Sunday: Paper Talk

Thespence

NEWS OF THE WORLD

Andres Iniesta is the latest superstar name on Manchester City's wanted list.

Manchester United have to pay back £1.1billion of debt in the next nine years.

George Gillett is to make a last-ditch attempt to oust co-owner Tom Hicks from Liverpool.

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce is ready to cash in on Portsmouth's woes with a £10million bid for Peter Crouch.

Daniel Agger says he is no nearer to securing his Liverpool future.

Martin O'Neill has been told to brace himself for a clear-out of his first-team squad if Aston Villa miss out on the Champions League - but could make a £4million move for Coventry left-back Danny Fox. (Fox was a one time Toon Target)

Bolton intend launching a new summer bid for West Brom's James Morrison.

Keiren Westwood will snub Everton as he bids to stay on as Coventry keeper.

Liverpool flop Sebastian Leto could be set for a shock move to Juventus.

Watford star Tamas Priskin is at the centre of a three-way battle for his signature. Middlesbrough, Fulham and Hull are all tracking the Hungarian.

Hull plan a swoop for Newcastle strike star Shola Ameobi. (Phil Brown deserves Shola)

Leicester want to make on-loan Liverpool defender Jack Hobbs a permanent £400,000 signing.

Tottenham see Colombian Wason Renteria as a target.

Portsmouth and Newcastle face a battle to sign Le Mans keeper Yohann Pele. (Come on French football fans have you herd of him)

Paul Ince is set to be offered the QPR job in the summer.

Fabian Delph is set to turn his back on the Premier League by staying at Leeds.

West Ham midfielder Lee Bowyer is considering making his loan move to Birmingham permanent.

Striker Dean Windass hopes for an emotional return to Bradford.

THE PEOPLE

Gianfranco Zola has signed a new four-year deal as West Ham manager.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich will give Guus Hiddink as much time as he wants to decide on becoming the permanent manager.

Liverpool star Daniel Agger is holding out for a double-your-money £70,000-a-week deal to stay at Anfield.

Manchester United are lining up a £22million move for Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes. :yikes:

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is preparing to offload £55million quartet David Bentley, Darren Bent, Roman Pavlyuchenko and Michael Dawson. (I wouldn't mind NUFC signing some of them :-[)

Portsmouth are hoping to ease their money worries by bringing forward an £8million payment for Lassana Diarra.

Paul Scharner is ready to rock Wigan by looking for a move - with Aston Villa, Bolton and Fulham on red alert.

Brede Hangeland has rejected a new deal at Fulham - leaving the door open for Arsenal.

Everton boss David Moyes is keeping tabs on Peterborough goalkeeper Joe Lewis.

Liverpool, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Fulham, Rangers and Celtic had scouts watching Coventry midfielder Aron Gunnarson in midweek.

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce is ready to sign Espanyol goalkeeper Carlos Kameni.

Ruud van Nistelrooy has vowed to resist any future approaches from Manchester City.

Sunderland chiefs expect to have a top foreign coach next season - but it won't be Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Peterborough boss Darren Ferguson is set for a major dilemma as QPR prepare to offer him their manager's job.

DAILY STAR SUNDAY

Sunderland majority shareholder Ellis Short wants a big-name continental manager appointed in the summer - and it's almost certain Martin Jol will be a target. :yikes:

Manchester City have made Stephen Ireland an 'untouchable' to stop interest from neighbours United.

Carlos Tevez is being touted around Europe's top clubs for £30million.

Manchester United face competition for Juventus in their bid to sign Franck Ribery from Bayern Munich.

Newcastle are closely monitoring Lucas Neill's contract talks at West Ham. :thdn:

Liverpool and Manchester City are lining up raids for Glen Johnson and Peter Crouch respectively.

Manchester City have been alerted by the news that Fulham centre-back Brede Hangeland has admitted he would consider leaving.

Arsenal and Chelsea are tracking Lille midfielder Eden Hazard.

Aston Villa and Fulham are showing an interest in Almeria star Alvaro Negredo.

Watford's Tamas Priskin is a target for Hull, Middlesbrough and Fulham.

Porto striker Wason Renteria claims Tottenham want to sign him in the summer.

Borussia Dortmund will send on-loan midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng back to Spurs this summer.

German wonder boy Lewis Holtby wants to join Everton.

Reading boss Steve Coppell is planning a £1.5million swoop for Derby defender Jay McEveley.

QPR will make a second attempt to persuade Spanish coach Antonio Tapia to become their new manager.

SUNDAY MIRROR

Guus Hiddink has lined up key Dutch recruits for Chelsea's backroom staff.

Newcastle are lining up a summer swoop for Manchester United's Ben Foster. :yikes:

Daniel Agger has told Liverpool they must pay him the going rate if he is to sign a new contract.

Dennis Wise is set for a shock return to management with Brighton. :mackems:

SUNDAY EXPRESS

Liverpool and Manchester City are ready to make £20million bids for Portsmouth duo Glen Johnson and Peter Crouch respectively.

Carlos Tevez is being touted around Europe with a £30million price tag.

Ricky Sbragia's days as Sunderland manager are numbered - even if they stay up.

QPR will make a second attempt to persuade Spanish coach Antonio Tapia to become their new manager.

MAIL ON SUNDAY

David Beckham's desire to prolong his England career was cast into fresh doubt last night when he was apparently frozen out of AC Milan's win over Chievo.

Chelsea have been issued a stark warning that attempting to lure Carlo Ancelotti to Stamford Bridge would be 'very, very dangerous'.

SUNDAY MAIL

Bolton are lining up a summer swoop for Scotland midfielder James Morrison.

Jim Jefferies has put all Kilmarnock contract talks on hold. (THE FOOTBALL WORLD IS ROCKED BY THIS)

SEAGULLS SWOOP FOR WISE

Dennis Wise is set for a shock return to management with lowly Brighton.

The former Chelsea firebrand is in line to take over at the Withdean at the end of the season, when the Seagulls will almost certainly have dropped into League Two.

Russell Slade is in charge at Albion until the end of the season after taking over from the sacked Micky Adams. But he will be off once their fate is sealed.

That will pave the way for Wise to come in - with a brief to turn around the South Coast club's fortunes.

A source revealed: "Dennis is dead keen to get back into management and he sees this as a great opportunity.

"It is not long since they were in the Championship - that is where they want to be again, and Dennis is up for the challenge.

"He took Millwall to the FA Cup Final, turned around Swindon's fortunes then built the Leeds team which Gary McAllister took to the League One Play-Off Final."

Wise, 42, quit Elland Road 15 months ago to take up his post as director of football at Newcastle.

But the move turned sour with Toon fans branding him part of Mike Ashley's hated "Cockney mafia".

He will be helped out at Brighton by his old ally Gus Poyet.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/04/12/seagulls-swoop-for-wise-115875-21273029/

Guest Phil K

If we do somehow survive, and we can keep that git Kinnear and his hangers on away from SJP, expert a COLLOSSAL clear out ofthese non-achieving overpaid players.

Shay Given is sent the wrong way by a 10-year-old girl. “I’ve done a lot of these things but I’ve never been asked that question,” he smiles. She wants to know what he considers the best goal scored against him.

“Um . . .” he says. “[Dennis] Bergkamp got one against Newcastle. He turned, left the centre-half with twisted socks, popped it in the bottom corner . . . But the answer is there’s never a good goal to let in.”

Given is alongside his manager, Mark Hughes, for questions and answers with schoolchildren after a coaching session organised by the Premier League sponsors, Barclays. He was at Newcastle so long he came within 34 games of their all-time appearances record, set in 1922 and admits: “When you hear the guys on TV talk about Newcastle you sometimes think you’re still a player there,” but now is determinedly steeping himself in the milieu of Manchester City.

This type of community event is relished. Another question: his best playing memory? Given talks of going to the World Cup with Ireland. The children listen. Hughes nods. But something about the answer is poignant.

“The gaffer sitting beside me is lucky enough to say his titles and stuff and I’d love to do the same, talk about winning cup finals, leagues and all that. I’d love to win any cup.”

Given is nearly 33. He has played precisely 500 times for City, Newcastle, Sunderland, Swindon and Blackburn yet there was no prospect of him citing a club experience. His career is incomplete. Jonathan Greening has a Champions League victor’s medal. David Nugent has been to Wembley and lifted the FA Cup, a legion of lesser players own silverware. Given, perhaps behind only Ryan Giggs as the Premier League’s most continually excellent footballer in each of the past 10 seasons, has a trophy cabinet the size of doll’s house furniture.

Being feted as among the world’s best is no consolation. “I don’t think adulation amounts to very much unless you’ve got trophies. You look at the great keepers through the years, [Ray] Clemence and Peter Sch-meichel, they’re remembered for what they won in their lives as much as anything else. I’d hate to look back on my career and have won nothing. I want people to say, ‘He was a good goalkeeper – and he won some silverware’.”

Given thinks of what he’s lacking “every day”. It is why he endured the “big wrench” of leaving Tyneside, where his young son and daughter were born, where a brother and sister live and where he left behind “a lot of friends and good memories, 11 and a half years of my life”.

Grounded by a childhood in Donegal during which he’d come home from school and go straight outside, back bent in soggy fields, to pick vegetables for his father’s market gardening business, Given has never been a footballer obsessed with glitz and riches. While some players were probably drawn to City by money, that was not what attracted him. “I know the ambition that’s at Man City and the owners’ wealth is well documented. The club could probably have signed any goalkeeper in the world so for them to choose me was pretty exciting.

“I felt it was right to move on from Newcastle because the ambition there has slightly changed over the last couple of years and I felt I was joining a club that was totally opposite. I can’t say we’re definitely going to do this and that but I’m at a club that excites me and I really believe it will challenge for major honours within the four-year contract I signed.”

City must engineer a turnaround to stay in the last trophy they are competing for this season, the Uefa Cup. Hamburg carry a 3-1 advantge into Thursday’s second leg after flaying Given’s team in Germany. But for five saves by the goalkeeper, most at close range employing the reflexes and strong hands that are his assets, the tie would be over.

So has life changed much since leaving Tyneside, where the headline “Given saves his side from disaster” was often appropriate? “Jam Tomorrow” could fittingly replace the words “Newcastle United” on the badge of his former club but he believes the potential of his new one is real. One factor convincing him is Hughes, even though Hamburg heightened the pressure that has been on the manager all season.

“In the papers there’s someone different linked to the club every day, both player-wise and manager-wise. I think for Man City to move forward the manager has to stay here a large number of years and build the way he wants. You’ve only got to look at Newcastle and how instability has got them in so much trouble. Newcastle and other clubs that chop and change managers never really do anything.

“He [Hughes] was a legend as a player and did a great job as manager at Blackburn and Wales. People compare us to Chelsea but when [Roman] Abramovich arrived they already had John Terry and Frank Lampard and were in the top four. Here it’s going to take some time.”

And Newcastle: what does he make of them appointing Alan Shearer, with whom he shared a dressing room for 12 seasons, including their time together at Blackburn? “He’s got a massive job. Huge task. The one thing I’d say is they maybe should have brought him in a couple of months earlier and given him a bit more time.

“But I do believe if any one person can turn it round, he’s the man. People say, ‘How can you think that, he’s never managed before’, but with his presence and charisma, the respect he’ll demand straightaway from the guys in the dressing room and people in the stadium, he’s the only one who can swing things round.”

Shearer will earn seven figures for eight weeks’ work if Newcastle stay up but Given adds: “I don’t think he’s gone there for money. He doesn’t need the money, he just lives in Newcastle, has been a Newcastle fan all his life and can see how much the fans up there are hurting. He’s seen how things have gone both on and off the pitch. The people up there are such genuine folk.

“It would be a disaster for the people, the club and the city if there was relegation. I hope, please God, that they do it [survive].”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_city/article6078039.ece

Shay Given is sent the wrong way by a 10-year-old girl. “I’ve done a lot of these things but I’ve never been asked that question,” he smiles. She wants to know what he considers the best goal scored against him.

“Um . . .” he says. “[Dennis] Bergkamp got one against Newcastle. He turned, left the centre-half with twisted socks, popped it in the bottom corner . . . But the answer is there’s never a good goal to let in.”

Given is alongside his manager, Mark Hughes, for questions and answers with schoolchildren after a coaching session organised by the Premier League sponsors, Barclays. He was at Newcastle so long he came within 34 games of their all-time appearances record, set in 1922 and admits: “When you hear the guys on TV talk about Newcastle you sometimes think you’re still a player there,” but now is determinedly steeping himself in the milieu of Manchester City.

This type of community event is relished. Another question: his best playing memory? Given talks of going to the World Cup with Ireland. The children listen. Hughes nods. But something about the answer is poignant.

“The gaffer sitting beside me is lucky enough to say his titles and stuff and I’d love to do the same, talk about winning cup finals, leagues and all that. I’d love to win any cup.”

Given is nearly 33. He has played precisely 500 times for City, Newcastle, Sunderland, Swindon and Blackburn yet there was no prospect of him citing a club experience. His career is incomplete. Jonathan Greening has a Champions League victor’s medal. David Nugent has been to Wembley and lifted the FA Cup, a legion of lesser players own silverware. Given, perhaps behind only Ryan Giggs as the Premier League’s most continually excellent footballer in each of the past 10 seasons, has a trophy cabinet the size of doll’s house furniture.

Being feted as among the world’s best is no consolation. “I don’t think adulation amounts to very much unless you’ve got trophies. You look at the great keepers through the years, [Ray] Clemence and Peter Sch-meichel, they’re remembered for what they won in their lives as much as anything else. I’d hate to look back on my career and have won nothing. I want people to say, ‘He was a good goalkeeper – and he won some silverware’.”

Given thinks of what he’s lacking “every day”. It is why he endured the “big wrench” of leaving Tyneside, where his young son and daughter were born, where a brother and sister live and where he left behind “a lot of friends and good memories, 11 and a half years of my life”.

Grounded by a childhood in Donegal during which he’d come home from school and go straight outside, back bent in soggy fields, to pick vegetables for his father’s market gardening business, Given has never been a footballer obsessed with glitz and riches. While some players were probably drawn to City by money, that was not what attracted him. “I know the ambition that’s at Man City and the owners’ wealth is well documented. The club could probably have signed any goalkeeper in the world so for them to choose me was pretty exciting.

“I felt it was right to move on from Newcastle because the ambition there has slightly changed over the last couple of years and I felt I was joining a club that was totally opposite. I can’t say we’re definitely going to do this and that but I’m at a club that excites me and I really believe it will challenge for major honours within the four-year contract I signed.”

City must engineer a turnaround to stay in the last trophy they are competing for this season, the Uefa Cup. Hamburg carry a 3-1 advantge into Thursday’s second leg after flaying Given’s team in Germany. But for five saves by the goalkeeper, most at close range employing the reflexes and strong hands that are his assets, the tie would be over.

So has life changed much since leaving Tyneside, where the headline “Given saves his side from disaster” was often appropriate? “Jam Tomorrow” could fittingly replace the words “Newcastle United” on the badge of his former club but he believes the potential of his new one is real. One factor convincing him is Hughes, even though Hamburg heightened the pressure that has been on the manager all season.

“In the papers there’s someone different linked to the club every day, both player-wise and manager-wise. I think for Man City to move forward the manager has to stay here a large number of years and build the way he wants. You’ve only got to look at Newcastle and how instability has got them in so much trouble. Newcastle and other clubs that chop and change managers never really do anything.

“He [Hughes] was a legend as a player and did a great job as manager at Blackburn and Wales. People compare us to Chelsea but when [Roman] Abramovich arrived they already had John Terry and Frank Lampard and were in the top four. Here it’s going to take some time.”

And Newcastle: what does he make of them appointing Alan Shearer, with whom he shared a dressing room for 12 seasons, including their time together at Blackburn? “He’s got a massive job. Huge task. The one thing I’d say is they maybe should have brought him in a couple of months earlier and given him a bit more time.

“But I do believe if any one person can turn it round, he’s the man. People say, ‘How can you think that, he’s never managed before’, but with his presence and charisma, the respect he’ll demand straightaway from the guys in the dressing room and people in the stadium, he’s the only one who can swing things round.”

Shearer will earn seven figures for eight weeks’ work if Newcastle stay up but Given adds: “I don’t think he’s gone there for money. He doesn’t need the money, he just lives in Newcastle, has been a Newcastle fan all his life and can see how much the fans up there are hurting. He’s seen how things have gone both on and off the pitch. The people up there are such genuine folk.

“It would be a disaster for the people, the club and the city if there was relegation. I hope, please God, that they do it [survive].”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_city/article6078039.ece

:weep:

He still loves Newcastle- the club and the city- you can tell we still have a big place in his heart and always will.

Yohann Pele is really highly rated by the press and such, but he's never really impressed me when I've seen him for Le Mans. Looked dodgy in all honesty. Mandanda has passed him in the pecking order.

Are you my go to person on French & African football?

:thup:

I felt it was right to move on from Newcastle because the ambition there has slightly changed over the last couple of years and I felt I was joining a club that was totally opposite.

:(

Guest Heneage

Yohann Pele is really highly rated by the press and such, but he's never really impressed me when I've seen him for Le Mans. Looked dodgy in all honesty. Mandanda has passed him in the pecking order.

Mandanda has tremendous agility.

Was just thinking there, and 3 of the players who a lot on here were begging for us to sign in January (Bullard, Giles Barnes & Appiah) I think have played about 2 games between them, and those were Bullard.

You know for a fact if we'd signed them people would be blaming, "typical Newcastle, we sign someone and they're injured straight away".

Wonder if Mbia and Ebondo would have done a better job than R.Taylor and Nolan?

If we were actually close to Mbia ofc

Hard to say with Ebondo as he very rarely plays. From what I have seen of Mbia since we were linked with him, he is nowt special but still looks a better player than Nolan

Tuesday tales from the tabs:

THE SUN

Chelsea confirmed last night Guus Hiddink is to return to his full-time job with Russia at the end of the season - and a new Blues boss is coming in.

Mark Hughes is battling growing unrest in his Manchester City squad over Robinho's attitude. (NEE SHIT)

Manchester United will offer Federico Macheda a long-term contract when he turns 18 in August. (NEE SHIT)

MIRROR

Sunderland are to ask former West Ham boss Alan Curbishley to take over as manager until the end of the season - once he settles his dispute with West Ham this week.  :lol:

Spurs midfielder Tom Huddlestone has told boss Harry Redknapp to play him or he will quit the club.

Colin Kazim-Richards hopes to return to England after falling out of favour at Fenerbahce.

Celtic are set to make a move for West Brom left-back Marek Cech in the summer.

Liverpool are chasing Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez.

Nottingham Forest hope to sign Joel Lynch on a permanent deal this summer.

Coventry will offer defender Daniel Fox a new deal in the summer to fend off interest from Aston Villa and Newcastle.

DAILY MAIL

Federico Macheda's agent has confirmed the player is to discuss a new five-year deal with Manchester United in the summer.

Hull City manager Phil Brown wants to raid United to sign Angolan striker Manucho on the cheap.

Frustrated Fulham target Tom Huddlestone has warned Spurs boss Harry Redknapp he is not prepared to wait forever to be granted regular first-team action.

Brazilian Jo admits his career may be in limbo as Everton cannot afford to pay £19million for the Manchester City striker. :yikes:

Villareal captain Marcos Senna insists Emmanuel Adebayor still has it all to prove if he is to be mentioned in the same breath as Arsenal legend Thierry Henry.

DAILY STAR

Gareth Southgate reckons Middlesbrough have their relegation rivals running scared after their 3-1 win over fellow strugglers Hull City.

Aston Villa striker Gabi Agbonlahor looks set to miss a major part of the club's crucial league run-in after suffering a hamstring injury in the 3-3 draw against Everton.

DAILY EXPRESS

Skipper Jonathan Greening has urged West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace to keep faith with boss Tony Mowbray, even if the Baggies are relegated.

Mark Hughes last night pleaded with fans to be as patient as Manchester City's Abu Dhabi owners as he prepared for the club's biggest game of the season against Hamburg.

Aston Villa players are refusing to give up on the dream of Champions League football, even though they could be without Gabriel Agbonlahor for the six-game run-in.

DAILY RECORD

Aberdeen could lose stars Jamie Smith and Lee Mair in the summer after missing out on a Hampden Scottish Cup pay-day with defeat to Dunfermline.