New Director of Football?

cosmic

Didn't Dalglish do this job at Celtic? (Badly)

Yes, with John Barnes as manager (also badly)

John Barnes was BAD. Period. Whereas KD had actually won trophies with his other clubs. Unfortunately we were the only club he managed that ended up without any trophy. Typical

Don't think you can blame DoF if the manager is sh**e. He is only there for support / advice.

Guest FlapjackJoe

Why not simply give 75% of the transfer budget to the manager, and 25% to Richard Money to spend on youth players?

Fucking llambias can then do more than just sell pies and programmes and help with contract renewals and stuff.

No need for a DoF.

fancy title for a chief scout, accountable to the manager, chosen by the manager.

This is how it should always have been, and if it had been, there would never have been a problem with it.

Arthur Cox would and could have done the same job for Keegan, and when he left it was the final indicator to me that Keegan wouldn't be far behind him walking out the door.

Yep, if this happens, it'll be Shearer's choice all the way - and quite right, too. He's always had a lot of respect for Dalglish, so I couldn't be too surprised if it does.

I'm not too sure about the appointment for a variety of reasons (re: scouting and admin, he's been out of the game for a while (but then again, Keegan supposedly had been too, and he got us Bassong!)), but that's for Shearer to decide.

I must say like others that in retrospect, several of Dalglish's purchases proved to be very successful - not just in terms of talent but that of character. Nobby, Dabizas, Given, Speed and others went on to become the bedrock of our Champions' League side.

think people should have sense to differentiate between someone who introduced bad(for the toon) tactics adn someone who can spot a talented player.

KDag, must have a pretty good network in place after 30yrs+ in football.  AM sure shearer knows him better than any of us!

ALl academic till shearer stays next year anyway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8012611.stm

Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish says he has not been approached about returning to Anfield but admits he would be happy to take up a role with his old club.

Dalglish, who won eight League titles in 14 years with the Reds as player and manager, had been linked with a role overseeing Liverpool's youth set-up.

He told LFC magazine: "If I can be of help to the club I love in any capacity I am more than happy to help.

"But, if the club wants me to stay out of the way, then I won't take offence."

The 58-year-old said he had seen and heard the speculation about him being offered a post.

He added: "At the moment there's not much more that I can say, other than that if and when there's anything to say to the supporters - the people who keep this club alive - then they will be the first to know."

After leaving Liverpool in February 1991, Dalglish had spells as manager of Blackburn Rovers and Newcastle United before a stint as director of football at Celtic, whom he left in 2000.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8012611.stm

Liverpool legend Kenny Dalglish says he has not been approached about returning to Anfield but admits he would be happy to take up a role with his old club.

Dalglish, who won eight League titles in 14 years with the Reds as player and manager, had been linked with a role overseeing Liverpool's youth set-up.

He told LFC magazine: "If I can be of help to the club I love in any capacity I am more than happy to help.

"But, if the club wants me to stay out of the way, then I won't take offence."

The 58-year-old said he had seen and heard the speculation about him being offered a post.

He added: "At the moment there's not much more that I can say, other than that if and when there's anything to say to the supporters - the people who keep this club alive - then they will be the first to know."

After leaving Liverpool in February 1991, Dalglish had spells as manager of Blackburn Rovers and Newcastle United before a stint as director of football at Celtic, whom he left in 2000.

Was waiting for someone to say something about the supposed Liverpool linkup - During Liv/Arse yesterday they mentioned he might take up a role as he was sitting up in the box watching the match....

Don't really see him coming here to be honest, But I'd be for it. He has lots of contacts and I'm sure he and Big Al would get on well.*

*Denotes the notion Big Al stays on. (I keep forgetting about JFK)!!!

seems like more of a mentor role coupled with organising scouting etc. cant see dogleesh back, id welcome him back, didnt hold anything against him last time. i still like the idea of a dof, the person has to be chosen by the manager though. lets just hope he doesnt turn to el tel.

I'm all for a DOF in the way Gordon Milne worked under SBR, someone like that who really oversees a lot of the administration work to free up more time for the manager to do the footballing side of his job. Also there has to be transparency in his role, not how under Wise nobody was actually sure what he done.

I'm all for a DOF in the way Gordon Milne worked under SBR, someone like that who really oversees a lot of the administration work to free up more time for the manager to do the footballing side of his job. Also there has to be transparency in his role, not how under Wise nobody was actually sure what he done.

I think it was more the high profile he had, and the fact the manager didn't seem to know why he was there that was the problem. I was and am far from sure about Milne's role, but so long as the manager knows what's going on, why they're there and most importantly wants them there then there shouldn't be an issue.

I think it was more the high profile he had, and the fact the manager didn't seem to know why he was there that was the problem. I was and am far from sure about Milne's role, but so long as the manager knows what's going on, why they're there and most importantly wants them there then there shouldn't be an issue.

This is really the crux of the issue. If the guy's name wasn't Dennis Wise honestly nobody would have cared about him.

This is really the crux of the issue. If the guy's name wasn't Dennis Wise honestly nobody would have cared about him.

I don't know about that exactly, it's more the high profile he's been afforded at the club than anything, although the fact he was reasonably notorious as an unliked player and known by all exacabated this without a doubt.

I'm pretty sure I made a stunning and inciteful post about his role in the last thread about him, but you philistines all ignored it. And now I've forgotten what I said.

Completely disagree with that.

I don't know about that exactly, it's more the high profile he's been afforded at the club than anything, although the fact he was reasonably notorious as an unliked player and known by all exacabated this without a doubt.

I'm pretty sure I made a stunning and inciteful post about his role in the last thread about him, but you philistines all ignored it. And now I've forgotten what I said.

Sphinx should help you then. ;)

Completely disagree with that.

He never talked to the media, was barely visible in public, just went on with his job quietly, which was probably precisely what Ashley wanted him to do.

If he was just another random Spanish bloke like Jimenez or Vertre nowhere near the same amount of vitriol would have been aimed at him.

Sphinx should help you then. ;)

I'm not searching for it. It'll be like Joey Barton coming back, I've built it up way too much now.