Freekicks

Thespence

Are Ryan Taylor & Geremi the best we have :-[ , we have all seen over the years the difference a freekick can make remember the not so distant past of Robert, Shearer & Nobby standing over the ball, the keeper unsure if the left or right footer is going to take it or Al is going to ping with power.

If I was in charge Jose as the only left footer likely to start would be drilling in about 50 freekicks per day. If only the power Oba possess in his boots could be used as well.

I think Enrique would be decent at FKs. Nearly all his passes are done in a FK/corner style. Whipped round the corner/over the top...he can't be any worse than the rest of the shite that takes them.

I'd never let Oba near the ball for a freekick!It'd end up in Level 7 if he tried to smash one!

OMG he can't even score from the spot, let's put the ball a bit further from goal :lol:

I'd never let Oba near the ball for a freekick!It'd end up in Level 7 if he tried to smash one!

Aye that being a key problem but he is the only known in our team with powerful shot. Unless one of those big defenders has a shot in locker like Huth used to whack them.

Aye that being a key problem but he is the only known in our team with powerful shot. Unless one of those big defenders has a shot in locker like Huth used to whack them.

Nolan?

I think Enrique would be decent at FKs. Nearly all his passes are done in a FK/corner style. Whipped round the corner/over the top...he can't be any worse than the rest of the shite that takes them.

this

Its an issue like, no real quality freecick taker since Robert, Emre Milner and Zoggy scored a few but way to many never troubles the keepers.

If Oba could keep the ball down he does have the power to smash one but really its more about technique than anything else and its sad we do not have such a player.

We were told well before Christmas that Kinnear spent about 90% of the training sessions working on defence.

It should be no great surprise to see that we've lost all ability to attack, retain possession or take set pieces when we have spent the majority of the season completely ignoring those areas of the game.

One of the reasons we're in the shit now. We haven't had anyone who can take a decent free kick for ages. Robert/Solano/Shearer was probably the last time we had any choice as said above. All our set pieces (corners, free kicks and throw ins) are shite and have been for a good few seasons. Lack of creativity in the midfielder is another long standing issue. We've all seen these obvious problem areas for years and what has been done to rectify them? Nothing, hence we're in a relegation fight.

Guest Stephen927

Corners always seem to hit the first man because they're trying to play the perfect corner. Doesn't harm whatsoever just to float a couple in deep or towards the penalty spot area.

Free kicks I have no idea. They look absolutely clueless at how to take a proper free kick.

If the distance is right, let Martins smash them like Shearer did when they were just outside the penalty box.

Its an issue like, no real quality freecick taker since Robert, Emre Milner and Zoggy scored a few but way to many never troubles the keepers.

If Oba could keep the ball down he does have the power to smash one but really its more about technique than anything else and its sad we do not have such a player.

Don't think Milner ever scored one. The two I can remember from Zog were at Bolton (definite fluke, cross evades everyone) and Fulham at home in Owen's debut - def went off the far post although I can't remember if it was an attempted cross or shot. Can only remember one from Emre (that beauty against the macks), surely he got more than that though?