Sunday's funny stuff

Dave

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/270361/WISE-MEN-FACE-AXE.html

NEWCASTLE are ready to ditch the three flops Dennis Wise persuaded the club to splash out £21million on last year.

Fabricio Coloccini, Jonas Gutierrez and Xisco are all out of St James' Park once the season ends.

Wise, who was axed as director of football when Alan Shearer arrived this month, was behind the deals - signings which led to Kevin Keegan quitting as boss in September.

Toon owner Mike Ashley is also getting rid of technical co-ordinator Jeff Vetere and chief scout Lil Fuccillo.

Argentine defender Coloccini, 27, cost £10.5m from Deportivo but has been dropped by new boss Shearer.

Fellow Argie Gutierrez, 26, was supposed to be free but Ashley ended up paying £5m for the midfielder.

And striker Xisco, 22, has started just three Premier League games since his £5.7m switch from Depo.

The Toon can only expect to recoup a fraction of the money they coughed up for the trio.

Ashley also had to shell out over £1.5m to get rid of Wise. The exits of Vetere and Fuccillo are part of plans to clear the decks for Shearer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1171775/Shearer-just-10m-kitty-stays-Newcastle-season.html?ITO=1490

Alan Shearer will be handed a transfer budget of just £10million if he decides to stay on as manager of Newcastle United after his stint in temporary charge finishes at the end of the season.

The club's financial plight will force the former Gallowgate hero to choose between using his heart or his head when deciding whether to continue.

Although publicly Shearer insists nothing has been decided, a source underlined the task awaiting whoever fills the St James' Park job next season.

Shearer said: 'There are still people working for those particular targets. I think it would be wrong of the club not to do that.

'I'm sure we'll put our ideas across and see what happens. But that part of the club is still working.'

Multi-millionaire owner Mike Ashley is hoping to persuade Shearer to stay on but is unwilling to pour any more substantial funds into the club he would still sell if the right offer came along.

Newcastle shelled out an astonishing multi-million pound to land Argentina central defender Fabricio Coloccini and £14.5m for Kevin Nolan's transfer fee and contract when he moved from Bolton.

Apart from the two articles being hilariously contradictory, can anyone shed any light on the bits in bold? :lol:

I would love an explanation of whatever's going on re: Gutierrez's fee. Really unclear on where that one's gone/going.

As far as anyone knows it's still being discussed/argued out.

As I've always said the News of the World is a comic not a news paper, pure fantasy.  I'm sure FIFA/Uefa/Sarsfield/Mallorca/somebody would mention it if we'd ended up paying a fee for Gutierrez.  Though if we did end up paying £5 million, it would be a bargain in todays market!  Flop.. yeah ok  :doh:

As for the Daily Mail, well they're just fucking illiterate :lol:

£14.5 million for Nolan!

Where the hell do they make this up?!!

I assume they're taking a guess at a 5 year £40,000+ per week contract and adding the £4 million fee to make a rather sensationalist figure.

£5m for Jonas? Oh no, outrageous. ???

Well, if we take it as being true just for the sake of argument, it is very bad as it's £5m we thought we still had in our pockets until recently. Given how much we're spending in general, it's a big hit. Far better to have him for free, put simply, never mind any relative valuations we might be pleased about.

I would love an explanation of whatever's going on re: Gutierrez's fee. Really unclear on where that one's gone/going.

As far as anyone knows it's still being discussed/argued out.

Thing is, I'm not sure what there is to argue about. As far as I'm aware, we've operated within the confines of the Webster ruling - something ultimately rooted in the EU's (of whom all our bases belong to) attitude to employment law. As it is, I'm not sure what legal grounds Deportivo can offer to say Gutierrez should have been paid for, and it would seem their action is more inspired by emotion than sense - a bit like Le Havre's when we took N'Zogbia.

The fact is, if things went far enough, Deportivo risk Brussels wading in and calling ALL of football's binding contracts into question - the Webster thing was only a halfway house set up by football from a position of weakness. The legalities are only going to push this stuff in one direction - total freedom of movement, which won't ultimately be in Deportivo's (or any club's) favour.

'You're going down with a silver bullion ship'

got a nice ring to it................i was thinking..........

"come here and we'll singe your beards

come here and we'll singe your beards

come here and we'll singe your beards"