720p question

Joe Dynamite

I have the Dark Knight and Taken, both in 720p on my laptop. When playing through the TV (32" LCD) The Dark Knight fills the screen but the Taken has a black bar above and below. If they are both the same resolution should they not be the same size? Is it to do with widescreen? I have changed the output to both 720 and 1080 but the same happens.

I have the Dark Knight and Taken, both in 720p on my laptop. When playing through the TV (32" LCD) The Dark Knight fills the screen but the Taken has a black bar above and below. If they are both the same resolution should they not be the same size? Is it to do with widescreen? I have changed the output to both 720 and 1080 but the same happens.

Is the aspect ratio still correct on both?

If a film runs in more of a letterboxy format it will have less than 720 horizontal lines and the black above and below will make it up to 720 (it will have the same number of vertical lines as a film in 16:9).

Yeah the aspect is fine. I know it's not a big deal just looks better fullscreen. Thanks.

If you make it fullscreen you'll either cut off the sides or stretch everything upwards (and make people look strange and thin).

Leave it as it is - it's the way it was intended.

Guest elbee909

Yeah the aspect is fine. I know it's not a big deal just looks better fullscreen. Thanks.

If you make it fullscreen you'll either cut off the sides or stretch everything upwards (and make people look strange and thin).

Leave it as it is - it's the way it was intended.

Totally.