Just a brief opinion on our season...

Heron

First game of the season, away at Manchester United - everyone ruled it out as 0 points for us from our first game - yet we came away with an unexpected point in a well fought game. The optimism continued for a few games and the football looked decent although we struggled to pick up consecutive wins. Our signings looked fairly decent and everyone appeared to be happy despite limited funds being made available.

Then...

Keegan gets f***ed around by the board members, they go behind his back signing players who he normally wouldn't have (?) and Keegan spits his dummy out - Which was the snowflake thats now caused an avalanche.

Now, not to get in to a debate about who was at fault i.e. the board/Keegan/The fans/etc, but just to discuss the emotions and performances from there onwards:

What enthusiasm was there had been stripped from everyone involved at the club. A massive debate split the "faithful" support of Newcastle United and opinions strongly divided various sections of our support. The problem slowly faded into the background as we began to pick up draw after draw and struggled to pick up wins especially at home..where fans have become increasingly frustrated.

Newcastle as a result were no longer United, and 8 games from the end of the season we finally as a club put a plug in our quarter-full bathtub of hope, we brought in Alan Shearer. Hope was restored in many, us being football fans we do suffer from a degree of fickleness. But on the other hand 3 games later 90% of us appear to have resigned to relegation.

My point in this being, if you look at the remaining fixtures for the bottom 5 or 6, we are far from down yet, our games against Portsmouth and Middlesbrough could well seal our fate however.

How many of us expected anything today? I bet there were only a few who 'expected' but we all 'hoped'. There are 5 games left this season 2 against the top 5. As ridiculous as it sounds should we really be writing these games off? We beat Aston Villa at SJP, we drew with Man United away, we pushed Arsenal and Man United at home for a good hour or so and we drew with Chelsea away. I know we have taken our beatings off them too, but to write off any game this season is foolish.

This same attitude of resignation to defeat is what has got us into the problem we are in, in my opinion.

I'm actually going to check the "Relegationometer" thread to see when that started because I have a feeling it was around December time. Which shows just how ridiculous we as a club have become this season. How many clubs in the bottom 8 or 9 thought they were down at January? I bet not many and I bet alot of them still don't believe they are down.

Alot of it is down to the self fulfilling prophecy in my opinion - if you believe your going down you will go down, if you believe you can do it and avoid relegation you will, and I believe our biggest downfall more than anything else this season has been a flaw in the psychological aspects of absolutely everyone connected with the club. The only way we can redeem ourselves and possibly survive now is if we as supporters back them at home and constantly encourage instead of getting on their backs. 9 Points WOULD keep us up I don't care what anyone says and I personally believe we will get at least 7 - if we just BELIEVE we can do it.

So a rather typical post by your resident Toon Ultra but this time I mean it more then ever - Bring Back The Noise! Get behind the lads! and lets get ourselves out this shithole called the relegation zone!!

EDIT: Just for the record it was November 30th when we began discussing relegation -  :idiot2: :cheesy: :-[ :angry:

Guest Mantis

My opinion of this season is we may as well not have bothered, just like most of the players haven't.  More importantly, can we have names of players who have actually earned their priveleged wages this season?

Guest Stephen927

My opinion of this season is we may as well not have bothered, just like most of the players haven't.  More importantly, can we have names of players who have actually earned their priveleged wages this season?

Nile Ranger

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/6401703g69.gif

Nile Ranger

Jonas and Bassong but they both are on a much lower wages than our so called experienced key players a la Butt, Duff, Owen, Geremi, Nolan and the list goes on...

Thinking back to that Man Utd match, I remember laughing to my dad after the match. We were going on about what a great result it was, and how we'd have a good season now, and, as a joke, I said, "Nah, look what happened to Reading last season after they got a draw at Old Trafford first game".

Didn't f*cking think we'd really end up in the same predicament.

After the Man U game, followed by a home win against Bolton and an exciting cup tie at Coventry i thought the good times were back and we'd finish top 8.

Then there was the whole KK saga, and what could have been a win against Hull which i think would have took us into the top 4, was a defeat and we all know what followed.

Xisco was a cracking signing mind, glad we got rid of KK to bring him in.

an exciting cup tie at Coventry

Fucking hell that was this season ?   :yikes:

Feels like a lifetime ago

These cunts down here are masturbating furiously at my discontent...

People are pricks man. Thankfully I don't mingle amongst too many arseholes like that. The lads I was watching the game with today are Boro (wanted us to lose but wasn't an arsehole about it), Sheff Utd (supported us all the way and has a general soft-spot for the Toon anyway) and Man Utd (who isn't too fussed, but who I think wants us to stay up).

The others I knock about with are Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. but again never really have anything but sympathy with what we're going through. Saying that, I suppose a lot of that is down to the fact that they're canny lads and when their teams are struggling I don't dish it out to them either.

Fucking hell that was this season ?   :yikes:

These cunts down here are masturbating furiously at my discontent...

People are pricks man. Thankfully I don't mingle amongst too many arseholes like that. The lads I was watching the game with today are Boro (wanted us to lose but wasn't an arsehole about it), Sheff Utd (supported us all the way and has a general soft-spot for the Toon anyway) and Man Utd (who isn't too fussed, but who I think wants us to stay up).

The others I knock about with are Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. but again never really have anything but sympathy with what we're going through. Saying that, I suppose a lot of that is down to the fact that they're canny lads and when their teams are struggling I don't dish it out to them either.

I don't take the piss out of anyone's team..but Coventry fans are that sad and pathetic,any chance they get to kick someone when they are down,and they are in quicker than Gary Glitter into a creche.

f***ing hell that was this season ?   :yikes:

These c***s down here are masturbating furiously at my discontent...

I don't take the piss out of anyone's team..but Coventry fans are that sad and pathetic,any chance they get to kick someone when they are down,and they are in quicker than Gary Glitter into a creche.

:boomboom:

Ah so they're Coventry fans rather than glory-hunters? What the fuck have Coventry got to shout about, exactly? Cunts.

Hence my original post...BTW...have you been to Japan recently Rich?

No. Why?

(Where the fuck is this going...? :lol:)

Guest optimistic nit

Ah so they're Coventry fans rather than glory-hunters? What the fuck have Coventry got to shout about, exactly? Cunts.

Hence my original post...BTW...have you been to Japan recently Rich?

No. Why?

(Where the fuck is this going...? :lol:)

Japan?