Poll: Geremi under-used?

TRon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Personally I think we should have made more use of him even if it was just for 45 mins a game. He passes much better than Butt or Nolan, has far better close control and offers a genuine threat from his final delivery. Obviously he's too slow and doesn't have a great engine but do Butt or Nolan have those qualities?

If Barton is fit we should go back to the same 4-3-3 line up Keegan used last season IMO. Butt as the anchor with Geremi and Barton providing the quality passing either side.

topic worthy?

we're discussing various grades and quality of dogshit here, essentially

But we are going to have to choose one grade of dogshit and Geremi so far has been under the radar. I think it's worth discussing.

Guest toonlass

Really is scraping the bottom now like. If Geremi had a massively impressive footballing brain then his lack of pace would be compensated. However he has not got the footballing intelligence to compensate and we would be carrying another player.

Really is scraping the bottom now like. If Geremi had a massively impressive footballing brain then his lack of pace would be compensated. However he has not got the footballing intelligence to compensate and we would be carrying another player.

I think a football brain is exactly what he HAS got and what other midfielders that we have preferred are missing.

Guest toonlass

I think a football brain is exactly what he HAS got and what other midfielders that we have preferred are missing.

Really? I beg to disagree. Plus he feels that he has to take every free kick and corner and you know that he will either hit the first man or sky the ball over the bar.

He can't play in a midfield without having someone to do his running next to him. He makes Butt and Nolan look absolutely rapid, and would be a utter disaster alongside either of those two. Might be acceptable alongside Guthrie (did OK first half Stoke at home) or Barton, but when Guthrie got taken off at half-time he was awful. Awful. Might do OK again in the Keegan 433 if he was in there with Jonas and Danny G.

Really? I beg to disagree. Plus he feels that he has to take every free kick and corner and you know that he will either hit the first man or sky the ball over the bar.

Whereas Ryan Taylor and Duff are providing superb dead ball delivieries? I realise we are attempting to polish turds here but seeing as a collection of turds is all we have to choose from we probably need to look at each option carefully. If you don't like geremi as an option you can make a case for an alternative who will provide more?

Yet he has that uncanny knack of knocking in a world class cross every so often.

I also agree with everything that Big TRon is saying.

He can't play in a midfield without having someone to do his running next to him. He makes Butt and Nolan look absolutely rapid, and would be a utter disaster alongside either of those two. Might be acceptable alongside Guthrie (did OK first half Stoke at home) or Barton, but when Guthrie got taken off at half-time he was awful. Awful. Might do OK again in the Keegan 433 if he was in there with Jonas and Danny G.

I think that's a misconception. Butt and Nolan aren't any quicker and don't do any more running. Geremi might run out of gas a bit quicker (debateable) but in a 4-3-3 he wouldn't need to run as much.

I think that's a misconception. Butt and Nolan aren't any quicker and don't do any more running. Geremi might run out of gas a bit quicker (debateable) but in a 4-3-3 he wouldn't need to run as much.

He couldn't handle a full 90 in a 442, that's for sure. Might as well lob him in in a 433, he won't do any worse. Ideally it'd be Guthrie, Barton and Jonas - but working on the basis that there is no chance Butt will be dropped I'd have Guthrie and Jonas in there with him.

I'm surprised how little he gets used from the bench mind, he's got the crossing ability as Tooj says even if his set piece delivery is abysmal.

I think he was slower than ever when he appeard against Hull, constantly losing the ball due to his lack of pace. Although, we're struggling to get balls into the box at the moment, which is something he is more than capable of. I would have put him on for R.Taylor after 45 mins against Spurs...

Slower than Butt, not really bothered since almost being sold to Turkey, no legs to speak of...

...The fact that I had to think before hitting the "no" button is a testament to the quality of our midfield.

Guest toonlass

Whereas Ryan Taylor and Duff are providing superb dead ball delivieries? I realise we are attempting to polish turds here but seeing as a collection of turds is all we have to choose from we probably need to look at each option carefully. If you don't like geremi as an option you can make a case for an alternative who will provide more?

Calm down dear.

I would prefer to see our midfield line up as Jonas, Guthrie, Barton, Lovenkrands if they are all fit on monday.

Calm down dear.

I would prefer to see our midfield line up as Jonas, Guthrie, Barton, Lovenkrands if they are all fit on monday.

I'd prefer to go for 4-3-3 if we have the fit personnel up front.

Guest toonlass

Calm down dear.

I'd prefer to go for 4-3-3 if we have the fit personnel up front.

Do you think Viduka will manage 90 minutes? I would hope so, and would go with 4-3-3 if Viduka could last more than 45 mins but I am not sure he will.

i think we need mobility as much as anything from this midfield because NONE of them have the quality to build up a nice passing move to work their way up the pitch, nor the legs to get there if they did

viduka & martins played direct balls with the most mobile midfield we can muster to try and join the play

slow slow quick quick is a proven tactic, slow slow slow slow slow slow is only proven not to work

Guest toonlass

i think we need mobility as much as anything from this midfield because NONE of them have the quality to build up a nice passing move to work their way up the pitch, nor the legs to get there if they did

viduka & martins played direct balls with the most mobile midfield we can muster to try and join the play

slow slow quick quick is a proven tactic, slow slow slow slow slow slow is only proven not to work

Exactly, the lack of pace was damning on Sunday.

Butt runs quite a lot. His problem is that he's slow and lacks the energy to sprint back when he's needed in defence. Geremi has the same faults but doesn't run much at all. He's better at passing, though.

Every single one of our players has at least one outstanding ability - they all get better and better the less they play.

First it was Smith and now Geremi. Barton I can kind of understand but come on.

Geremi set up quite a few goals at the end of last season, especially for Owen.

He's just as fast as Butt and Nolan.

I can't believe anyone would be against playing him.

Stats:

5 assists last season

3 this season

Who else comes close to that?

howld on NE5, just 'cause some of us or not for playing him doesn't mean we're against playing him  ???

howld on NE5, just 'cause some of us or not for playing him doesn't mean we're against playing him   ???

Eh?  :dowie:

Stats:

5 assists last season

3 this season

Who else comes close to that?

wonder how many came after keegan took over?  we've been shite for months now man, geremi would be a disaster imo...at least butt and nolan are "match sharp" :lol: