica on Saturday but Wednesday's defeat resulted in his eight month reign being terminated.

Eriksson was linked with a move back to English football in February following Tony Adams' sacking as Portsmouth coach.

"I would think there will be plenty of offers for him," Eriksson's personal manager Athole Still told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"He would love to work in England again, I know that for a fact. I would say yes, his first choice would be a good Premier League club in England where he has a challenge."

Mexico's poor form in their latest World Cup qualifying group came off the back of some bad results in the first phase of qualifying.

Mexico had won just once in seven matches following Wednesday's defeat to Honduras.

In 2001 Eriksson became the first foreign manager to take charge of the England national team having previously coached club football in Italy and Portugal.

He spent five years at the helm as England manager leading them to three quarter-finals at major competitions before leaving his post after the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

After spending a year out of football he joined Manchester City in 2007 but spent just one season at the Premier League club.

In June 2006 Eriksson replaced Hugo Sanchez in the Mexico job, the legendary striker having been sacked three months earlier.

:D

As a side note how fucking easy is it to qualify from Concaf, finish 4th and you still get a chance to qualify by beating some third rate south american team that finished 5th in their qualifying.

I've always thought he's only a good manager when he has a truck load of money to spend- and he didn't have this at Mexico.

City would in a better position atm if they'd of kept him, imo. He'd do pretty well with all that money.

As a side note how fucking easy is it to qualify from Concaf, finish 4th and you still get a chance to qualify by beating some third rate south american team that finished 5th in their qualifying.

Argentina is looking good value for ending up fifth if they don't get their act together. And I'd not say they're third rate.

They'll get their act together though, they're Argentina after all. But still.

As a side note how f***ing easy is it to qualify from Concaf, finish 4th and you still get a chance to qualify by beating some third rate south american team that finished 5th in their qualifying.

Argentina is looking good value for ending up fifth if they don't get their act together. And I'd not say they're third rate.

They'll get their act together though, they're Argentina after all. But still.

Of course they will, Mexico will end up playing someone like Paraguay or something if they finish 4th. I'm sorry but it's just so much more easy for them than it is in Europe.