"The" Must Win Game

Tsunami
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For me it is Pompey, win that and we stay in touch and can look forward to 'boro at home. If we draw or lose against Pompey we have Liverpool next and will look cut adrift by the time we play 'boro on the Monday night.

Anything we get against Spurs is a bonus.

Pompey is the game; deja vu.

Guest johnson293

We need more than just three points so we have at least 3-4 must win games, hopefully starting today :clap2:

^ This.

Without hitting the panic button, its worrying that with results yesterday/recently, even if we win today we wont get out of the bottom 3.

Haven;t looked at the other clubs (down there) upcoming fixtures, but teh last thing we need is the gap to get any bigger, before we start pickign poiints up.

Just hope todays match goes like last seasons, when i didn't expect us to win at Spurs, never mind a 4-1 win!!

For me it is Pompey, win that and we stay in touch and can look forward to 'boro at home. If we draw or lose against Pompey we have Liverpool next and will look cut adrift by the time we play 'boro on the Monday night.

Anything we get against Spurs is a bonus.

Pompey is the game; deja vu.

I agree.

Guest shearer_united

Portsmouth and Middlesborough games are the only 2 where we should really be looking at getting 3 points from.

We should expect a point from the tottenham game which is not bad Away.

Liverpool game >> we'd be lucky to get a point from the game.

Fulham is an underrated team and are doing well > a point should be enough

Aston Villa >> they're fighting for a european spot and are a tough opponent. We should hope that by the time Newcastle goes to Villa Park, we'd be in a safe spot away from relegation.

Guest Stephen927

Anything less than a win against Portsmouth (assuming today ends in a draw or a loss) would mean we would be going to Anfield looking for points against a team who are chasing their first league title in ages.

The next two games are our must wins in terms of moving up out of the relegation zone as soon as possible. The longer you're down there, the quicker the sense of doom creeps into the players and confidence will take a huge knock after Shearer's positive arrival. We need to try and keep that feel good factor up because it's an advantage we have over the other relegation threatened teams.

The only 'real' must win is against Boro.

7 points will probably keep us up, so 4 more from the other two home games will do, but we need to get 3of those against Boro.

*obviously 3 home wins and anything else we pick up away is preferable, but we're only aiming for 4th bottom for now*

Guest stjamestoon

People dont seem to realise if we loose today its more or less over. Sunderland Stoke and Pomp all getting three points yesterday and even Boro got 1 point. We need three today!!!! Come on!

People dont seem to realise if we loose today its more or less over. Sunderland Stoke and Pomp all getting three points yesterday and even Boro got 1 point. We need three today!!!! Come on!

Wrong.

Guest Darth Toon

I'm increasingly getting the feeling this will go right to the wire and we'll need to pull off a great escape  - I can see us taking just a point from the next 3 games, being well adrift and written off before home wins against Boro and Fulham and clinching survival with a last day win at Villa....

I'd say this coming game with spurs is a must win, if we get nothing it's going to be a lot harder slog, however if we can get the win then it'd give us a little bit more momentum to carry us through to the end.

However, it's got a draw written all over it for me.

Guest Phil K

We are now falling adrift - even winning today doesn't get us out of the bottom 3.

We MUST win. A draw is not good enough. Draws haven't been good enough for months.

No wins, and we've been dropping like a stone.

No more excuses.

Portsmouth is a must win game because the sooner we gain the confidence from a win the better, we need to get the Shearer bandwagon going.  I think we can get beat today and still survive but if we get a win then it will be a massive bonus and would probably mean that we would be out of the bottom 3 by next week.

If we don’t win against Portsmouth then it leaves us with a mammoth task to avoid going down and possibly a task that we’ll not be up to.  I think we'll beat Portsmouth and I think we'll win by a good margin if we can score early because Shearer will not go looking for a 1-0 win.

Things aren't going according to plan with the other teams around us at the minute.

Some people are still confident that around 38/39 points will comfortably see us safe. But the way the other teams are picking up the odd win here and there, this could be one of those seasons where 40/41 points see you relegated.

For us to be comfortable, i my opinion we need 42 points.

Wrong.

You cant state wrong, its his opinion which isnt all that ridiculous to be honest.

Has anyone considered that results before the "must win game" for both teams whatever that is, will have a big effect on the outcome of that game.

Seems like so many are scared of losing that they want to put themselves in some kind of happy little comfort zone where they can say "oh we dont HAVE to win"...just so if it all goes tits up they wont feel to disasterous about it.

No, mathematically we dont HAVE to win.

Will a crap result & dropping further behind other sides outside the relegation zone have a negative effect on a side that falls apart without confidence?

Does this effect make it more likely that we'll play even worse against the sides we have following that game, on previous showings this season.....yes it does.

Does that mean any game we have from now on is "not that bad if we lose" ?????