broadcasting matches online if we go down

oldtype

Is anyone on here in contact with somebody who gets to go to the supporter's panel meetings? If so, would they be willing to get that person to pass on word to the club about the possibility of broadcasting our matches online for the benefit of foreign supporters if we're playing in the Championship next year?

If we go down most of us overseas will no longer have any way of watching the matches, and I assume not being in the Premiership would clear up a lot of the messy TV rights issue that stops them from doing this right now.

It benefits the club short term in that a ton of overseas supporters would be willing to shell out a couple hundred a year for such a service, and also long term as if we're ever to be a "big club :rolleyes:" again, keeping foreign fans interested while we languish in the Championship will be important.

Should there be any legal issues (I'm not sure how TV rights work for the Football League,) surely they could be worked around by limiting access to countries where there are no conflicts of interest?

In any case, I think this is an extremely important issue for a lot of people on here, so I would appreciate it if someone could help us get it communicated to the club.

I think you'll find that many of our matches will be boradcast by the same illegal outfits next season. I often see these outfits strreaming the big clubs in the lower leagues like Birmingham, Wolves, Zarazoga, Lens, etc. We'll be on Setanta or ESPN 360 (You're in the US, no?) alot as well.

Tbf if we go down we'll easily be the most high profile team down there, I imagine we'd get on TV a hell of a lot more than we do now.

EDIT: Please note I'm not in any way suggesting that relegation would be a positive thing for the club.

I think you'll find that many of our matches will be boradcast by the same illegal outfits next season. I often see these outfits strreaming the big clubs in the lower leagues like Birmingham, Wolves, Zarazoga, Lens, etc. We'll be on Setanta or ESPN 360 (You're in the US, no?) alot as well.

Who?  :kinnear:

Guest GAMMELL

F*cking superb coverage on Big League Weekend on Sky Sports every Monday evening. An amazing 30 second round-up of NUFC game the saturday afteroon gone, IF WE GO DOWN!!!!  :kinnear:

Real Zaragoza. Enough with your foolish pedantry!

Were Leeds televised alot when they first went down?

How in the fuck are things any different if we go down? There are still broadcasting rights and contracts, and they're still paid for, ergo internet streaming will still be illegal.

There's no way on earth NUFC would pump hundreds of thousands of pounds into buying their own broadcasting rights separate from the rest of the Football League.

Next.

Real Zaragoza. Enough with your foolish pedantry!

:razz:

How in the f*** are things any different if we go down? There are still broadcasting rights and contracts, and they're still paid for, ergo internet streaming will still be illegal.

There's no way on earth NUFC would pump hundreds of thousands of pounds into buying their own broadcasting rights separate from the rest of the Football League.

Next.

Because those broadcasting rights may cost a mere fraction of what they would in the Premiership, and may therefore make an online streaming service economically feasible?

No club with the overseas following the size of NUFC's has ever gone down, so there's no precedent for this. IMO it's more than worth investigating whether this would be a worthwhile endeavor.

How in the f*** are things any different if we go down? There are still broadcasting rights and contracts, and they're still paid for, ergo internet streaming will still be illegal.

Next.

Because those broadcasting rights may cost a mere fraction of what they would in the Premiership, and may therefore make an online streaming service economically feasible?

No club with the overseas following the size of NUFC's has ever gone down, so there's no precedent for this. IMO it's more than worth investigating whether this would be a worthwhile endeavor.

to be fair many would say leeds were as big and clubs controlling their own TV rights will come eventually.

Next.

to be fair many would say leeds were as big.

The Premiership's popularity overseas was nowhere near where it was right now when Leeds went down though. Plus, Leeds were never a particularly well-supported club outside of the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7080696.stm

The new agreements are worth £88m per season to Football League clubs and encompass terrestrial and pay television, broadband internet, video-on-demand and mobile services.

A fraction of the Premier League deal doesn't equal cheap.

It's an absolutely ludicrous suggestion, sorry.

I'm sure it's not as simple as "if the club wants to show matches it has to pay 88 million pounds." We'd be negotiating a deal for NUFC matches only, and for transmission limited to outside the United Kingdom and any other areas where the Football League sells broadcasting rights.

Again, I'm not a lawyer. I don't know exactly how this works. Neither do you. It seems worth it to ask people who do to look it over.

Next.

The Premiership's popularity overseas was nowhere near where it was right now when Leeds went down though. Plus, Leeds were never a particularly well-supported club outside of the UK.

but if a club was to sell their individual rights ther biggest (by far) market would be the local one.

Next.

but if a club was to sell their individual rights ther biggest (by far) market would be the local one.

The idea is that the club might be able to negotiate a economically feasible deal for broadcasting rights without stepping on the BBC's toes if it was for transmission outside of the UK only.

I mean, what country outside of the UK does the Football League even sell rights to? There's probably pretty near 0 demand for any non-Premiership club's matches overseas other than NUFC's. Surely there's an economic niche that we can work with here.

Is anyone on here in contact with somebody who gets to go to the supporter's panel meetings? If so, would they be willing to get that person to pass on word to the club about the possibility of broadcasting our matches online for the benefit of foreign supporters if we're playing in the Championship next year?

If we go down most of us overseas will no longer have any way of watching the matches, and I assume not being in the Premiership would clear up a lot of the messy TV rights issue that stops them from doing this right now.

It benefits the club short term in that a ton of overseas supporters would be willing to shell out a couple hundred a year for such a service, and also long term as if we're ever to be a "big club :rolleyes:" again, keeping foreign fans interested while we languish in the Championship will be important.

Should there be any legal issues (I'm not sure how TV rights work for the Football League,) surely they could be worked around by limiting access to countries where there are no conflicts of interest?

In any case, I think this is an extremely important issue for a lot of people on here, so I would appreciate it if someone could help us get it communicated to the club.

Is this a fucking joke?