Article in the Telegraph

Guest toon tone rudeboy

Guest toon tone rudeboy

Apologies if this has been posted already.  Do you agree or disagree with this article?

Newcastle must accept times have changed

By Alan Hansen

Last Updated: 12:26am GMT 06/11/2006

In pics: Premiership action

Your View: Football fans' forum

Nobody in the Premier League will want to see a club the size of Newcastle United relegated. However, the rules of engagement are crystal-clear and the simple fact is that no club are too big to be relegated and, at the moment, Newcastle are in a sorry state of affairs.

Glenn Roeder

Basement blues: Glenn Roeder is now under real pressure

Anybody who thinks it simply won't happen to Newcastle only need to look at Leeds and Sunderland to realise that they are going to have to be careful. They have had a horrific start to the season, they are conceding more than they are scoring and only goal difference is keeping them off the foot of the Premiership table.

Newcastle are a massive club, they have a terrific stadium and the whole set-up should be geared for the big time. Some of the clubs who have come into the Premiership are struggling to fill their grounds, but you never see empty seats at Newcastle and that's why the Premiership needs them in the top flight.

If they are ever to bring success to the club, though, Newcastle need a change of philosophy and that is something that the supporters are going to have to accept. What they have to decide is whether they want to win trophies or if they would rather try and win 5-4 every week. I don't think they want to change.

Whether it be Sir Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho, they will tell you that you have to get the foundation right before you do anything else. Some of the managers that Newcastle have had since Kevin Keegan have tried to implement that, but Newcastle fans don't want their team to play like Chelsea. They want a team that says: "If you score four, we'll score five."

advertisement

From Jackie Milburn through to Alan Shearer, they have always wanted a great No 9, but how many great central defensive partnerships can you think of at Newcastle? The last defender of any merit who they had was Jonathan Woodgate – and they sold him. The problem they have now is that not only do they need a No 4, No 5 and No 6, they still need another No 9 because Shearer is no longer there and they have had terrible luck with Michael Owen's injury.

Despite what he may be saying, Glenn Roeder is under real pressure as manager. Every manager in the bottom six is under pressure and Glenn is no different, especially when you consider that Newcastle have had six managers in 10 years. That is far too many and it says it all about the situation they are in.

As a chairman, Freddy Shepherd is two things. Firstly, he has proved beyond any doubt that he is no-nonsense when it comes to sacking managers, but those managers have also been given a hell of a lot of money to spend by him, so you cannot say that he hasn't backed them in the transfer market.

To his credit, he gave Graeme Souness an awful lot of money to buy Owen, and there have been countless others who have been brought in for big transfer fees. Albert Luque and Obafemi Martins were other big-money centre-forwards, but despite all the money that has been spent they haven't signed many good centre-halves. That just sums up Newcastle and the philosophy of the club.

What happened under Kevin Keegan was once-in-a-lifetime stuff, though, and if the team who lost a 12-point lead in 1995-96 were playing in this season's Premiership, they wouldn't even finish in the top four because the game has moved on.

The issue now for Newcastle is getting out of the mess they are in, and you often find that it tends to get worse before it gets better. When you look at the way they played against Sheffield United on Saturday, you would have to say that they are in big, big trouble.

Having played in Palermo in the Uefa Cup on Thursday night, they could have moved the game back to Sunday, but they decided to take the television money, despite the fact that Sheffield United hadn't played for a week. In my opinion, if it was a choice between three points and the TV money, the points are 100 times more important, but that was Newcastle's decision.

If I were a betting man, I would still back them to stay up because they will probably just go out and buy another No 9 from somewhere, but if things continue as they are they will face major problems.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2006/11/06/sfnhan06.xml

i despair. how does this shit keep on getting perpetuated? the answer is thick blokes in the media who dont stop and think about football but rather express themselves entirely in cliches. sorry hansen, but if you spout out stereotypical, superficial nonsense and call it 'analysis' then you deserve derision.

As a neutral though that's how it does seem, Geordies always put way to much pressure on the players and managers, you have to realise that you're not the force you once were. I really can't see you getting relegated though i still reckon you'll end up finishing in the top half.

Pressure??????

Show me a team and manager that is not under pressure, of course we exspect them to win but to say the fans put to much pressure on is just utter rubbish. We want to win no more than the next set of fans..

Apologies if this has been posted already.  Do you agree or disagree with this article?

By Alan Hansen

Last Updated: 12:26am GMT 06/11/2006

In pics: Premiership action

Your View: Football fans' forum

Nobody in the Premier League will want to see a club the size of Newcastle United relegated. However, the rules of engagement are crystal-clear and the simple fact is that no club are too big to be relegated and, at the moment, Newcastle are in a sorry state of affairs.

Glenn Roeder

Basement blues: Glenn Roeder is now under real pressure

Anybody who thinks it simply won't happen to Newcastle only need to look at Leeds and Sunderland to realise that they are going to have to be careful. They have had a horrific start to the season, they are conceding more than they are scoring and only goal difference is keeping them off the foot of the Premiership table.

Newcastle are a massive club, they have a terrific stadium and the whole set-up should be geared for the big time. Some of the clubs who have come into the Premiership are struggling to fill their grounds, but you never see empty seats at Newcastle and that's why the Premiership needs them in the top flight.

If they are ever to bring success to the club, though, Newcastle need a change of philosophy and that is something that the supporters are going to have to accept. What they have to decide is whether they want to win trophies or if they would rather try and win 5-4 every week. I don't think they want to change.

Whether it be Sir Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho, they will tell you that you have to get the foundation right before you do anything else. Some of the managers that Newcastle have had since Kevin Keegan have tried to implement that, but Newcastle fans don't want their team to play like Chelsea. They want a team that says: "If you score four, we'll score five."

From Jackie Milburn through to Alan Shearer, they have always wanted a great No 9, but how many great central defensive partnerships can you think of at Newcastle? The last defender of any merit who they had was Jonathan Woodgate – and they sold him. The problem they have now is that not only do they need a No 4, No 5 and No 6, they still need another No 9 because Shearer is no longer there and they have had terrible luck with Michael Owen's injury.

Despite what he may be saying, Glenn Roeder is under real pressure as manager. Every manager in the bottom six is under pressure and Glenn is no different, especially when you consider that Newcastle have had six managers in 10 years. That is far too many and it says it all about the situation they are in.

As a chairman, Freddy Shepherd is two things. Firstly, he has proved beyond any doubt that he is no-nonsense when it comes to sacking managers, but those managers have also been given a hell of a lot of money to spend by him, so you cannot say that he hasn't backed them in the transfer market.

To his credit, he gave Graeme Souness an awful lot of money to buy Owen, and there have been countless others who have been brought in for big transfer fees. Albert Luque and Obafemi Martins were other big-money centre-forwards, but despite all the money that has been spent they haven't signed many good centre-halves. That just sums up Newcastle and the philosophy of the club.

What happened under Kevin Keegan was once-in-a-lifetime stuff, though, and if the team who lost a 12-point lead in 1995-96 were playing in this season's Premiership, they wouldn't even finish in the top four because the game has moved on.

The issue now for Newcastle is getting out of the mess they are in, and you often find that it tends to get worse before it gets better. When you look at the way they played against Sheffield United on Saturday, you would have to say that they are in big, big trouble.

Having played in Palermo in the Uefa Cup on Thursday night, they could have moved the game back to Sunday, but they decided to take the television money, despite the fact that Sheffield United hadn't played for a week. In my opinion, if it was a choice between three points and the TV money, the points are 100 times more important, but that was Newcastle's decision.

If I were a betting man, I would still back them to stay up because they will probably just go out and buy another No 9 from somewhere, but if things continue as they are they will face major problems.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2006/11/06/sfnhan06.xml

Incredible how he manages to blame the fans for that.

Hehe.

Copy dan paste. :lol:

By Alan Hansen

What a steaming pile. It was the 'fans' who clamored for the defensive problems to be solved, it was fans that said the £15 million spent on two attackers could have been more wisely spread throughout the team. The same fans that still turn up week in week out as you so kindly point out, despite for years not seeing this all out attack bollocks you believe we so petulantly demand.

Your friend Souness would have been cut even more slack if he was winning games Chelsea stylee, but he wasn't. He was sacked.

Deal with it you fuckmuppet and stop spouting shite.

i despair. how does this shit keep on getting perpetuated? the answer is thick blokes in the media who dont stop and think about football but rather express themselves entirely in cliches. sorry hansen, but if you spout out stereotypical, superficial nonsense and call it 'analysis' then you deserve derision.

Hansen is a self-important wanker.

If it was his beloved scousepool in our position, it would be totally different of course.

What a turd.

Nah you lot still consider yourself as part of the top 6 sides in the country and no less will do.

Its just not on for us to expect to beat teams like Charlton (who were as bad as I have seen for a long time!), Sheffield United etc.. at home!

Its not just the fact we are losing, its the shit like the transfer window just passed, broken promises and a manager who has been showing a complete lack of anything close to tactical knowledge!

All in all its fair to expect changes, Since Shepherd has been in charge we have had ONE manager who could even come close to being classed as a success! Thats just not good enough!

Guest Invicta_Toon

some fans still don't agree with this tbh.

As a neutral though that's how it does seem, Geordies always put way to much pressure on the players and managers, you have to realise that you're not the force you once were. I really can't see you getting relegated though i still reckon you'll end up finishing in the top half.

Mate, I know what you're getting at, but that's completely different from every fan preferring us to go out and win 4-3.  I certainly agree, there are a portion of our fans that expect far too much, like the folk that genuinely believed we'd get 6+ this year, it was just a completely unrealistic aim.  Largely because the end of last season was so fortunately lucky.

No wonder Hansen believes this. He is fed the same shit as the rest of the lazy media. They don't want to do their own research so they believe the "voice of the fans" Alan Oliver. Shepherd wants the media to think its the fans fault so he uses Oliver, Hall or whoever to get the view across. Then the national media lap it up. Something goes wrong at West Ham and you hear about it straight away. Its taken near on 3 years for some of the national media to notice our plight at the hands of Shepherd, and STILL people like Waddle and Hansen spout out the usuall shit.

If his over blown theory were true we wouldn't have cared less about the shambolic transfer window just gone, becasue we had our usual trophy signings. It's always our fault though isn't it. Perhaps we should stay at home and relieve some of the pressure on the poor dears.

Guest EstonGeordie

The London media will take any opportunity to slag us off or make us look stupid. They hate Newcastle United because (in their eyes) we should know our place and be a little North-East provincial club that poses no danger to the football establishment like Man Utd and Arsenal.

Incidentally if we did a Chelsea ( a rich benefactor and instant success) they would give us so much grief but because it is a cockney club the whole country is supposed to admire them. Get lost your horrible cockneys. I cant understand a word you say.

Hansen is an annoying, predicatble div.

How many fans on here would rather lose 5-4 than win 1-0, or win the FA Cup over the league, where have these myths come from. How would any set of fans be so stupid as to rather lose than win in ANY circumstance. Hansen needs some new sources.

Winning always come 1st we can think about style when we start winning some.

I can't be bothered to do a poll but I'd be surprised if anyone on here would prefer to lose than win.

Media crap again.