Crosses

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

Watching last night's brilliant match between Chelsea and Liverpool it really hit me just how many crosses Liverpool send into the box from either flank and not even from the flank. I counted about 20 crosses alone in a 25 minute period so god knows their final tally and while not all of them troubled Chelsea, a good few did. It seems at Newcastle the mentality is a) you need a good crosser of the ball and b) have to reach the byeline to whip crosses in.

You don't and given our abomination of a midfield I think as a tactic this could be the answer - just keep sending in crosses from all over the final 3rd and opponents half. This would allow our forward line to push up, our midfield to push up and pick up and keep the opposition penned in. Against Stoke I think we sent in something like 5 crosses all game in open play.

When we got towards their final 3rd, if the winger or man on the ball was facing 2 markers, he played it back in field or backwards to our own full-back area.

Watching Liverpool they just whip it in, regardless of who is in front of the man on the ball or how many, whether they be at the byeline, infield or 40 or so yards away from the opponents goal. Those crosses coming in like that from all over at all times caused the usually rock-like Chelsea defence to panic and it was no wonder Cech looked fazed as he had his defence on top of him throughout for long spells.

Its more to do with the fact that we've been useless in the air outside of Carroll & the fact that liverpool have a defense capable of dealing with pressure if it comes back at them. We try to keep possession & get into dangerous position before putting the ball in...probably because if we lumped it in from 40 yards out we'd lose the ball constantly & invite endless pressure = concede goals.

Then you have to keep in mind that these crosses need to actually stay in play & if they do....not get headed away by the first man. Impossible for us 7 times out of 10.

Still, agree that more crossing would be useful now Carrolls shown what he can do....think most do. Maybe Owen will get some headers again if he gets it together.

Watching last night's brilliant match between Chelsea and Liverpool it really hit me just how many crosses Liverpool send into the box from either flank and not even from the flank. I counted about 20 crosses alone in a 25 minute period so god knows their final tally and while not all of them troubled Chelsea, a good few did. It seems at Newcastle the mentality is a) you need a good crosser of the ball and b) have to reach the byeline to whip crosses in.

You don't and given our abomination of a midfield I think as a tactic this could be the answer - just keep sending in crosses from all over the final 3rd and opponents half. This would allow our forward line to push up, our midfield to push up and pick up and keep the opposition penned in. Against Stoke I think we sent in something like 5 crosses all game in open play.

When we got towards their final 3rd, if the winger or man on the ball was facing 2 markers, he played it back in field or backwards to our own full-back area.

Watching Liverpool they just whip it in, regardless of who is in front of the man on the ball or how many, whether they be at the byeline, infield or 40 or so yards away from the opponents goal. Those crosses coming in like that from all over at all times caused the usually rock-like Chelsea defence to panic and it was no wonder Cech looked fazed as he had his defence on top of him throughout for long spells.

Another reason why Liverpool were bombarding Chelsea's box with crosses was mainly due to the calamity of a keeper that Petr Cech has turned into! I think he caught about one ball all night. And with having someone as good as Fernando Torres on guard to pounce on any lose balls its a good tactic.

Yes HTT, ideally what you've suggested is what we should be doing, but we have a mentality of giving it out to Duff and/or Jonas to do something with it. Jonas has probably put a handful of crosses in the box all season, while Duff seems to be scared of looking forward. But actually, Duff assisted Carroll's goal on the weekend with a hopeful punt back into the box! There you go.

Another thing we miss is having a Tim Cahill-like player. Someone who takes a gamble and times his runs to perfection. I thought Nolan might of been the answer to our static and ultra-defensive midfield but he's clearly not. At max we only ever have 3 our players in or around the box.....again, at max.

Sadly, our idea of 'crossing' from inner field positions is having Harper or a defender hoof it up the pitch towards Shola. The balls are either way off target/too high, or he cant be bothered his fat arse to move....and we just lose the ball again.

Another reason why Liverpool were bombarding Chelsea's box with crosses was mainly due to the calamity of a keeper that Petr Cech has turned into! I think he caught about one ball all night. And with having someone as good as Fernando Torres on guard to pounce on any lose balls its a good tactic.

Yes HTT, ideally what you've suggested is what we should be doing, but we have a mentality of giving it out to Duff and/or Jonas to do something with it. Jonas has probably put a handful of crosses in the box all season, while Duff seems to be scared of looking forward. But actually, Duff assisted Carroll's goal on the weekend with a hopeful punt back into the box! There you go.

Another thing we miss is having a Tim Cahill-like player. Someone who takes a gamble and times his runs to perfection. I thought Nolan might of been the answer to our static and ultra-defensive midfield but he's clearly not. At max we only ever have 3 our players in or around the box.....again, at max.

Sadly, our idea of 'crossing' from inner field positions is having Harper or a defender hoof it up the pitch towards Shola. The balls are either way off target/too high, or he cant be bothered his fat arse to move....and we just lose the ball again.

Remember, his mistakes are all uncharacteristic.

Total bullshit.

Something else that we did years ago but have apparently forgotten about that you see the "top" teams doing all the time.

When was the last time you remember seeing a Newcastle winger running in from either wing to anticipate an overhit cross or defensive error from a cross from the opposite wing?

I can't remember seeing Duff or Jonas (or Milner, or N'Somnia, or any winger going back to Nobby) doing it.

Total bullshit.

No mate, your post there is bullshit! Andy Gray, Martin Tyler and Jamie Redknapp all have think he's going through a bad patch! Cop on and listen to them, man!

:shifty:

Total bullshit.

No mate, your post there is bullshit! Andy Gray, Martin Tyler and Jamie Redknapp all have think he's going through a bad patch! Cop on and listen to them, man!

True. Just today I climaxed when I heard Macheda's name, and it made me think of the way "Man Utd's academy keeps producing world-class talent". I concluded by agreeing that 2 20 minute cameos is enough evidence to make such a claim.

[itv]GERRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :fwap: :fwap: :fwap: :fwap: :fwap: :fwap:[/itv]

Total bullshit.

True. Just today I climaxed when I heard Macheda's name, and it made me think of the way "Man Utd's academy keeps producing world-class talent". I concluded by agreeing that 2 20 minute cameos is enough evidence to make such a claim.

[itv]GERRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :fwap: :fwap: :fwap: :fwap: :fwap: :fwap:[/itv]

"TOP  :fwap: :fwap: :fwap: FOUR  :fwap: :fwap: :fwap:"

Something else that we did years ago but have apparently forgotten about that you see the "top" teams doing all the time.

When was the last time you remember seeing a Newcastle winger running in from either wing to anticipate an overhit cross or defensive error from a cross from the opposite wing?

I can't remember seeing Duff or Jonas (or Milner, or N'Somnia, or any winger going back to Nobby) doing it.

Please don't call him that - just reading it makes me want to cry  :kinnear:

Watching last night's brilliant match between Chelsea and Liverpool it really hit me just how many crosses Liverpool send into the box from either flank and not even from the flank. ......

I don't think it would be popular with Newcastle United at all.

The fans here call it long ball tactics and the likes of Bolton, Stoke are deemed the black sheeps of Premiership.

People have forgotten that a long ball is a long pass. It is a fair game to play and win with long balls and a long ball is completed is a fantastic long pass. When Beckham crosses, you realise that footballs have eyes.

Watching last night's brilliant match between Chelsea and Liverpool it really hit me just how many crosses Liverpool send into the box from either flank and not even from the flank. ......

I don't think it would be popular with Newcastle United at all.

The fans here call it long ball tactics and the likes of Bolton, Stoke are deemed the black sheeps of Premiership.

People have forgotten that a long ball is a long pass. It is a fair game to play and win with long balls and a long ball is completed is a fantastic long pass. When Beckham crosses, you realise that footballs have eyes.

:lol:

I'd forgotten how priceless Delima was.

:lol:

:kinnear:

Liverpool don't just cross the ball far more effectively they also manouvre the ball into the final third of the pitch far better through good passing and movement so they are in a good position to get those crosses in as well. That's our biggest problem. We have awful midfielders who have trouble passing wind never mind the ball.

Our major issue with moving the ball around is the glaring lack of movement off the ball.  The majority of our players just stand there with their arms pointing at the ground waiting for the ball without making an intelligent run.  This is why Lovenkrands is invaluable.  He moves intelligently off the ball and will hopefully make some of the other players in the squad perk their ears up and take a look.

It is true we cant cross like the team that blitzed us 5-1 due to lack of a right winger & Duff being the most creative left winger we have, oh & lack of players like Torres, Kuyt to aim for is also proving a bit of a problem.

Total bullshit.

"TOP  :fwap: :fwap: :fwap: FOUR  :fwap: :fwap: :fwap:"

Who would you expect them to go gaga over? The top 4 win a lot, they have the best players. on aire pundits/commentators rarely slam players. So don't expect them to say x player is shit. I dunno, though. I live in America, I don't get the coverage you do. I get Bobby McMahon.

But why is you lot always hate almost everyone in the Prem? I love Newcastle United but I can admit when a player plays well.

not liverpools usual tactic. seemed the decision to play like that was part forced (gerrard out) and part tactical (ivanovic not a full back and chelseas weaknesses being mainly out wide defensivly)