FFS's should stay as Chairman

Martin Lol

Well, that's my opinion if he changes the way he operates.  Yes, he has faults, quite a few I think, but he does have some good points as well, not least of which is that he always backs his managers with money come the transfer window.  Where the money comes from and can the club actually afford the expenditure may be more questionable but the fact remains that he does provide the cash.  I don't think any true Newcastle fan would like a Doug Ellis Mk II to hold the purse strings.

The main problem with FFS in my humble opinion is that he is a dabbler.  Dabbles in this, dabbles in that, dabbles in the things that shouldn't concern him.  Like involving himself with the selection of new players, he's not qualified to do it, so why should he try.  He appoints the manager, he should back the manager's judgement and buy who the manager wants, not who he thinks the manager might like.

A case in point is Damien Duff.  His agent is Pat Devlin, Devlin's son works at SJP.  The 2 Devlins talk between themselves, Jr speaks to FFS, FFS does the deal with Dad and Roeder knew nothing about it until very late on in the day.  That's what I was told by an Irish journo who plays golf regularly with Pat Devlin in Dublin.  If that is true, and I have no reason to believe it's not, it paints a sorry picture of a Chairman buying a player the manager may not want and that the team doesn't need.  I've nothing against Duff, he's a fine player and would have been happy to seen him playing for Spurs, but is buying a player behind the manager's back any better than selling a player behind his back?  Probably worse imo as FFS is spending money that Roeder might have wanted to have spent in other areas.

In the NUFC annual accounts there is a line which says 'The approval of all player transfers is a matter specifically reserved for decision by the board'.  I'm not against that, that's the way it should be, after all, the buck stops with FFS and the board.  What he shouldn't be doing is trying to do part of the manager's job for him because whether FFS likes it or not, he is not qualified to say which player will improve the squad.  I have said in the past, as have others, about the appointment of a DoF.  Personally I am very much in favour but even though Spurs have a DoF, the final decision is still with the Directors.  There is a Football Committee who decide whether a player should be signed.  Four people, Damien Comolli, Martin Jol, Daniel Levy and the Finance Director.  If MJ and DC are agreed that a player should be signed, the committee meets up, the Finance Director says if there is the money and if there is, Levy rubberstamps the deal.  It's then for Comolli to get it completed.  If the fee and/or wages don't match the agreed levels, it's referred back to the full committee for agreement or rejection.  It seems a simple and straightforward way of doing things.

Maybe things would be a lot better if Sir John Hall spoke to FFS about his involvement in transfer dealings as I honesty think the harmoney and success that was coming under SBR could easily return.  The basic infrastructure is still there, the fanbase is too, just cut out the dabbling FFS!

Any thoughts?

He's made too many errors therefore I couldn't trust him even if he did come crawling on his hands and knees telling us he's changed. Also, he wouldn't even dream of playing the role of a normal chairman after now. He loves the fact he can run his mouth off and the media will listen, the fact he can buy who he wants and not the manager...

Oot with the cunt.

All fine and good if Fred was the kind of man that would listen and take on baord what was said to him, but do you really think after all these years he is going to change how he does thing ?

I think comment from Sir John Hall might have more effect than similar words from another person.

All fine and good if Fred was the kind of man that would listen and take on baord what was said to him, but do you really think after all these years he is going to change how he does thing ?

I think comment from Sir John Hall might have more effect than similar words from another person.

Has'nt Sir John just gave Fred his full backing ?

I don't see that Fred would listen to anyone anyway , he is much more suited to being a President of a foriegn club, where they have full control and a coach only picks the team and tacticts.

Spurs have a very professional and good setup atm. But Jol isn't good enough to win things I'm afraid. The left side still hasn't been addressed has it?

Whether MJ is good enough is debatable.  Personally, I'm happy with the progress being made and think he's up to it.  I know others don't share that view.

No left winger yet, true, but finding one with the necessary quality is easier said than done.  When one is available, I'm confident Spurs will do what they can to sign him.

You can have Duff for a bag of wine gums. I'll drive him.

Hmmm............... I sense that you're not over impressed! :lol: :lol:

And why would he be?

A complete waste of 5m was Duff, regardless of whether it's a bargain or not. We had Solano for the right, N'Zogbia for the left and Milner capable of deputising on both sides. Duff's purchase is likely to force out both N'Zogbia and Milner from the club in the long term, and all we'll be left with is Duff, running down blind alleys and generally offering less than either of them.

Meanwhile Bramble and Carr continue to get games at the back.

FREDDY'S HEAD

If schadenfreude is the malicious enjoyment of another's misfortune, then schadenfred is surely the malicious enjoyment of the many misfortunes currently being visited upon Newcastle's slimy chairman Fat Freddy Shepherd. Since the Jabba The Hutt-alike became chairman of the Magpies 10 years ago, he's consorted with fake sheikhs in Spanish knocking shops, admitted to ripping off his own fans, insulted the canine population of Newcastle by likening them to Geordie women, and plunged his club into debt while steering it from second to 19th place in the Premiership. It hasn't all been bad, though - while leading his club's plummet into the red on two fronts, Freddy's somehow managed to line his own pockets to the tune of £8.3m. Trebles all round!

Today the under-fire chairman was in defiant mood as he pitched up at St James's Park promising to sort out the latest fine mess he's got Newcastle into. "Right now it would seem I am the only one prepared to do this job and it's one I will continue to do to the very best of my ability and with the best interest of the club at heart," he way-ayed, before heading to the training ground to give his players a piece of his mind he could ill afford. "I think it's time the players are reminded just who they are playing for," he continued, hoping that the sight of an obese, angry, slug-like life-form would be enough to shake Titus Bramble, James Milner and others out of their current torpor.

Just two years ago, Fat Freddy told the Dubai Soccerex international football forum "there is no sympathy here" for teams attempting to survive outside the Premiership. It's small wonder, then, that there is no sympathy anywhere else for Newcastle's current plight. If they get relegated, the sound of raucous laughter nationwide will drown out the sound of them crashing into the Championship. But chances are, both Freddy and his football club will survive by sacking Glenn Roeder, appointing another "saviour" to much fanfare from the notoriously fickle and gullible Geordie fans, and then repeating the monotonous process once again this time next year. And the year after...

- Gruniads Fiver