I love Sir Bobby Robson, but...

KaKa

Duff and Taylor are team players, i suppose - which is exactly what we were back then. A team.

Who'd have Andy O'Brien, Aaron Hughes, Oliver Bernard, Lua Lua, Cort, Caldwell in the squad nowadays? No one. That's what the difference is when you've got a stable club with a quality manager.

Still can't say i agree with him there, though. Jonas, for example, would have been brilliant in Bobby's team imo.

Bernard > Enrique, imo - in spite of what i said earlier. Aside from that i'd agree, Pullman.

Yeah wasn't sure about Bernard. At his best he was better than Enrique, though it went downhill for him pretty quickly.

Shearer Owen

Robert - Speed - Dyer - Solano

Enrique? - Woodgate - Bassong - Beye

Given

yes, no, maybe?

Given

Beye Bassong Woodgate Bernard

Solano Dyer Speed Gutierrez (Believe he would be immense in this team, dont know why though, i just think his work ethics makes him get in this team)

Shearer Bellamy (Bellars was excellent when paired with Shearer. And i dislike Owen for the obvious reason)

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Duff and Taylor are team players, i suppose - which is exactly what we were back then. A team.

Who'd have Andy O'Brien, Aaron Hughes, Oliver Bernard, Lua Lua, Cort, Caldwell in the squad nowadays? No one. That's what the difference is when you've got a stable club with a quality manager.

Still can't say i agree with him there, though. Jonas, for example, would have been brilliant in Bobby's team imo.

In place of who? Solano/Robert both had way way more to their passing games and their set piece ability.

In place of who? Solano/Robert both had way way more to their passing games and their set piece ability.

I loved Robert, but i just have a feeling that Jonas has so much potential, just look at him with the Argentinian National team! Hes great when playing and when hes not they lose 6-1 to Bolivia :lol:

I just wish Shearer had been appointed 16 months ago after Sam Allardyce was sacked. Instead, yesterday's man Keegan was appointed instead of tomorrow's man.

But better late than never. Shearer is here and I believe Newcastle v Chelsea will be a Premier League fixture next season. And what's more, Alan Shearer and Guus Hiddink will be in the dugouts!

:smitten:

Great article, what a legend

Didn't say he was better than Solano or Robert did i. I'd still have those two over him; but it doesn't mean to say he wouldn't have worked well in the side aswell. Jonas is begging for a co-winger who can actually cross the ball and provide some creativity, thus relieving the pressure of "having to do every-fucking-thing in the team". We'd see a much better player in Jonas if we had a capable midfield. Him down the left with Nobby down the right wouldn't be as effective as with Robert, but it'd still be pretty tasty.

I just wish Shearer had been appointed 16 months ago after Sam Allardyce was sacked. Instead, yesterday's man Keegan was appointed instead of tomorrow's man.

But better late than never. Shearer is here and I believe Newcastle v Chelsea will be a Premier League fixture next season. And what's more, Alan Shearer and Guus Hiddink will be in the dugouts!

:smitten:

Great article, what a legend

It's a damning indictment of the transfer policy over the past couple of years. Players with legs such as James Milner and Charles N'Zogbia have gone out, the likes of Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith and Joey Barton have come in. If you can't run, you can't play in the Premier League.

Sums up our midfield.

Guest Heneage

I think Sir Bobby might be going on past glories ? The rest of our team haven't really achieved much I know Taylor is of that ilk but still. Looking at his team, my Dad maintains we should never have let go off Gary Speed and that he should he have been first name on Shearers list of coaches.

Duff is awful, but i believe that Jonas would've been excellent in his team as well as a Bassong on form, as O'Brien was sh****

There is NO way I would swap Robert for Jonas OR Duff - apart from that, SBR is quite right, the current side are rubbish compared to the 2001/2 team.

Duff is awful, but i believe that Jonas would've been excellent in his team as well as a Bassong on form, as O'Brien was sh****

There is NO way I would swap Robert for Jonas OR Duff - apart from that, SBR is quite right, the current side are rubbish compared to the 2001/2 team.

I wouldn't swap him for Jonas. But like i stated above i believe Jonas have so much potential it would be interesting to see him in that team instead of Robert. And yes i definitely agree that this years team is one of the worst football teams if not the worst football team that i have ever followed closely. No creativity, no flair, no determination! Its just rubbish really!

Michael needs better service from the flanks. Jonas Gutierrez is a talented player but his instinct is to dribble in wide areas rather than cross the ball. Either he will have to change or Newcastle need different wide players to get the ball into Michael.

He's got it dead on here.

Hes always out far to wide to be truly effective. We can praise him about his class forever, but its no use if he doesnt know how to make it effective in the pemier league. So far this season, he has only done it three or four times.

Michael needs better service from the flanks. Jonas Gutierrez is a talented player but his instinct is to dribble in wide areas rather than cross the ball. Either he will have to change or Newcastle need different wide players to get the ball into Michael.

Hes always out far to wide to be truly effective. We can praise him about his class forever, but its no use if he doesnt know how to make it effective in the pemier league. So far this season, he has only done it three or four times.

Jonas' delivery has been shocking tbf. If we had someone on the other flank who could cross, it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but unfortunately, we don't...

Jonas' delivery has been shocking tbf. If we had someone on the other flank who could cross, it wouldn't be as much of an issue, but unfortunately, we don't...

Regardless of how shocking it is, its easy for a man with his ability to make the space he needs to get the cross in. He simply has to try it more often.

Interesting comment.

Interesting comment.

And completely accurate.

Newcastle have had one legendary manager, and his name was Bobby Robson, not Kevin Keegan.  One man was sacked and still turned up to see the club he loves despite being seriously ill.  The other fucked off to play golf while we were sucked into a relegation battle. 

This thread should be titled 'I Love Bobby Robson.'  No buts about it.

Interesting comment.

And completely accurate.

Newcastle have had one legendary manager, and his name was Bobby Robson, not Kevin Keegan.  One man was sacked and still turned up to see the club he loves despite being seriously ill.  The other fucked off to play golf while we were sucked into a relegation battle. 

This thread should be titled 'I Love Bobby Robson.'  No buts about it.

Who's a special little boy...

If we were dead last in the Championship with over half the season gone and no players to buy or sell do you think Robson even answers the phone to manage us?

Oh dear, I don't think this'll help. Praising Shearer is one thing but rubbishing the players is another.

I'm sure Sir Bob is still bitter about the way his team were dismantled and he was given the push, and that's spilled out.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Bang on about:

- The supply line from wide areas

- The energy in the team

- The fact 'tomorrows'man, Shearer, should have been appointed after Allardyce

and hopefully

- Newcastle v Chelsea next season with Shearer v Hiddink

The fact 'tomorrows'man, Shearer, should have been appointed after Allardyce

Alan Oliver writes about Shearer wanting the job after Allardyce today in The People. I like Alan Oliver in The People, I think once a week suits him & me.