Just a general observation..When did this happen?

Guest stjamestoon

Guest stjamestoon

Just thinking,  I saw the game on saturday on the tv, not live. I live in the midlands and dont get up to SJP all that much, so have to watch most of the games on the tv. I honestly thought we were awful on saturday, really relegation material. I watch birmingham city some times at St Andrews and we looked on there level, not a clue.

At mate offered me free tickets to Villa vs Everton on sunday, so i went along. I must say that both of them teams looked leagues ahead of us. I mean when did this happen, how did Everton and Villa become so much better than us, did we just turn s*** overnight? We hardly tested the stoke keeper, and looked shambolic in defence. I mean Villa and Everton were by no means amazing, but looked so much more confident on the ball, and so much fitter. They ran and ran, and Milner covered most of the pitch. Both teams had so much more creativity, and they fought until the bitter end!

It just amazes me over a few years how we have transformed from a fairly good, 4th/5th/6th place in the league team to relegation..I suppose the point im making is that alot of people on here seem to think that we are not as bad as we actually are, and i think i shared this view until this weekend.. it has really dawned on me.

http://img.skysports.com/07/11/218x298/FreddyShepherd_598656.jpghttp://img.skysports.com/07/09/218x298/GraemeSouness_566271.jpghttp://img.skysports.com/08/01/218x298/MikeAshley_621291.jpghttp://img.skysports.com/09/01/218x298/Sam-Allardyce_1853938.jpghttp://img.skysports.com/08/03/218x298/Kevin_Keegan_696802.jpghttp://img.skysports.com/08/10/218x298/joe-kinnear_1429521.jpg

http://img.skysports.com/07/11/218x298/FreddyShepherd_598656.jpghttp://img.skysports.com/07/09/218x298/GraemeSouness_566271.jpghttp://img.skysports.com/08/01/218x298/MikeAshley_621291.jpghttp://img.skysports.com/09/01/218x298/Sam-Allardyce_1853938.jpghttp://img.skysports.com/08/03/218x298/Kevin_Keegan_696802.jpghttp://img.skysports.com/08/09/218x298/Joe-Kinnear-Luton-Town-2001_1229560.jpg

The fact that you have not included a photo of Joe Kinnear, or at least the mildly retarded cupcake dog, is a travesty and absolutely blasphemous.

edit: Never mind. :lol:

Sorry babatunde, added the photo of Kinnear late :lol:

Having put together that little montage, I realize that I feel surprisingly little antipathy towards Glen Roeder.

Yeah he was a shit manager, and he was never going to take us forward, but he certainly has contributed nowhere near as much to the destruction of the club (IN THE LAST FEW YEARS, I KNOW KEEGAN DID GREAT AMAZING :fwap:-worthy THINGS IN THE 90s) as the other six. The fact that we didn't go down in 2006-2007 despite an epic injury crisis that makes our current one look like a joke is nothing short of a miracle.

We stayed up in spite of Roeder in that 06/07 season; absolutely pathetic manager - worse than Souness imo. You're probably right not to include him though; he merely maintained the shitness. He's not as bad as Kinnear. We've got a better squad than we did then yet we're miles worse.

I think the majority of fans have spotted and commented upon every single terrible appointment over the past 6 or 7 years. Its scary the number of terrible decision that have been made flying in the face of common sence.

We stayed up in spite of Roeder in that 06/07 season; absolutely pathetic manager - worse than Souness imo. You're probably right not to include him though; he merely maintained the shitness. He's not as bad as Kinnear. We've got a better squad than we did then yet we're miles worse.

Roeder didn't do much wrong imo. The team we had that season was the worst we have had in the Premiership. His buys have been alright imo (well compared to the horriffic nature of everyone elses at least) and he even led us on a nice European campaign.

Roeder didn't do much wrong imo. The team we had that season was the worst we have had in the Premiership. His buys have been alright imo (well compared to the horriffic nature of everyone elses at least) and he even led us on a nice European campaign.

Big contradiction there imo...

He only bought two players. Other than that he was left with loans and free transfers. He certainly did not make radical changes to the team. Not much money was spent while he was here.

He only bought two players. Other than that he was left with loans and free transfers. He certainly did not make radical changes to the team. Not much money was spent while he was here.

I never wanted him appointed but to be fair the club went through one of its worst injury crisis in recent years when he was managing us. I remember one game where I counted 7 first XII players injured(we had 12-14 players injured in total). Imagine Liverpool today playing without Reina, Skrtel, Carra, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, Torres + 5-6 back-ups.

Then again, some results were embarassing like the 1-5 loss against Birmingham or the 0-1 against Sheffield U where we played like absolute amateurs.

He signed shite... there's not really any getting away from that. He turned down the opportunity to get Sol Campbell ffs, who went on to be an absolute beast at Pompey - atleast for a season.

Aye he didn't have a vast amount of money to spend, but he blew atleast £15m, which is more than a lot of clubs. A good manager can work well on a shoestring budget - Roeder was crap, his signings being one of the main reasons for why we were so naff that year. Took him until September 1st to actually sign a left-back and he scouted crepe shops on Northumberland Street to do so.

This issue of when did things go wrong has been much debated, so I'll keep my opinion brief.

The longer Shepherd stayed as Chairman, the more we became a one-man band. After 2003, he made a series of bad decisions and we've ended up struggling ever since.

I had high hopes that Ashley would turn things around, but he made a mistake in appointing Keegan. Keegan clearly wasn't suited to the role that Ashley had in mind, he was disillusioned with football and IMO wouldn't have come back if his company hadn't been in financial trouble. The chaos of this season has all stemmed from that.

He signed s****... there's not really any getting away from that. He turned down the opportunity to get Sol Campbell ffs, who went on to be an absolute beast at Pompey - atleast for a season.

Aye he didn't have a vast amount of money to spend, but he blew atleast £15m, which is more than a lot of clubs. A good manager can work well on a shoestring budget - Roeder was crap, his signings being one of the main reasons for why we were so naff that year. Took him until September 1st to actually sign a left-back and he scouted crepe shops on Northumberland Street to do so.

We received more than 9 million pounds in transfer fees while he was here. Martins and Duff were both pretty instrumental for our team that year tbh. Sibierski was decent as well. Neither Rossi nor Onyewu were poor signings. It's a shame Rossi wasn't given more of a chance though. The rest were just desperation cover moves. Low risk. Low reward.

If I was listing the people who caused this situation, the top three would be Sheperd, Ashley, and Souness. I'm not sure of the exact order, but that's the top three.

Just thinking,  I saw the game on saturday on the tv, not live. I live in the midlands and dont get up to SJP all that much, so have to watch most of the games on the tv. I honestly thought we were awful on saturday, really relegation material. I watch birmingham city some times at St Andrews and we looked on there level, not a clue.

At mate offered me free tickets to Villa vs Everton on sunday, so i went along. I must say that both of them teams looked leagues ahead of us. I mean when did this happen, how did Everton and Villa become so much better than us, did we just turn s*** overnight? We hardly tested the stoke keeper, and looked shambolic in defence. I mean Villa and Everton were by no means amazing, but looked so much more confident on the ball, and so much fitter. They ran and ran, and Milner covered most of the pitch. Both teams had so much more creativity, and they fought until the bitter end!

It just amazes me over a few years how we have transformed from a fairly good, 4th/5th/6th place in the league team to relegation..I suppose the point im making is that alot of people on here seem to think that we are not as bad as we actually are, and i think i shared this view until this weekend.. it has really dawned on me.

You're lucky you picked that match, then, it was a corker, but not exactly representative of what we see every other week.

Where were you sat? And what on earth are you doing going up the Sty to watch that rabble?

I'm not having any of that tbh mate. Totally disagree. Martins was a good signing - can't argue with that.

Duff was absolutely fucking terrible, absolutely woeful in his first season - just fucking shit. And we didn't need him in the first place either; just a total waste of money which we had a stab at cos a player with a reputation was going 'on the cheap'. One of the worst signings of this century, imo.

Rossi was a shite panic buy who we never used, so it's pretty irrelevant.

Sibierski was an even shiter panic buy. Useful in Europe but he was a pretty God awful player.

Onyewu was a shite panic buy.

I'm not having any of that tbh mate. Totally disagree. Martins was a good signing - can't argue with that.

Duff was absolutely f***ing terrible, absolutely woeful in his first season - just f***ing s***. And we didn't need him in the first place either; just a total waste of money which we had a stab at cos a player with a reputation was going 'on the cheap'. One of the worst signings of this century, imo.

Rossi was a s**** panic buy who we never used, so it's pretty irrelevant.

Sibierski was an even shiter panic buy. Useful in Europe but he was a pretty God awful player.

Onyewu was a s**** panic buy.

We did however have some central midfielders that could at least pass the ball in Emre and Parker. I wasn't the biggest fan of Parker but he was and is a lot better than what we currently have in central midfield.

The club mad 3 major errors in my opinion 1 Sacking Robson, 2 Making Roeder Permanent and 3 Bring back Keegan.

Sacking Robson was insane there is a lot had been said about that one so I don't want to go back. But hireing Rooder while there is top manger MON available was the biggining of the end for us. Just see where Villa are now and where we are I have no dobout had we hire MON we would have been a top 6 club by now. After that we shouldn't bring back KK. His time was passed and whatever he do there is no chance he can the old glory days. He is working against his own big shadow and for any person that is always very hard. Dont get me wrong I love KK but with out him this club won't be lingering around 18th or so. As for Kinnar no body wanted to touch us he had the cojons to come and work with us the damged has been done well before Kinnar. If we survive thats a big If in my part we need to keep Shearer at least he can able to do what Roy Hodgsen did for Fulham this next year for us. If he is not intersted we need to bring title winner manger and we should go with Gorden Stricken

I miss Onyewu. He was shit but he was at least big and intimidating and I liked that. I fondly remember him playing whack-a-mole with the awful Welsh dwarf when we beat Liverpool at SJP that year.

Any Americans want to comment on how he's doing lately?