'Choosing my EPL team'

Dave

Found this on RAWK and it's fairly amusing so I thought I'd post it.

Warnings:

• Written by a yank, so contains a load of references to US teams and personalities.
  • It's a few years old.
  • Spurs win. :idiot2:
  • Did I mention it's written by a yank?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060719_2

If you can't be arsed with the intro it gets going properly about halfway down the first link.

Guest rinaldo #18

According to the yank we are "a dysfunctional franchise"

Since when where British clubs called franchises?(except for pool') Stupid americans.

According to the yank we are "a dysfunctional franchise"

Since when where British clubs called franchises?(except for pool') Stupid americans.

You were given AMPLE warning that there were 'americanisms' in the article.

These are the words that those in the states would use for their own sports, therefore it is to be expected someone of little football/soccer knowledge who is from the States, would continue to use such terms in reference to soccer/football. Perhaps the man will change his vocab in time, but for now... get over it.

You'll be surprised how influential this piece was. Simmons is almost certainly the most widely read sportswriter in the US, or at least among the most widely read nationwide. For many younger fans, the 2006 World Cup was their first real introduction to the global game, and literally by the thousands, they picked up the Premier League after that. As I've written before, this article was the first time I'd ever heard of NUFC, and was the main reason I started to learn more about Newcastle and eventually became a fan. (Sometimes I regret the day this ever happened). I was looking for a reason to become a real fan, and this was the perfect excuse to get involved. For Americans with no ties to England, getting into the league that was clearly exploding in popularity stateside would have been difficult otherwise. I personally know at least 15 friends that wanted to become fans and used this particular article as the launching point. Many simply opted for a Big 4 team due to the exposure (mostly Arsenal and Liverpool), disregarding the fact that they would be called a bandwagoner by Simmons. Others actually simply followed Simmons advice and latched onto Spurs (I know a few of these people myself). Personally, I immediately was attracted to Newcastle, as they seemed to have a history and following similar to the other teams I support. So, looking back on it now, I realize how misguided and "American" it seems, but it was certainly among the most important sports articles of the last decade regarding soccer for Americans.

You'll be surprised how influential this piece was. Simmons is almost certainly the most widely read sportswriter in the US, or at least among the most widely read nationwide. For many younger fans, the 2006 World Cup was their first real introduction to the global game, and literally by the thousands, they picked up the Premier League after that. As I've written before, this article was the first time I'd ever heard of NUFC, and was the main reason I started to learn more about Newcastle and eventually became a fan. (Sometimes I regret the day this ever happened). I was looking for a reason to become a real fan, and this was the perfect excuse to get involved. For Americans with no ties to England, getting into the league that was clearly exploding in popularity stateside would have been difficult otherwise. I personally know at least 15 friends that wanted to become fans and used this particular article as the launching point. Many simply opted for a Big 4 team due to the exposure (mostly Arsenal and Liverpool), disregarding the fact that they would be called a bandwagoner by Simmons. Others actually simply followed Simmons advice and latched onto Spurs (I know a few of these people myself). Personally, I immediately was attracted to Newcastle, as they seemed to have a history and following similar to the other teams I support. So, looking back on it now, I realize how misguided and "American" it seems, but it was certainly among the most important sports articles of the last decade regarding soccer for Americans.

Dont mate, cause when the good times come round again you'll be glad you chose NUFC.

Dont mate, cause when the good times come round again you'll be glad you chose NUFC.

I don't really regret it, just one of those "I can't believe I went with the team that destroys my soul every single week" moments when epic mistakes would be made by Bramble, Babayaro, Ramage, Taylor, Butt, et al. At this point, I could no more push away Newcastle than I could any of my hometown teams.

I thought Broon Ale was only popular in New York, looks like I was wrong

Nah it's popular everywhere. In recent years, it's become very trendy among average young professionals everywhere to say that Newcastle is their favorite beer (classy, tasteful, not too cheap, but not too obscure, expensive or weird). After saying all that...it's my favorite beer too.

Nah it's popular everywhere. In recent years, it's become very trendy among average young professionals everywhere to say that Newcastle is their favorite beer (classy, tasteful, not too cheap, but not too obscure, expensive or weird). After saying all that...it's my favorite beer too.

that's amazing that is, means I wont have to drink piss like Bud when I travel round the place. I remember being in awe the first time I went to NY a couple of years back that literally every other pub had it on tap

It's everywhere, hell, I was out with some gay mates of mine in that gay district in San Fran the other year, and they had it on tap.