Ryan Taylor/Nolan

Guest K9

Guest trotter58

The ageing Nicky Butt is streets ahead of Nolan. As for Ryan he should be a bench warmer/squad player but I think he may get a run out at RW against Stoke.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,59766.240.html

"Trust me, he's no better than Nicky Butt."

Someone get this guy a medal.

I'll prepare the humble pie whilst you polish that medal.

Guest michaelfoster

Nolan > Butt

Butt made about 6 stupid fouls today and was lucky not to be booked, Nolan not much better but is an improvement.

I haven't given up hope on Nolan yet. He's come form spending his entire career as "Mr. Bolton" and it has to be a huge adjustment for him. I'm not saying that he's a top 6 player, but surely he'll be an asset or us in our mid-table trawl for the foreseeable future.

As for Ryan Taylor, if taking free kicks is anything like what I imagine it must be (being a big, talentless center half I've honestly never been asked to take one in my life :lol:), it should be all down to confidence. If you're going to be threatening you've got to have the "fuck them, I can score form here" mentality. The fall against Man U seems to have shot Taylor's confidence and he may well take some time to recover. Like Nolan, I'm willing to give him some more time.

Guest Heneage

Settle in to what? Them having Premier League experience was half the justification for buying them.

New players? New surrondings? It appears Nolan had far less responsibilities at Bolton than is being asked of him here. Wait till he has someone next to him who can run unlike Nicky Butt who will just pass it straight back to you.

They're just shit tbh. It really was a very, very shite transfer window. I didn't believe so at first but we've got significantly worse as a squad since January; Given and N'Zogbia gone ffs. Nowt against Harper and i'd have him as number 1 next season, but the amount of quality there, gone, for £11m-ish. Urgh.

Still, if we stay up i'll look forward to a positive summer, providing Kinnear doesn't come back obviously. His signings were the reason Notts Forest got relegated to League 1 for the most part.

We are at the nub of the problem here with this thread. At no time this season have we had athletes in the engine room of midfield who can dominate a game with box to box energy.

Even teams we deride like Stoke or Hull are streets ahead of us in this key area of the game.

Strong powerful runners with hunger, not has beens on fat contracts.

Its a no brainer.

Didn't think much of the signings at the time and they haven't really done anything to change my opinion. Nolan was a complete non entity today.

January really was a joke.