Dowie to stay on?

Guest LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest LucaAltieri

Hypothetically, if we stay up and Shearer doesn't want the job, would you support Dowie being appointed manager?

Nope, has proven he isnt good enough with previous jobs. If Shearer keeps us up and doesnt want to stay then we need to go out there and get a proper full time manager in, preferably one who isnt called Joe Kinnear.

Tricky question.

I like the fella but am not sure about his ability to take the role on, on his own.

In saying that, he seems very much the typical type of Ashley appointment for manager in that he is english, not been at the highest level and therefore wont command a massivley high salary, unemployed so no severance would have to be paid to another club. Ticks all of Ashley's boxes.

Not entirely sure why I bothered to put the Kinnear option up there.

Well... makes it totally clear to any ESN outsiders that when someone says no it doesn't mean they want Kinnear back, at least.

Tricky question.

I like the fella but am not sure about his ability to take the role on, on his own.

In saying that, he seems very much the typical type of Ashley appointment for manager in that he is english, not been at the highest level and therefore wont command a massivley high salary, unemployed so no severance would have to be paid to another club. Ticks all of Ashley's boxes.

How is he a typical Ashley appointment? Kinnear was a desperation move after the team spiralled to hell under Hughton. Keegan and Shearer were appointed simply to "bring the magic back" to a club that's been in decline for some time. Keegan had definitely been at the highest level as well.

Guest Heneage

As manager no not in a million years, but my gut instinct (Yes Pilko thats a rather large instinct) tells me the Shearer Dowie partnership will work, Dowie explained why it will work in my opinion. Shearer can give the motivation and tactics, but Dowie can take the boring shit that would annoy Shearer.

Absolutely no way. If we stay up (and avoid the cretinous Kinnear), then it's arguably Ashley's last chance to actually do something right. Fresh start, new beginning. Shearer said we've got the nucleus of a good squad here and he's right, and if we can re-juvinate the fanbase by simply staying up, then it's time to start again. We've got rid of Wise. The building blocks are there again - make it right.

If Shearer doesn't stay on the have Bruce on the phone immediately.

Stay on as coach certainly if he works with the new man.

Manager, your having a laugh. That said not a huge jump from Bruce. Its just a sign of how worn down we are that Bruce is an option, the next stop is the likes of Curbishley, Dowie and Burley.. before we know it Kinnear will seem like SAF.

If Shearer doesnt stay on neither will Dowie IMO.

Also depends on how we stay up.  If we gain 5 or 6 points over the rest of the season playing turgid, shite football and only survive because other clubs go to shite, then it's a definite no.  So much of it would depend on the manner of our survival.

The reason why Shearer feels right as a manager is because of the respect and authority he carries in the game. If he goes and we end up appointing Dowie as a cheap option then all that goes out the window. Tbh, if Shearer keeps us up and then is allowed to leave I will give up altogether on Ashley as a lost cause and just accept we are going to limp along hoping to survive in the Premier.

I think Dowie will prove to be an excellent number 2, he's a coach and assistant manager. He's pretty much proven he's not the complete package as a manager, his strengths lie in that support role.

Guest Stephen927

That type of thing rarely works, if Shearer isn't here after these 8 games then we need to make a fresh break, appoint a good manager to mould this team into his own and hopefully we'll have a better season next time.