Aston Villa v Newcastle - pre match drinking

bealios

I'm going to this and before I book my train tickets wouldn't mind knowing if there is a decent away fans boozer near the ground or whether its best to stay around Birmingham New Street etc., never been to Villa Park?

Guest BooBoo

I'm heading down on the train so should be there in decent time.  Any recommended good bars would also be greatly appreciated.

Guest WashyGeordie

There are a number of pubs in the vicinity of Villa Park, but most of them on match days are either members only or have bouncers on the door. However, Dave Cooper recommends the following for away fans; 'The Cap and Gown (formerly The Witton Arms), is not a bad pub, to which half the pub is given to away fans (there is even a separate entrance for visiting fans). It is only two minutes walk from the away entrance, right on Witton Island, however it does charge £2 per person to gain entry'.

If you arrive a bit earlier then you may wish to visit the historic Barton Arms, located about a 15 minute walk away on High Street Aston (A34). This Grade II listed building, is one of Birmingham's finest pubs, with superb Victorian decor, serving Oakham ales and Thai food is also on offer. It was awarded the Birmingham CAMRA pub of the year award for 2004. Please note that alcohol is not available in the away end.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/aston_villa/pubs.htm

They've got a map for the pubs aswell.

Been twice to Villa and never been in a decent pub yet, so will have to watch this thread carefully.

Already had to rule out the train due to the cost, so as I don't like coach trips very much I'll be very ready for a good pub once I get there.

Guest Brummiemag

A crowd of us are meeting on Broad Street (main pub area in Brum 5 minutes walk from New Street Station) at the Figure of 8 (Spoons) around 10am and probably trying various pubs on or around Broad Street. Will probably jump into taxis from there to the ground around 3pm ish.

For those coming by train or those coming down early and have the time I would recommend doing this as there is a good choice of pubs and its easy enough to get from Broad Street to the ground by taxi or local train.

The only pub near the ground is the the Cap and Gown and its a shithole, you pay to get in and theres no decent beer, although the atmosphere was good but thats only because it was full of newcastle fans. I would only head there if you dont have time to go anywhere else

Guest Heneage

A crowd of us are meeting on Broad Street (main pub area in Brum 5 minutes walk from New Street Station) at the Figure of 8 (Spoons) around 10am and probably trying various pubs on or around Broad Street. Will probably jump into taxis from there to the ground around 3pm ish.

For those coming by train would recommend doing something like this as there is only the Cap and Gown by the ground.

Mate what was the pub pre-Birmingham with you and Mark last year, the word "Dive" springs to mind about 5 football fans and a bunch of kids. :lol:

I was going to start a similar thread about Liverpool next weekend. Havent been to Liverpool atall before so don't really know where away fans go. My mate has suggested parking at Goodison then walking to pubs around Anfield. I would assume they were all home pubs though? And is the city centre better?

I was going to start a similar thread about Liverpool next weekend. Havent been to Liverpool atall before so don't really know where away fans go. My mate has suggested parking at Goodison then walking to pubs around Anfield. I would assume they were all home pubs though? And is the city centre better?

When you go to Anfield, you go in the Everton pubs near Goodison and vice versa.

Guest Brummiemag

For those coming by train would recommend doing something like this as there is only the Cap and Gown by the ground.

Mate what was the pub pre-Birmingham with you and Mark last year, the word "Dive" springs to mind about 5 football fans and a bunch of kids. :lol:

That would probably be the Newt, right by New St Station, a bit of a shit hole and no decent beer but convenient.

Thats why we are gonna meet on Broad Street this time, better pubs, more choice and easy to jump into a taxi to the game

When you go to Anfield, you go in the Everton pubs near Goodison and vice versa.

Ah right. Good stuff. Cheers

I went to the game by train by myself last year and got off at Witton Station - only about 10 mins and an extra couple of quid from New St. Got there a couple of hours before kickoff so went into the Cap and Gown as its on route from the station to the ground. Not the largest of places and it was a couple of quid to get in but there was a decent atmosphere and no trouble at all. The Villa side of the pub was fairly quiet in numbers and as it was mainly the older generations we had a good little laugh through the doorway. The beer was fairly priced and there were enough people serving that didn't have to wait hours. The toilets however . . . .

I would recommend it if there are a couple of you but would probably suggest the city centre if there was more.

Guest Brummiemag

For those coming by train or those coming down early and have the time I would recommend doing this as there is a good choice of pubs and its easy enough to get from Broad Street to the ground by taxi or local train.

The only pub near the ground is the the Cap and Gown and its a shithole, you pay to get in and theres no decent beer, although the atmosphere was good but thats only because it was full of newcastle fans. I would only head there if you dont have time to go anywhere else

Been to the cap and gown a few times but last time it was full and the coppers were turning people away.  We walked down the road to a maroon and sky blue pub with a big villa crest on it.  Zipped our jackets up to cover up our colours and walked in, only to find it full to busting with toon fans bouncing around on the table and singing get your tits out.

Guest toonlass

What's travelling with the back page like? thinking of doing it for this as it seems the easiest option.

No alcohol, no atmosphere, plenty of "comfort breaks". So I am told.

Guest shagthefluff

if you go with back page prepare to be surrounded by mongs-loads of one trip scallys-not recommeded if you get pissed off easily!!!

if you go with back page prepare to be surrounded by mongs-loads of one trip scallys-not recommeded if you get pissed off easily!!!

Think it might have been the Back Page lot who were drinking outside the pub we were in down at West Ham, along with some kid of about 13 absolutely pissed off his tits and trying his best to get nicked off the local coppers or shot off the local gangsters :lol:

Guest BooBoo

The only thing the back page travel has going for it is the price. Other than that its full of toon nerds and/ or charvers (last trip had a group of 8 or so 15 year old lads having farting competitions for a good hour), there's no alcohol allowed and they make ludicrously lengthy pit stops. One at Bolton a few years ago lasted an hour. Plus you only usually get there a maximum of 90 minutes before the game. Finally and most damning was the fact that they once showed a Jim Davison comedy stand up video. Excruciating.

Use them if your after a really cheap trip, otherwise best avoided.

The only thing the back page travel has going for it is the price. Other than that its full of toon nerds and/ or charvers (last trip had a group of 8 or so 15 year old lads having farting competitions for a good hour), there's no alcohol allowed and they make ludicrously lengthy pit stops. One at Bolton a few years ago lasted an hour. Plus you only usually get there a maximum of 90 minutes before the game. Finally and most damning was the fact that they once showed a Jim Davison comedy standy up video. Exruciating.

Use them if your after a really cheap trip, otherwise best avoided.

Summed it up perfectly.  :thup: They're a decent professional service (esp. from the point of view of no last minute cancellations or anything) but I'll not be using them again unless absolutely necessary. The "comfort breaks" on the way home from matches are the worst, when you just want to get home and you're at some shite services for an hour.