Our worst ever Midfield

biggs

Have been thinking about this for a while now and this thread is probably for the older generation and that is not disrespecting our younger contributors .I started watching Newcastle in the early 70's and back then it was just about going to the match with mates and having a good afternoon out and not really expecting much but as you get older you get more critical and this is why i have made up my mind to have a look through the squads in my lifetime of watching the Toon ,so after a small amount of deliberation i have decided our current crop are the worst ever and if you older lot want to remind yourselves here is a bit of help .

http://www.toonarama.co.uk/history_nufc_players.html

Alan O'Brien, Pattison, Clark, Amady Faye....that has to go f*cking close surely. Pretty sure we had that combo at least once under Roeder.

I think Clark had the legs on both Butt and Nolan to be honest.  That's how shit the central midfield has been the last few months.

Guest firetotheworks

On paper that Roeder midfield is the worst, but in reality I think the one we have now is the least effective. Jonas notwithstanding.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Say waht you like about amady faye, but he was a physical beast the likes of which is rarely seen in the human species and his love for NUFC shined through. This physicality and spirit made him better than Butt imo.

It certainly seems to be the least creative and moct lopsided midfields we've ever had. We've got 3 decent box to box midfielders with Guthrie, Barton and Nolan, and in terms of wingers Guitierrez is capable of decent games. The rest are absolute shite, particularly Nicky Butt.

That's only two midfield positions covered.

We've been crying out for a creative midfielder for years - we haven't had one since Robert FFS!

Say waht you like about amady faye, but he was a physical beast the likes of which is rarely seen in the human species and his love for NUFC shined through. This physicality and spirit made him better than Butt imo.

I agree with you. Amdy Faye wasn't a very good footballer but he was at least fit enough to compete at this level. We have had a problem for a couple of years now with Nicky Butt, who if he was the only immobile midfielder in there you could get away with it, but if you surround him with similarly slow players you are asking to get over-run. The pairing of Butt and Nolan is as bad as I''ve seen. Nolan is probably less mobile than Butt and he has much worse technique. It's like watching a middle aged man trying to have a kick about after having a few bevvies at his local.

Guest zogonthetyne

Two games running we had a midfield pairing of Faye & Pattison, and in the one before those, it was Faye & Clark. (Sunderland A, WBA H, Birmingham A).

I don't care what anybody says, both of those combinations are worse than Butt & Nolan.

This is incorrect. Pattison was on the left wing and N'Zogbia had a spell in centre mid. Which would probably render it better than Nolan and Butt as N'zogbia's form at the time was very impressive.

Guest WashyGeordie

It certainly seems to be the least creative and moct lopsided midfields we've ever had. We've got 3 decent box to box midfielders with Guthrie, Barton and Nolan, and in terms of wingers Guitierrez is capable of decent games. The rest are absolute s****, particularly Nicky Butt.

That's only two midfield positions covered.

We've been crying out for a creative midfielder for years - we haven't had one since Robert FFS!

Solano? Emre? even N'Zogbia? ...

Who did Fumaca play alongside when he used to come on, as he by far and away the worst player ive ever seen for us. That'll probably be our worst ever midfield. Especially if it was Bassedas

Two games running we had a midfield pairing of Faye & Pattison, and in the one before those, it was Faye & Clark. (Sunderland A, WBA H, Birmingham A).

I don't care what anybody says, both of those combinations are worse than Butt & Nolan.

This is incorrect. Pattison was on the left wing and N'Zogbia had a spell in centre mid. Which would probably render it better than Nolan and Butt as N'zogbia's form at the time was very impressive.

Yep Pattison was named man of the match that game, N'Zogbia and Faye in the middle would probably run rings around Nolan and Butt. Then Solano playing right-wing.

Who did Fumaca play alongside when he used to come on, as he by far and away the worst player ive ever seen for us. That'll probably be our worst ever midfield. Especially if it was Bassedas

But they might have one or two games but the current bunch are a regular occurence  and that for me makes them the worst midfield in my memory cos its not a couple of games and while we are on its nice to have flare players like spiderman but he has hardly any end product.

We should also be asking ourselves if the midfielders aren't crap, why would we even be contemplating a 4-3-3 line up with two forwards who are blatantly unfit? Sadly the best spell of passing of the day against Spurs happened when Viduka, Martins and Owen dropped deep and knocked it about between themselves.

intrigued to see who shearer signs for CM should he stay

a top flight manager in 2009 should not even be contemplating signing a midfielder without either pace or physical presence

we lack both and don't even have quality on the ball to make up for it