Newcastle United vs. Portsmouth-Monday 27th April 8pm *Setanta 1* Pre-match

joeyt

Guest toonlass

Pompey are a poor team, but then again so are we. I would encourage all fans to sing their hearts out to ligt the team, and perhaps make the most of our Premiership status:

No idea what the team could be but I would be hopeful that Barton, Guthrie and Enrique start, and I would do a preferred line-up but it depresses me to do so.

All we need to do is mark Crouch out of the game and keep an eye on Belhadj, Johnson and Krancjar. James has been iffy for a few games recently.

Can see this being a 0-0, and would happilly take a controversial 1-0 win with Gutierrez. I have so far created two pre-match threads, and we are unbeaten in both of these (albeit being against WBA and Everton)

Now f**king come on!!!

:indi:

The singing bit isn't going to happen. Its taking a lot of effort for the majority of fans to tut at the moment. Apart from the Leazes corner and the occassional chant from the Gallowgate the apathy has well and truly taken over.

Shearer might not have brought the instant impact we were hoping for, but I'd much rather go down knowing we tried out some different ideas than just carried on with the shite that got us in this position in the first place.

The criticism Shearer is getting is unwarranted IMO. There's only so much you can do with a hamstrung squad.

If Lippi or Mourinho had played 3-5-2 i'd criticise them for it, too. it's madness. I could see an argument for using it against stoke - forwards and wingers with relatively limited mobility who will launch it forward and then win headers - it gives us an extra man to pounce on knock-downs. but it didnt even work against them. trying to play it against a side like spurs who have such good movement upfront and out wide is suicide. had we set ourselves out more sensibly in the two games i honestly think we would've came away with more than a measly 1 point.

Owen was already providing an extra midfielder as he was playing deep and in theory, Duff and Ryan should have pushed up to bolster the midfield further. Liverpool used to play the system very effectively but you need the players to make it work and not stand frozen like frightened rabbits. I feel for Shearer because the lack of a left back or right winger means the wing back option was a tempting one even if it didn't work out.

Guest Heneage

Guthrie must start, and obviously Barton is he's capable of starting.

Why isn't Barton capable of starting? Won't he have had a week of full training.

Harper

Beye Colocinni Bassong Enrique

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Owen

Martins   Viduka

This

I would say the same formation, with one exception.  I think the formation should have Owen and Viduka swapped.  Owen has been Mr Nobody when he's dropped back to help in midfield, yet Viduka's whole game these days is about getting possession, holding the ball for a bit and then feeding players making forward movement.  So I'd put Viduka in that central forward role to act as a target man, to get the ball, hold it at his feet, allow Martins and Owen to make runs in to the box, and then passing it to Owen's or Martin's feet.

So this for me:

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Viduka

Martins  Owen

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Owen

Martins   Viduka

This

I would say the same formation, with one exception.  I think the formation should have Owen and Viduka swapped.  Owen has been Mr Nobody when he's dropped back to help in midfield, yet Viduka's whole game these days is about getting possession, holding the ball for a bit and then feeding players making forward movement.  So I'd put Viduka in that central forward role to act as a target man, to get the ball, hold it at his feet, allow Martins and Owen to make runs in to the box, and then passing it to Owen's or Martin's feet.

So this for me:

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Viduka

Martins   Owen

On paper that is a top 10 team easily.

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Owen

Martins   Viduka

This

So this for me:

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Viduka

Martins   Owen

:dowie:

Only time Owen has looked in any way useful for us the last couple of years is in the hole, it's clearly the place for him. Putting Viduka there and asking him to run around and link the play could land Shearer in jail, I doubt Viduka would manage 45 minutes without dying of exhaustion.

Owen in the hole, Viduka up front is the only way to go.

I'd swap Barton and Guthrie too. Joey has a far better engine to get up and down the field, whereas Guthrie's best asset is his distribution.

If Barton isn't able to go then maybe Smith.

Doubtless it'll be Butt and Nolan that start though. :(

Guest toonlass

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Owen

Martins   Viduka

This

So this for me:

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Viduka

Martins   Owen

Only time Owen has looked in any way useful for us the last couple of years is in a hole, it's clearly the place for him.

FYP  :iamatwat:

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Owen

Martins   Viduka

This

So this for me:

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Viduka

Martins   Owen

On paper that is a top 10 team easily.

;D ;D ;D, ffs

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Owen

Martins   Viduka

This

So this for me:

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Viduka

Martins   Owen

Only time Owen has looked in any way useful for us the last couple of years is in a hole, it's clearly the place for him.

Guest toonlass

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Owen

Martins   Viduka

This

So this for me:

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Viduka

Martins   Owen

Ahhh lighten up man

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Owen

Martins   Viduka

This

So this for me:

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Viduka

Martins   Owen

Ahhh lighten up man

http://i40.tinypic.com/205qerk.gif

Our main problem v spurs was lack of width.

If we're going to play 4-3-3 or 3-5-2 or whatever.

The fullbacks have to push up more.....we cant have 3 really tight in central midfield...any half decent side will expose that easily.

Guest toonlass

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Owen

Martins   Viduka

This

So this for me:

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Viduka

Martins   Owen

Ahhh lighten up man

http://i40.tinypic.com/205qerk.gif

:mackems:

Harper

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Owen

Martins   Viduka

This

yep.

cant see him dropping butt and nolan though.

aye if we don't get anything against portsmouth we may as well prepare for life in the championship. I can't honestly see where we will get a win from as long as nolan and butt are in centre midfield slow as fuck and give the ball away straight away

Christ its like we've gone back in a time warp and its 1992 all over again, lets hope we'll have a new David Kelly after the game!!

my team would be

harper

beye  colocini bassong enrique

barton  smith    jonas

martins  viduka  owen

I know people have slated colo recently but our defence has been at its best with those 4 in it,  Smith will do Butt's job better than Butt for the simple fact he can pass the ball 10 yards!  Hopefully Barton will be back to give us some drive/creativity from the middle of the park, Jonas can hopefully produce something for once and the front 3 will fire for once......not too much to ask surely??