The Naively Positive Thread!

Beren

Okay, so Newcastle avoid relegation - the full-time manager has cash to splash in the summer - what's the priority position for you?

Also, realistically speaking [yes, realism has a place in this thread  O0], of those who can be sold, who do you get rid of first?

It's difficult to say. Central midfield and fullback areas are the priority but with Owen and Viduka definitely leaving, Martins potentially being sold and Smith and Ameobi not being anywhere near good enough, we need striking options too. Coloccini may be moved on so we need central defensive cover, and our wingers are dogshit really.

We're in the position where relegation or a shitload of cash are needed to turn around this mostly awful squad.

It's difficult to say. Central midfield and fullback areas are the priority but with Owen and Viduka definitely leaving, Martins potentially being sold and Smith and Ameobi not being anywhere near good enough, we need striking options too. Coloccini may be moved on so we need central defensive cover, and our wingers are dogshit really.

We're in the position where relegation or a shitload of cash are needed to turn around this mostly awful squad.

Staying up could well be putting off the inevitable...

Guest optimistic nit

i'm happy with beye, colo, bassong and enrique as a back 4. taylor is good backup and edgar seems to be improving, taylor is gash though.

i'm content with guthrie and barton being in the starting XI although not in the same starting XI unless we can get them to create more, but we'll need 1 more midfielder anyway so it may as well be one for the starting XI (we really need 2 but with butt and nolan being on contracts worth a lot more than they are we'll be restricted to one, and thats only if they realise that's the priority position which i'm not sure they will, given the last 5 seasons of shitness. smith may be good enough for a squad role if we cant shift him, he did alright yesterday, he could pass a ball to another player and that alone puts him above half our midfield (if he was on 20K a week i'd be tempted to hold on tbh, but he's not)

i'm content with harper, and with the work that is needed we cant afford to go out buying another keeper, hopefully krul is good enough to be starting games by christmas though.

jonas is good, we could do with a right winger, although duff, jonas and kazenga may have to be good enough considering that owen will definately and rightly go (wouldn't offer him half his current deal atm, we cant afford players like that), martins will probably off and viduka will probably go as well meaning we'll need 2 strikers at least. not sure what will happen to lovenkrands.

we could do with 2 more fullbacks, 1 more cb, 2 wingers,1 more cm and 1 more striker in addition to the 1cm and 2 strikers that are imperitive if we are to finish outside the bottom 3 next year, should we stay up, i dont know how much of that we'll be able to achieve.

It's difficult to say. Central midfield and fullback areas are the priority

Huh?  With Beye and Enrique full backs are basically our strongest position.

We need..

Keeper

Centre Back

Right Winger

Centre Midfielder (Creative pls)

At least 1 Striker

It's difficult to say. Central midfield and fullback areas are the priority

Huh?  With Beye and Enrique full backs are basically our strongest position.

We need..

Keeper

Centre Back

Right Winger

Centre Midfielder (Creative pls)

At least 1 Striker

Yes and when Enrique gets injured we have... Duff?

The main areas I'd focus on are:

1 centre back instead of Colicinni

1 DM midfielder who can tackle and do the simple thing and pass 5 yards

1 AM midfielder who can pick out forward runs or run with the ball

1 RW midfielder since we've absolute sod all there

1 or 2 strikers depending on whether Owen leaves (that'll be 2 strikers then)

I know we need players in other positions but to me these are the most glaringly obvious, in other positions we just need cover i think.

If Enrique gets injured, then yeah, we have Duff.

Duff has been an adequate left back when he's had to play there.

It's the naively positive thread, not the naively optimistic thread. Enrique is injured, and will be injured again. We have no adequate cover for left back. That's the reason why we have to play 3 CBs and a formation that doesn't work.

Personally, I have no faith in us avoiding relegation and keeping Enrique, so we'll need a new left back regardless.

In midfield we're in dire need of anyone who can run a bit and has a bit of enthusiasm. We need to decide where Jonas is going to play and buy a proper wide man for the opposite side. CM is also a priority, along with cover for the fullbacks. I think Oba and Carroll could do a decent job up front, but another striker would be nice.

The problem is that all of our injuries hurt us twice. First we're without the players and second the club can't replace them because they're on the wage bill. Also, it is easy for the club to think, "we'll be OK when so and so is back fit".

A big priority should be buying nobody with anything less than a perfect fitness record.

A creative midfielder.

Not a runner. Not a grafter. Not someone who can 'break up opposition play'. Someone who can actually pass the ball more than 3 feet, and provide some sort of weight offensively. It's something we've been lacking badly for several years now.

Because he's had a whole 1 season of which the first half he played really well. Maybe if we just tried to get a settled back four for once it might do well ? We need support in the back for positions especially at full back areas but instead of Colicinni is wrong i would say.

I don't think we need to replace Coloccini at all, we need to put a midfield in front of him that can actually pose a challenge to the opposition.

When you're restructuring a team you don't start with the decent players, you start with the shit ones. And we have plenty of those.

In midfield we're in dire need of anyone who can run a bit and has a bit of enthusiasm. We need to decide where Jonas is going to play and buy a proper wide man for the opposite side. CM is also a priority, along with cover for the fullbacks. I think Oba and Carroll could do a decent job up front, but another striker would be nice.

The problem is that all of our injuries hurt us twice. First we're without the players and second the club can't replace them because they're on the wage bill. Also, it is easy for the club to think, "we'll be OK when so and so is back fit".

A big priority should be buying nobody with anything less than a perfect fitness record.

A bigger priority should always be don't buy anyone who isn't better than what you have got. It's not much of an ask with Nicky Butt in the team but by God we managed to buy someone worse in the transfer window. Outstanding.

I don't think we need to replace Coloccini at all, we need to put a midfield in front of him that can actually pose a challenge to the opposition.

When you're restructuring a team you don't start with the decent players, you start with the shit ones. And we have plenty of those.

i concur

who the fuck has a perfect fitness record like?

Sorry, that wasn't meant to be taken literally.

The odd small injury is OK obviously, but nobody who has any hint of being injury prone or multiple long-term injuries.

The odd small injury is OK obviously, but nobody who has any hint of being injury prone or multiple long-term injuries.

aye right enough

we need some physical specimens imo, the likes of bouba diop...have said so for years, the game is going physical (watched barca and they play with keita & toure in the middle for strength) and it comes as no surprise to me that a team full of slow, overweight, small, injury prone players like the group we've got are doing so badly

aye right enough

we need some physical specimens imo, the likes of bouba diop...have said so for years, the game is going physical (watched barca and they play with keita & toure in the middle for strength) and it comes as no surprise to me that a team full of slow, overweight, small, injury prone players like the group we've got are doing so badly

True, we're crying out for even someone like Jenas... that's how bad things are!

I know people say we need creative players rather than runners, but you can create a lot with athleticism and direct play - for that you need to have fitness greater than a 70 year old woman.

Central midfield.

THIS, do not consider a single other position until this is officially sorted. Its been screwing us for years. Our ability to defend & attack goes up far more when we finally get this sorted out.

The main areas I'd focus on are:

1 DM midfielder who can tackle and do the simple thing and pass 5 yards

1 AM midfielder who can pick out forward runs or run with the ball

1 RW midfielder since we've absolute sod all there

1 or 2 strikers depending on whether Owen leaves (that'll be 2 strikers then)

I know we need players in other positions but to me these are the most glaringly obvious, in other positions we just need cover i think.

spot on. we do need a backup left back but it shouldn't be too much of an issue or cost us that much. and who knows Kadar might be able to fill that vacancy. you are right that the other positions are priorities as they're all first-team rather than back-up positions.