3-5-2

Guest michaelfoster

Guest michaelfoster

Never going to work with our squad, when we are under attack a back 3 becomes a back 5, and with Nicky Butt playing as the defensive minded midfielder of the 3, we end up only having 4 players able to get forward

GK

CB         CB          CB

RWB                                           LWB

MC MC MC

ST     ST

I think our best shout is 4-3-1-2 because we are nowhere near good enough to play 3 in defence, when everyone is fit *coughs* this would be my idea team.

Harper

Beye            Coloccini            Taylor           Enrique

Jonas       Barton      Guthrie

Owen

Viduka    Martins

how many times this season have we have. beye,bassong, enrique, jonas, barton, guthrie,owen,viduka, martins all fit at the same time? i cnt rememer one game where we were able to field all those players in the same team. because argueable they are all 1st choice but never fit at the same time. so fingers crossed we have them available for the 3 home games.

Guest michaelfoster

4-3-1-2? Hey, that's like a 4-3-3 isn't it?

No its like 4-3-1-2 :p

Owen's pretty shit up front these days tbf and he plays better behind the 2 strikers (ala Keegan) so maybe him playing there will benefit us because he couldnt score in a brothel atm

4-3-1-2? Hey, that's like a 4-3-3 isn't it?

No its like 4-3-1-2 :p

Owen's pretty s*** up front these days tbf and he plays better behind the 2 strikers (ala Keegan) so maybe him playing there will benefit us because he couldnt score in a brothel atm

You mean the Keegan 4-3-3? Gotcha.

I'm sorry, but Keegan does not own a formation ffs. Especially when he's only used it like 6 times in his entire career.

But yeah, as the man figured out last year, we have 3 real good strikers who are probaly all better than our midfielders. So 4-3-3 it is. Use our talent.

Guest optimistic nit

Never going to work with our squad, when we are under attack a back 3 becomes a back 5, and with Nicky Butt playing as the defensive minded midfielder of the 3, we end up only having 4 players able to get forward

GK

CB         CB          CB

RWB                                           LWB

MC MC MC

ST     ST

I think our best shout is 4-3-1-2 because we are nowhere near good enough to play 3 in defence, when everyone is fit *coughs* this would be my idea team.

Harper

Beye            Coloccini            Taylor           Enrique

Jonas       Barton      Guthrie

Owen

Viduka    Martins

Bassong?

To be honest i think it looks more like a 2-3-2-1-2 formation... or a attacking 5-3-2 if you like :D

GK

CB                                          CB 

RB                                                DM                                          LB

CM                                    CM

ACM/ST

ST                                                            ST

From what i could see, we always had one attacking fullback, wich works best with the 4-3-3 system, but is adequate with the 5-3-2 as well.

I think shearer is trying to protect our goalie by having a lot of people back, and then pushing on the counter attack (usually producing a corner where we can move more people up and snatch the winner)

Problem is, the system fails miserably since we dont have players for that system... or 4-3-3... (we might at 4-3-3 if EVERYONE is match fit)

To be honest i think it looks more like a 2-3-2-1-2 formation... or a attacking 5-3-2 if you like :D

GK

CB                                           CB 

RB                                                DM                                           LB

CM                                    CM

ACM/ST

ST                                                            ST

From what i could see, we always had one attacking fullback, wich works best with the 4-3-3 system, but is adequate with the 5-3-2 as well.

I think shearer is trying to protect our goalie by having a lot of people back, and then pushing on the counter attack (usually producing a corner where we can move more people up and snatch the winner)

Problem is, the system fails miserably since we dont have players for that system or 4-3-3... (we might at 4-3-3 if EVERYONE is match fit)

Yep, we should have though. Duff & Taylor on the wings should both have been capable of getting foward, they simply didnt want to. Lack of confidence or confusion who knows, but they left massive gaps on each side in midfield which spurs exploited.

I think in general the players have to be more confident in attacking with the ball, we're far to happy to loop a crap ball in...lose it...& run around after it. Only to repeat. Its as if they dont expect to do anything with the ball..so they want to be prepared for the oppositions attack by not even having to run back into position. So they dont go foward.

Three at the back is so rarely used by anyone now, whether here or on the continent. It seems to me that it has to be used as an attacking formation, because if it ends up as a 5-3-2 the midfield just ends up getting overrun. We just aren't good enough or confident enough to make it work at the moment.

The only team I've ever seen make wing backs work was Brazil around the turn of the century.

They did have possibly the two best players ever suited to the wing-back position of course, Cafu and Roberto Carlos. We have Ryan Taylor and Damien Duff.

Enrique or not next Monday it'd be absolute lunacy to try this fucking bullshit formation again. We've looked absolutely and completely useless every second we've been in this system the last two games.

It was only when we abandoned it against Stoke and let Duff play much further up field that we started to look in any way threatening and got our goal. The moment we reverted to it after the goal it handed Stoke the initiative and they naturally finished the game looking the more likely winners. Can't believe Shearer claimed it actually worked against them, we were useless.

Same against Spurs for most of the first half, again the minute we abandoned it we improved immediately.

If Enrique doesn't make it next Monday, play Duff or Bassong at LB. I can only hope that Shearer has gotten it out of his system and is going to go with a formation that makes some sense. If he hasn't, I don't see us getting a win next Monday.

Guest rinaldo #18

Imo the starting 11 should be:

Harper

Beye-Bassong Edgar-Enrique

Guthrie-Smith-Barton

--------Jonás

Martins-Viduka/Carroll