Newcastle United vs. Portsmouth-Monday 27th April 8pm *Setanta 1* Pre-match

joeyt

Harper

Beye Colocinni Bassong Enrique

Guthrie  Barton  Jonas

Owen

Martins   Viduka

If everyone's fit then this has to be the line-up.

I'd be tempted to play Owen in a much deeper role, almost as a midfielder since he can pass the ball extremely well and he does work hard when he gets the ball.

What was the situation going into the David Kelly game? Were we points adrift like now?

We'd lost 5 on the trot and were in a relegation place with 2 games left. The game was heading for a draw when Kelly hit a belter into the Gallowgate goal with time running out. That took us to 49 points and results on the final day meant that we stayed up (regardless of our last result) as 48 points went down. As it happens we won at Leicester which was a game in itself after blowing a lead and then getting the winner almost on the final whistle. We already knew by the time the winner went in that we were safe due to other results.

The Pompey game was do or die and we very nearly died. Had we not won that it would have been unlikely that we would have beaten Leicester and we would have gone.

What was the situation going into the David Kelly game? Were we points adrift like now?

We'd lost 5 on the trot and were in a relegation place with 2 games left. The game was heading for a draw when Kelly hit a belter into the Gallowgate goal with time running out. That took us to 49 points and results on the final day meant that we stayed up (regardless of our last result) as 48 points went down. As it happens we won at Leicester which was a game in itself after blowing a lead and then getting the winner almost on the final whistle. We already knew by the time the winner went in that we were safe due to other results.

The Pompey game was do or die and we very nearly died. Had we not won that it would have been unlikely that we would have beaten Leicester and we would have gone.

Those 5 defeats on the spin followed a 1-0 win against the mackems(kelly scored that one as well),  those last 3 games of that season are probably 3 of my top 5 all time games ever,  the 4-1 defeat away to Derby was one of the most unbelievable atmospheres i've encountered,  think the kick off had already been delayed due to a bomb scare(could've been the following season tho) and inside 2 mins we were down to 10 men and 1 nil down,  lost another player and Terry mac sent off the bench,  Kelly and Gavin Peacock then produced 2 displays that would put the current team to shame as they ran themselves into the ground as our fans got louder and louder as the match and Derby's goals went in.....a case of well if we're going down, we'll go down in style,  although was lairy as well as seats were ripped out and thrown!!

Then came the famous Portsmouth home game,  defeat would have virtually sealed our relegation to the 3rd division and possible extintion,  according to Sir John Hall we would've went under as the Halls/Shepherd and Keegan would've went.  What we got was a capacity crowd of just under 26000 and the best atmosphere i've known at SJP,  think Barcelona and the ManU 5-0 added together and still probably doesn't do it justice,  the pictures of the Gallowgate going nuts when Kelly scores are fantastic.

Then off we went still not certain of staying up,  luckily results went our way but we won anyway, just!  Peacock opened the scoring,  they equalised in the 90th minute causing a pitch invasion by 1000's of Leicester fans, think a draw took them up,  once the pitch was cleared,  they didn't get the fans back in the stands, they stood on the side of the pitch!!  But one long punt from Tommy Wright was missed by there centre half and Peacock was thru again and poked the ball past the keeper into the net, still when i watch it i think one of there fans standing on the line is going to run on and kick it clear!!  Then it went ballistic, there fans stormed the pitch again,  we went crackers, some of our lot invaded the pitch wanting to fight them, odds of 500-1!! Kelly had to dive into our end for his own safety and it was like world war 3 outside the ground!!!  Then again it was pretty wild inside Filbert st,  we were penned in the corner, get seats, coins and alsorts thrown at us, think a Newcastle fan actually got blinded in one eye after been hit by a missile, as well as been attacked from all sides we also got battered by the Leicester riot police if we tried to get away from the missiles!!!!

Those 5 defeats on the spin followed a 1-0 win against the mackems(kelly scored that one as well),  those last 3 games of that season are probably 3 of my top 5 all time games ever,  the 4-1 defeat away to Derby was one of the most unbelievable atmospheres i've encountered,  think the kick off had already been delayed due to a bomb scare(could've been the following season tho) and inside 2 mins we were down to 10 men and 1 nil down,  lost another player and Terry mac sent off the bench,  Kelly and Gavin Peacock then produced 2 displays that would put the current team to shame as they ran themselves into the ground as our fans got louder and louder as the match and Derby's goals went in.....a case of well if we're going down, we'll go down in style,  although was lairy as well as seats were ripped out and thrown!!

Then came the famous Portsmouth home game,  defeat would have virtually sealed our relegation to the 3rd division and possible extintion,  according to Sir John Hall we would've went under as the Halls/Shepherd and Keegan would've went.  What we got was a capacity crowd of just under 26000 and the best atmosphere i've known at SJP,  think Barcelona and the ManU 5-0 added together and still probably doesn't do it justice,  the pictures of the Gallowgate going nuts when Kelly scores are fantastic.

Then off we went still not certain of staying up,  luckily results went our way but we won anyway, just!  Peacock opened the scoring,  they equalised in the 90th minute causing a pitch invasion by 1000's of Leicester fans, think a draw took them up,  once the pitch was cleared,  they didn't get the fans back in the stands, they stood on the side of the pitch!!  But one long punt from Tommy Wright was missed by there centre half and Peacock was thru again and poked the ball past the keeper into the net, still when i watch it i think one of there fans standing on the line is going to run on and kick it clear!!  Then it went ballistic, there fans stormed the pitch again,  we went crackers, some of our lot invaded the pitch wanting to fight them, odds of 500-1!! Kelly had to dive into our end for his own safety and it was like world war 3 outside the ground!!!  Then again it was pretty wild inside Filbert st,  we were penned in the corner, get seats, coins and alsorts thrown at us, think a Newcastle fan actually got blinded in one eye after been hit by a missile, as well as been attacked from all sides we also got battered by the Leicester riot police if we tried to get away from the missiles!!!!

Cheers, never thought we'd be going down that road again, but here we are...I wonder if there's a Ned Kelly among the current lot? Mind both Kelly and Peacock were better athletes than some in our current team

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/nechronical/jun2008/5/5/5D67DAC0-CCD2-C388-A91960C27577DB42.jpg

Enrique and Barton to face Portsmouth

Apr 21 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journa

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/04/21/enrique-and-barton-to-face-portsmouth-61634-23430403/

I think after seeing our shambles of a team fail to respond to his efforts, Shearer is going to play his better players whether they are match fit or not. I don't blame him, Mark Viduka even overweight was so much better than the majority of his team mates on Sunday it was embarassing.

Enrique and Barton to face Portsmouth

Apr 21 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journa

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/04/21/enrique-and-barton-to-face-portsmouth-61634-23430403/

I think after seeing our shambles of a team fail to respond to his efforts, Shearer is going to play his better players whether they are match fit or not. I don't blame him, Mark Viduka even overweight was so much better than the majority of his team mates on Sunday it was embarassing.

right!  i'd totally forgotten the lazy class viduka has man, he should have been a legend that bloke the stupid fat bastard...what a player though

Shearer gets personal as Newcastle plan escape route against Portsmouth

By COLIN YOUNG

Gutierrez

It's good to talk: Gutierrez (left) insists Shearer has been getting his message across to the players

Newcastle boss Alan Shearer has been holding one-on-ones with his under-achieving stars in the latest bid to get them out of the bottom three.

Shearer and his players now face a crucial home meeting with Portsmouth and they need three points in the Monday night showdown at St James' Park to stand any chance of survival.

Recalled midfielder Jonas Gutierrez, who was handed a key role in a new-look side at Tottenham on Sunday, revealed Shearer has been spending his time geeing up his players ahead of the clash.

And the Argentina international admitted Pompey's visit is a must-win game for Newcastle who are now second bottom and four points from safety after the 1-0 defeat at White Hart Lane.

Gutierrez said: 'The manager tries to work with all the players and tells everyone to be positive and to think that we can do this.

'That is very important for us. We have to believe like this for the next five games until the end of the season.

'The boss is talking to us and wants to make us better players. The team tries its best in every game. We have to think about the next game now, we have to keep the belief.

'We have to believe in ourselves and the team. If we don't then it is impossible for us to do what we need to.

On the mend: Barton's recovery is good news for Magpies boss Shearer (right)

'We have three home games and they are very important. We need to win next week against Portsmouth.

'We need all the three points because we are in a very difficult situation and we want to leave this league position behind.

'The final matches for us are going to be very difficult. No team is going to make it easy for us but all we can think about is the next match, nothing else, because we have to win this game.'

Shearer is hoping to have Joey Barton in full training by the end of this week and ready for the Portsmouth game.

The midfielder stepped up his training yesterday (Monday) aiming to overcome a metatarsal injury.

Shearer said: 'Joey did a little bit of training on Monday and we hope he will be fully training by Thursday or Friday and if everything goes well then we might have him available for Portsmouth.'

The bad news is that left back Jose Enrique should also have recovered from the knee injury which has ruled him out of the last two games.

what bad about our only left back being fit? i do not thing he is a bad player

Tbh i'd consider dropping Owen and get Colo back in. My team would depend on the fitness of Barton and Enrique but if they're fit.

Harper

Beye  Bassng  Colo  Enrique

Guthrie  Smith  Barton

Jonas

Martins        Viduka   

If Jose is still out stick Duff LB, and if Barton's out get Jonas in his position and put Owen behind Oba and Duke.

The only worry about him 'geeing' up the players is that it looks like we won't see anyone being dropped...

Hope I'm wrong.

How they can say Enrique being fit is bad is a bit strange, probably a mistake. I love the guy, one of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

Here's Portmouth's team from Saturday

James

Kaboul Campbell, Distin, Hreidarsson,

Johnson, Davis, Mullins, Kranjcar

Nugent Crouch.

I'm worried that our CBs won't be able to handle Crouch

We should dominate midfield if we've got Barton, Jonas, Guthrie and even Smith in there.

Don't forget that they play Man U on Wednesday - hope they get knackered or get a crucial injury.

Here's Portmouth's team from Saturday

James

Kaboul Campbell, Distin, Hreidarsson,

Johnson, Davis, Mullins, Kranjcar

Nugent Crouch.

I'm worried that our CBs won't be able to handle Crouch

We should dominate midfield if we've got Barton, Jonas, Guthrie and even Smith in there.

Don't forget that they play Man U on Wednesday - hope they get knackered or get a crucial injury!!

He like Owen needs good support, and with Krancjar out i can't see them threatening tbh.

He like Owen needs good support, and with Krancjar out i can't see them threatening tbh.

Owen needs a decent ball threaded through.  With Crouch, you just lump the ball in his direction and he'll win easily.  It's the second ball that we need to worry about.

Guest battyleespeed

Steven Taylor up front and in midfield? f***ing hell. :lol:

May aswell give him a chance in goal too whilst we're at it. Good with his hands and likes diving around theatrically. :thup:

Used to play up front before he was converted to a defender.

Seriously, he is everything what Owen is not (big, quick and aggressive) and he has more fight in him than what Viduka, Ameobi and Owen have put together (especially for this game). He's scored some good goals and would for put their defense under pressure simply because the way he plays.

I'd play him just to have them something to worry about physically and not to let them play from the back.

Harper

Beye Taylor Bassong Enrique

Guthrie Smith/BARTON Jonas

Owen

Viduka Martins

And I think we'd win.

Agree, although Barton for Smith for me (if fit).

We simply cannot afford to field Butt, Nolan, Raylor, Shola again all season.  If Colo gets dropped for a few mistakes, Butt should have been sacked three years ago.