Unhappy Adriano plans sabbatical

LoveItIfWeBeatU

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7993225.stm

Unhappy Adriano plans sabbatical

Brazil and Inter Milan striker Adriano is to take a break from football and "rethink his career".

"I've lost the happiness of playing," he told reporters on Thursday. "I wouldn't like to go back to Italy, I want to live in peace here in Brazil."

Adriano, 27, said he could not say how long he would stay away from the game.

"I don't know if I'm going to stay for one, two or three months without playing," said the former Flamengo star. "I'm going to rethink my career."

He said his agent, Gilmar Rinaldi, would be in contact with Inter next week and said he was aware his decision could cost him financially.

"Gilmar is going to Italy to ask for some time for me and it is fair that I am given no money," he said.

Adriano, whose contract with Inter runs until June 2010, also denied media reports of possible illness or addiction problems.

"I am not sick, alcoholic or a drug user," he said. "Everything I did was well thought out. I talked to my family, my friends and my agent, and I am doing this with my happiness in mind.

"I have nothing against Inter, I just did not like living in Italy. I felt pressured. A lot of people will not understand. It is a bad situation, not easy at all, but it is a choice."

Asked whether he could appear with a Brazilian club, Adriano said the only possibility would be Flamengo.

"If I play in Brazil, it will be for Flamengo. Otherwise, my grandmother would kill me," he joked.

Adriano failed to return to Italy after last week's World Cup qualifiers against Ecuador and Peru, in which he was an unused substitute.

On Monday, his agent said he had stayed in Brazil because of a private matter. Since then, Brazilian media has been full of speculation over what had happened to him.

The forward has struggled with fitness and alcohol problems since the 2006 World Cup, showing only flashes of the form that made him one of the world's most feared strikers.

must be a fuckin nightmare being paid a fortune to keep fit and play football week in week out i'd imagine, with the added incentive of shagging loads of gorgeous birds on the side

can see his dilemma

maybe money, fame and fanny isn't his thing

:kinnear:

must be a fuckin nightmare being paid a fortune to keep fit and play football week in week out i'd imagine, with the added incentive of shagging loads of gorgeous birds on the side

can see his dilemma

He can always go and do telesales in a call centre for British Gas.

can see his dilemma

Happiness does not come from any of those things.

Being so rich I never had any money worries ever again and being able to shag all the beautiful woman I could ever want (obviously if I wasnt with my lovely girlfriend) would make me fairly happy tbf.

Guest kingdawson

Being so rich I never had any money worries ever again and being able to shag all the beautiful woman I could ever want (obviously if I wasnt with my lovely girlfriend) would make me fairly happy tbf.

This decision will probably allow him to pull more now. Not to mention...

Brazilian girls >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Italian girls

Guest diddimz

Fair play to the fella, if he's really that unhappy that he is willing to give up everything to head back home. Though it will probably be a decision he ends up regretting.

Guest Heneage

Wrong. Italian girls all day.

He must have some major mental problems. He's at Inter Milan on more money a week than his parents would touch in a year and he wants to give it up. He hasn't even won anything major at club level, Ronaldinho I can understand more.

Guest optimistic nit

i'm sorry but for those criticising adriano if he's not happy then why the fuck should he not go back to brazil. footballs not a fucking prison, and if he's not enjoying it then i think he's making the right decision going back to brazil. at least he's not a foreign mercenary just playing the game for the money. maybe he's driven by more than just by money, cars and girls.

I believe hes doing the right thing, money is not everything in life, fame neither, its just pathetic there are people who believes money can buy happiness. Hes doing the right thing although i reckon his professional career in Europe is over.

In the hairless minge stakes yes..

can see his dilemma

christ i was pissing about man, have a sense of humour for once

kind of agree with djmattis though about it - if he's that fucking unhappy he should return all the money inter have pissed up the wall while he's been trying to get his head together then see how he feels*

i guaran-fucking-tee you he'd be a lot less happy as a binman or a toilet cleaner mate

incidentally, as you seem to know, where does happiness come from then?

*if he's got genuine mental problems then all of this is moot by the way, however no-one seems to be suggesting this so he's essentially just being a crying little bairn, until i'm told otherwise

EDIT: just to clarify this grates on me a bit for a number of reasons not least that i work like fuck in a shitheap of a country away from my family for weeks on end where i spend a lot of time not particularly happy - the difference is i don't have millions of pounds in the bank so i can just throw in my chips and fuck off home 'cause i don't fancy it any more

there are millions of people losing their jobs and homes around the world and this pisspot is turning his nose up at being a top level pro footballer, fuck him

Such a shame, could have been a legendary great.

With being one of the most one footed players ever he would always struggle to reach such a status, could of been a good striker in the history of Serie A or Inter though.

With being one of the most one footed players ever he would always struggle to reach such a status, could of been a good striker in the history of Serie A or Inter though.

You don't get much more one footed than Lionel Messi but he's still the best around at the moment.

can see his dilemma

christ i was pissing about man, have a sense of humour for once

kind of agree with djmattis though about it - if he's that f***ing unhappy he should return all the money inter have pissed up the wall while he's been trying to get his head together then see how he feels*

i guaran-f***ing-tee you he'd be a lot less happy as a binman or a toilet cleaner mate

incidentally, as you seem to know, where does happiness come from then?

*if he's got genuine mental problems then all of this is moot by the way, however no-one seems to be suggesting this so he's essentially just being a crying little bairn, until i'm told otherwise

EDIT: just to clarify this grates on me a bit for a number of reasons not least that i work like f*** in a shitheap of a country away from my family for weeks on end where i spend a lot of time not particularly happy - the difference is i don't have millions of pounds in the bank so i can just throw in my chips and f*** off home 'cause i don't fancy it any more

there are millions of people losing their jobs and homes around the world and this pisspot is turning his nose up at being a top level pro footballer, f*** him

Same argument could be used towards endless things. People dont see things from others perspective, they see it from their own.

There are obviously millions far worse off than you who could have a go at you for claiming your not happy enough even though you have a job & a family.  That you're unhappy you dont get to see them for weeks, when they cannot see them atall. etc etc

Hard to appreciate what you have unless you've experienced being far worse off for a long period of time, same for anyone. Cant hold it against him tbh.

You don't get much more one footed than Lionel Messi but he's still the best around at the moment.

Having watched both I would say Adriano looks like he struggles at times being solely reliant on one foot.