Joey Barton

JJ7

Am I the only person who thinks this could be vital in our survival chances? He adds so much to our midfield when he plays and could be the drive in midfield we so badly need. A Newcastle team with Barton in is far stronger than one without him. I can still remember Sunderland away when both him and Jonas came on and totally changed our performance. It was too little too late in that game but the mackems were shitting themselves. Excluding the first 3 games, the best weve looked as a team all season was when Barton was playing against Villa.

If he hits the ground running and can stay injury free for the final games, I believe his impact will be vitally important. :snod:

Will be off the pace but will still be better that the rest of the s**** we have in there. Very interested to see how we line up if everyone is fit.

This is the problem. At this level players seem to need 2 or 3 games to get up to peak match fitness. A luxury we dont seem to have at this stage of the season. Look how long it has taken Owen to come back. You just cant expect too much too soon as much as we need the big names back.

Sadly we have players in the first team now signed on reputation who can never hit those levels of fitness again.

I think thats why we are in the bottom 3.

Guest Mucky01

our central defence is totally inept, Barton is the only hope we’ve got of changing this.

Desperate days.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Btw, has he even started training?

Return to full training expected next week. He has been in light training for the last 2 weeks

It's hard for any player to get back to full match fitness after coming back from a long injury but I think it's especially true for players in the middle of the park who are expected to make the team tick. I thought in January he was the one hope for our season but then he got injured and I just wonder whether he's not going to have enough time now to really make an impact.

If he's not fit for the games against Fulham, boro and Portsmouth he might as well start his summer holidays now. He's far better than anything else we've got but he's turned out to be a terrible signing.

If he hadn't kicked the ground against City we'd be in a lot better position than we are now imo. It's too late now, as it will take him 2/3 games to sharpen up and by that time the season will have finished.

I tend to agree thagt he could make the difference, just too late now though to pin any hope on him turning us around, we have to hope for the likes of Guthrie and Nolan to begin to step up to the plate and getting that midfield ticking.

I tend to agree thagt he could make the difference, just too late now though to pin any hope on him turning us around, we have to hope for the likes of Guthrie and Nolan to begin to step up to the plate and getting that midfield ticking.

Both were abysmal against Stoke so it's difficult to pin much hope on either really.

Both were abysmal against Stoke so it's difficult to pin much hope on either really.

To be fair to Guthrie he was coming back from injury and was the only midfielder to try to put his foot on the ball. And even if he wanted to play football it's very difficult when Butt and Nolan don't want to show for the ball.

I've still got faith in Guthrie, he hasn't done a lot wrong in what must be proving a very difficult season for him considering his lack of experience.

To be fair to Guthrie he was coming back from injury and was the only midfielder to try to put his foot on the ball. And even if he wanted to play football it's very difficult when Butt and Nolan don't want to show for the ball.

I've still got faith in Guthrie, he hasn't done a lot wrong in what must be proving a very difficult season for him considering his lack of experience.

I like Guthrie as a player, don't get me wrong. Unlike Nolan, he's got some natural ability and actually looks like he's fit enough to play the game at this level and he has good ability on the ball. He does tend to hide in some games and doesn't look to take charge which is what he needs to work on if he doesn't want to be seen as a Liverpool reject all his life. It's up to him.

Was it someone off here or someone I know off the forum who said they'd seen him out in Town recently?

Apparently said "I'll be back soon and I'll keep us up" when asked about his return :lol: