We're still fighting...

Rich

That goal COULD be monumental. We were shafted again by a bad decision and managed to cope with Stoke fairly well aside from that, despite a few naturally hairy moments.

The psychological impact of coming away with something cannot be underestimated though.

All of the selection issues/Martins stuff/Ameobi hatred aside, we've gone to a horrible, shitty ground in a horrible, shitty place with horrible, shitty fans and took a point against a horrible, shitty team.

I take a lot of hope from this, personally... as well as the fact we were planning to go 4-3-3 as of this morning, too... now we need a repeat of last season at White Hart Lane.

HOWAY THE LADS!!!

It's a poor result (if the roles had been reversed for example) but it doesn't feel like a poor result in the context of the match.  If lessons have been learned and confidences have been slightly raised, then it could end up being an immense goal from Mr. Carroll.  We will see.

That goal COULD be monumental. We were shafted again by a bad decision and managed to cope with Stoke fairly well aside from that, despite a few naturally hairy moments.

The psychological impact of coming away with something cannot be underestimated though.

All of the selection issues/Martins stuff/Ameobi hatred aside, we've gone to a horrible, shitty ground in a horrible, shitty place with horrible, shitty fans and took a point against a horrible, shitty team.

I take a lot of hope from this, personally... as well as the fact we were planning to go 4-3-3 as of this morning, too... now we need a repeat of last season at White Hart Lane.

HOWAY THE LADS!!!

Agreed, when I saw the line-up I'd have taken a point all day long.

Not sure we were planning a 4-3-3 though tbh. My guess is Guthrie started instead of Oba and Owen was pushed further up. Had we intended to go 4-3-3 it would have been pretty easy to still do so. Certainly better than going with that wank system we saw.

Needs to learn from this does Shearer, we were dire going forward all day long thanks largely to the system he sent them out in.

Andy Carroll will never score a more vital goal.

It was shit performance overall, but we were never going to play football against a shitty side like Stoke. At the end of the day, at least we came away with a point and a young centre forward that will be brimming with confidence.

I honestly believe that is the goal that will keep us up.

Shearer himself said Martins, Oba and Ameobi were all going to play and 3 central midfielders were picked aside from that so I do think it would have been Owen in between again like last season.

Just depends on Oba now. Jonas HAS to play ahead of Nolan (what a horror) too.

Shearer himself said Martins, Oba and Ameobi were all going to play and 3 central midfielders were picked aside from that so I do think it would have been Owen in between again like last season.

We cannit get him on the pitch once, nevermind twice.

I admire your confidence but i can't see it. That was shite and we got lucky today. We had one effort on target of note (the goal) and as a whole didn't looklike scoring - a good team wouldn't have sat so deep and let us come at them. We play like that against Spurs and we'll be on the end of a hiding. I hope to fuck S.Taylor and especially Enrique are back

It was shit performance overall, but we were never going to play football against a shitty side like Stoke. At the end of the day, at least we came away with a point and a young centre forward that will be brimming with confidence.

But when Carroll gets dropped for the next game, his confidence will be down the swanny again.

I don't see that goal changes anything. We've just witnessed another 90 minutes of impotence and flaccid, directionless Sunday pub team football. Hardly inspiring, and for you to see it as potentially season-changing leaves me wondering if I can have a pint of whatever you've been drinking tbh.

:dontknow:

Who replaced Martins then, in your opinion?

Duff

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Our movement in midfield/up front was worse than a decent championship team. Today doesn't inspire me with confidence.

To those saying that's the goal that will keep us up.... we're going to have to score a few more fucking goals to stay up you daft buggers.

It was s*** performance overall, but we were never going to play football against a shitty side like Stoke. At the end of the day, at least we came away with a point and a young centre forward that will be brimming with confidence.

But when Carroll gets dropped for the next game, his confidence will be down the swanny again.

I don't see that goal changes anything. We've just witnessed another 90 minutes of impotence and flaccid, directionless Sunday pub team football. Hardly inspiring, and for you to see it as potentially season-changing leaves me wondering if I can have a pint of whatever you've been drinking tbh.

Dont think carroll will be dropped. Thats twice hes stepped up now infront of shearer.

Won the reserve game & just single handedly saved us & kept us in that game.

A blind man cant ignore that.

Oba.

It was s*** performance overall, but we were never going to play football against a shitty side like Stoke. At the end of the day, at least we came away with a point and a young centre forward that will be brimming with confidence.

I think Carroll will start next week, at least I hope he does.

As for it being season changing, I just think a goal like that could inspire what happened last year. I'm not expecting six wins on the trot or anything like that, I just think we have got the quality, when put on the pitch correctly, to stay in this league.

And they'll certainly have alot more confidence than they would if they'd come out of the game losing 1-0

Duff

Surely you just play Duff in Martins' position then?

Lunacy to change the entire shape of the team when Duff has played just off the striker numerous times throughout his career and is probably at his most effective there.

I would initially say David Edgar (EDIT: Damien Duff, actually), but then I think "would Shearer change the whole formation because of Martins?"

That leads me to say that you're probably right. Guthrie came in to Nolan's position, Nolan moved up to Owen's, Owen moved up to Oba's.

That formation MIGHT have actually been decent with Martins at the spearhead and Owen coming late from deep. A 3-5-2/3-4-3 thing.

Duff

Surely you just play Duff in Martins' position then?

Lunacy to change the entire shape of the team when Duff has played just off the striker numerous times throughout his career and is probably at his most effective there.

True, but who knows, i dont even know what tactic we played today, first half was crazy. Beye went up as fullback sometimes but defended as central defender, Bassong defended as fullback but never got forward.

'

And I'm f***** proud we have a player like Bassong in our ranks, cause this kid is so secure with the ball and can play out of difficult positions and rarely loses a header.

That's the ONLY way you can look at it, for any beneficial effect.

We've gained a point on Sunderland and Hull, who play each other next, and who represent our only real hope of teams above that we can catch. Being ultra-optimistic you could say the same for Blackburn... and Pompey only drew at home to West Brom too, which was a home-banker for my money.

This absolutely has to be seen as a forward step because of that and it has to continue down at Spurs. Even just another point there and you're looking at Hull/Sunderland dropping points themselves, one way or another. Things still look quite bright for the remaining 5 games, when you consider the fixtures, if that turns out to be the case.

I'm not letting this get me too down, it could have been so much worse today.

I would initially say David Edgar (EDIT: Damien Duff, actually), but then I think "would Shearer change the whole formation because of Martins?"

That leads me to say that you're probably right. Guthrie came in to Nolan's position, Nolan moved up to Owen's, Owen moved up to Oba's.

That formation MIGHT have actually been decent with Martins at the spearhead and Owen coming late from deep. A 3-5-2/3-4-3 thing.

"It was disappointing that after two days of practising a system, we weren't able to implement it."

Read into that what you will. Funny times.

It's a poor result (if the roles had been reversed for example) but it doesn't feel like a poor result in the context of the match.  If lessons have been learned and confidences have been slightly raised, then it could end up being an immense goal from Mr. Carroll.  We will see.

They've been beaten only 3 times at home and have won every single game that they scored first in (until this one of course). Yes we're in a shitty situation and need to win games, but we still shouldn't ignore how good Stoke are at home, its definitely a good result.

I thought we were awful today, the midfield was abysmal, but the quality of the header from carroll was outstanding. Other teams have fight as well, it's a shame that's all we are relying on seeing as most of our players are earning 4 times what the likes of Hull's squad are.