The sorry state of North East football

Big Geordie

Not exactly been a good year for the likes of Sunderland and Boro - nevermind us too. Add to that, Darlington and Hartlepool struggling and it doesn't make for good reading. The North East - a hotbed of football? Probably never been further from the truth, than of recent. The only thing that us and the mackems can be proud of, is the support we enjoy in these difficult times.

We know what's wrong with our club - but what's gone wrong at Sunderland and Middlesbrough too? Poor management or players being signed for inflated fees and just not being up to it (or bothered?) Fans of all three clubs have surely got a right to question whether they have been short-changed. We all know we have - it's gone on for long enough afterall.

And what about Berwick? 9th out of 10 in Scotlands bottom league. Ha. Mind, as someone said above, I couldn't care about anyone other than Newcastle and Berwick.

Guest Donnymag

Aside from the teams struggling this season, i was just wondering how many north east born/bred players there are in the premiership at the moment?

Taylor

Carroll

Shola

Woodgate

Carrick

Any more?

Aside from the teams struggling this season, i was just wondering how many north east born/bred players there are in the premiership at the moment?

Taylor

Carroll

Shola

Woodgate

Carrick

Any more?

Leadbitter

I think it's to do with the mentality of the region, we just put up with a lot of rubbish without REALLY doing anything about it. We get served up rubbish football, yet still pack out the majority of the stadium. Where is the incentive for an owner to invest in the club when he knows the fans will turn up regardless?

Not football related but another example of the mentality is that Labour has done pretty much nothing for the region as we still come bottom of the league in most ratings and yet people will still vote Labour. Where is the incentive for Labour to truly help the region when they know they'll get voted in regardless?

Taylor

Carroll

Shola

Woodgate

Carrick

Any more?

Most of Burra's team. :lol:

Taylor

Carroll

Shola

Woodgate

Carrick

Any more?

Most of Burra's team. :lol:

chris basham at bolton

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Makes me laugh how people (the media) say Gibson is the best chairman in the Prem. :lol: If he was he would never have appointed Southgate in the first place or kept him on so long. Any chairman who goes along with this new trend of appointing freshly retired players with no managerial experience is a clueless cretin in my book.

Makes me laugh how people (the media) say Gibson is the best chairman in the Prem. :lol: If he was he would never have appointed Southgate in the first place or kept him on so long. Any chairman who goes along with this new trend of appointing freshly retired players with no managerial experience is a clueless cretin in my book.

:iamatwat: Good'un.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

:iamatwat: Good'un.

Well we were left in such a desperate position by our cretinous owner that Shearer is an actual improvement on what we had, and we would have struggled to garner any interest at all from managers who have worked in the past 15 years.

Ha, i thought you were just being facetious tbh. I agree with you though - we were left with few options and Shearer is a definite improvement on what we had, through his personality alone really. It's the appointment of caretakers/assistants that always gets me... the record of clubs doing that is absolutely pifitul, it almost never, ever, ever works. It worked with Houllier/Liverpool. But at the end of the day that was Houllier - a respected coach and it was Liverpool. Jol at Spurs you could argue, but again, he was one of Holland's best coaches.

I could sit here for ages and write down the amount of caretakers and whatnot have totally bombed. There's been three this season, alone; Kinnear, Adams, Sbragia - Pompey's new man n'all; not sure of his name.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Ha, i thought you were just being facetious tbh. I agree with you though - we were left with few options and Shearer is a definite improvement on what we had, through his personality alone really.

Why would that be facetious? These appointments of people with no experience are clearly shit and horrendously unambitious.

Ince - Fail

Keane - Fail

Southgate - Fail

Sgrabia - Fail

Etc.

*edit. I see your edit, yes I agree completely and it's rare that I agree with homosexuals.

Not exactly been a good year for the likes of Sunderland and Boro - nevermind us too. Add to that, Darlington and Hartlepool struggling and it doesn't make for good reading. The North East - a hotbed of football? Probably never been further from the truth, than of recent. The only thing that us and the mackems can be proud of, is the support we enjoy in these difficult times.

We know what's wrong with our club - but what's gone wrong at Sunderland and Middlesbrough too? Poor management or players being signed for inflated fees and just not being up to it (or bothered?) Fans of all three clubs have surely got a right to question whether they have been short-changed. We all know we have - it's gone on for long enough afterall.

People keep going on about this, (including the media) about how the north east is all of a sudden not a hotbed of football. They are misunderstanding what this term means.

It is a reference to the fans passion for the game not how well the teams are doing.  So it is just as much a hotbed now than it ever has been.

I think its a stupid term anyhow.

Sunderland? Gave millions to a slightly disturbed man who used the cash to buy players before deciding a couple of days later that, in fact, he didn't want them after all.  Far too many players, even if they did have the core of a decent side they still have too many others that they need to keep happy (or keep to contract obligations).  At some stage their financial backers are going to want to see some sort of return on their money, either through profits or trophies.

Boro? People often go on about how great a chairman they have in Steve Gibson, he's stood by his managers through good times and bad and backed the club's transfer spending with his own money.  However, Gibson's pockets aren't limitless.  He's long since reached the point where his own assets can cover additional transfer spending and with mediocre attendances at the Riverside they can't fund too many big signings.  The success of their academy side is less about bringing through genuine talent and a lot more to do with their inability to buy new players.

Ironically, he may have also been too loyal to his managers.  A lot of Boro fans had had enough of McClaren long before the England FA saw his "qualities" and nabbed him for the vacant England job.  Most of their fans think of Southgate in the way many of us think of Roeder - nice guy, probably a decent coach, but you'd not really want him in charge of the first team.  His loyalty to Bryan Robson would have seen them sink without a trace.

For Boro & Sunderland it comes down to pretty much the same thing as us - finding the right manager and giving them adequate time and financial backing to achieve success.

Darlington are in a bizarre position, they've got an enormous stadium (for a League Two side) and they can't even use it all.  If they were in the Championship or Premiership and had the restrictions on selling all their seats lifted they'd probably be financially stable.  Even nearly 5 years after he left the club are still feeling the effects of their former chairman's ambitions.

Hartlepool aren't doing brilliantly in League One but aren't doing that badly either.  Like many teams in League One they can be challenging for promotion on season & facing relegation the next.

Ha, i thought you were just being facetious tbh. I agree with you though - we were left with few options and Shearer is a definite improvement on what we had, through his personality alone really.

Why would that be facetious? These appointments of people with no experience are clearly shit and horrendously unambitious.

Ince - Fail

Keane - Fail

Southgate - Fail

Sgrabia - Fail

Etc.

*edit. I see your edit, yes I agree completely and it's rare that I agree with homosexuals.

Rubbish point really - For the names above I can see you and raise you Keegan, Zola, Hoddle (he started off good and then got worse as he got more experience!) etc.

Of course we've had the experience of Joe Kinnear this season so we should be alright.

A recently retired player who has himself been managed by a string of top managers IMHO is just as likely to have "experience" than the journeyman managers such as your Pardew's, Curbishley, Bassets, Wilkinsons's etc.

All well supported by  comparison withe rest of the leagues and in the case of the ourselves and the rabble VERY well supported - but awful owners and dreadful managers all round for far too long