Players in Jan to turn it round?

Dokko

Who would you like to see us linked with, and hopefully sign?

How much do you think we need to spend, and which areas (obvious question like) do we need to improve on?

-------------------------------------------------

For me we need to spend sensible money on players at the back.

Bridge £3.5m (unwanted) Distin £1m (contract) Lucas Neill £1m (contact) would be great signings and for reasonable prices.

All three have been linked in recent days and i hope we get all three.

The mid although not working, has bodies in it, and thats enough for me. We can sort out that mess next summer until then i'd leave it, but with Emre, Parker & Milner linked big money moves away, i reckon at least one of them will be gone in the window, just don't know who.

Upfront we need more bodies. Rossi will be gone, but i think another loan deal could be what we need. Try abroad, Barca, Madrid, Inter, someone must be top loaded with strikers somewhere. Also get a proven EPL goalscorer in, no matter age. An old head might actually just be what we need right now. I cant think who, but someone of the Sutton or Hartson mold, someone we could get cheap, and would love the step up late in their career. (Bit like Kevin Gallagher when Bobby joined)

If Emre was sold to Bayern for £8m in the winter, he'd pay for those three defenders and ar least one more striker, if not, we need to dig deep and find the £10m to revive this failing squad.

What we dont want is trophy signings or taking chances, or both with the link of Cassano to the club. I'd only take him for a straight swap with Luque, that deal we should push for, i think everyone would be a winner there.

Navarro from Valencia again is a risk, loan to buy is the only deal we should do there. The defenders need to be proven EPL quality at the very least, as its going to be tough mentally for them coping with the pressure the media and us lot will put on them to perform.

It looks hopeless at the moment, but if we can get a DOF in, and make some sensible buys in the window, the 2nd half of the season could be quite nice for us, especially if the club is on the turnaround early, and dont wait until Feb like last season with Souness.

Neill might be out of contract soon but would still cost more than £1m because there'll be at least 2-3 clubs trying to outbid each other. £2-3m sounds more reasonable.

Distin we should definitely go for.

Even if is cost £2m, its still in our reach, we could, even if my estimations are out get all three for the price of Boumsong.

We need to buy a quality defender and a striker.My suggestion is Cannavaro and Huntelaar.

lol.

Bridge is a must. And a strong leader at centre half too. No idea who to get up front. Need someone proven, but who the hell is there? Otherwise i can only see Nugent, a little risk, but i cant see much more?

bridge, neill and a striker should prove sufficient imo..... oh wait - and a new chairmain, manager, assistant manager, a couple of coaches and a new owner!

Neill might be out of contract soon but would still cost more than £1m because there'll be at least 2-3 clubs trying to outbid each other. £2-3m sounds more reasonable.

Even if is cost £2m, its still in our reach, we could, even if my estimations are out get all three for the price of Boumsong.

If the rumours are true that Liverpool are interested, surely there is no possible way he would opt for Newcastle instead.

If the rumours are true that Liverpool are interested, surely there is no possible way he would opt for Newcastle instead.

Duff was stupid enough to do it. I bet he regrets his decision now! lol

We'll have no Stroller, Rossi or Owen so we really need someone who can score. We are probably broke but if Freddy wants to protect his investment he's going to need to beg, borrow or steal from somewhere.

Forwards aren't cheap and I'd hope we'd go for someone decent such as Darren Bent, Klose or even Farfan who has always impressed me.

Distin, Bridge and Neill shouldn't cost that much and would almost give us a decent squad.

No doubt we'll leave it until January 31st as usual and miss out on the players we need.

Upson is a good shout. He is a standard Premiership defender, which is better than what we have got. I hate using that phraze but it is very true. With him and back four of :

Taylor    Moore    Upson    Bridge 

we may improve our fortunes.

Duff was stupid enough to do it. I bet he regrets his decision now! lol

The choice between Newcastle and Spurs?  At the time he made his decision Spurs were 5th and Newcastle 7th, not a lot to choose between the two at that time tbh.  Bigger signing on fee and more weekly too, cant blame him tbh and he could reasonably have expected Newcastle to kick on from the end of last season but they haven't.  The truth is no-one, you, me or Duff, expected Newcastle to do so little in the summer transfer window.  The fact that they did is now reflected in the results and the recriminations are starting now that the shortcomings at that time are coming home to roost.

Upson is a good shout. He is a standard Premiership defender, which is better than what we have got. I hate using that phraze but it is very true. With him and back four of :

Taylor    Moore    Upson    Bridge 

we may improve our fortunes.

Neill (or) Young    Taylor    Distin    Bridge.

Achievable for Luque money at the max, may even have spare for Upson.

Sorry lads, but unless we have amassed something like 25 points by January, no one will be coming here.

At that point we had best be thinking about Championship football and a budget which will mean getting rid of high earners NOT recruiting them.

Like every other team before us who looked like going down, or had just come up, it's a huge gamble between investing for success and the risk of bankruptcy caused by failure.

Whatever the shortcomings of the Mackems bosses (Murray and Fickling) when they got relegated first time, they did a pretty good business job of getting rid of Peter Reids big earners and managed to keep the club from folding.

Those who run our club may have to think about doing a similar job in the not too distant future.

Sorry lads, but unless we have amassed something like 25 points by January, no one will be coming here.

At that point we had best be thinking about Championship football and a budget which will mean getting rid of high earners NOT recruiting them.

Like every other team before us who looked like going down, or had just come up, it's a huge gamble between investing for success and the risk of bankruptcy caused by failure.

Whatever the shortcomings of the Mackems bosses (Murray and Fickling) when they got relegated first time, they did a pretty good business job of getting rid of Peter Reids big earners and managed to keep the club from folding.

Those who run our club may have to think about doing a similar job in the not too distant future.

But they wont, the board are too arrogant to think like that.

Realistically...

Moritz Volz - £1m ... Decent, capable right-back available on the cheap. Better than Carr, but not better than Taylor. I'd have Taylor as our first choice right-back.

Sylvain Distin - £2m ... Good defender, a leader at the back which we crave for. Available on the cheap due to contract problems.

Wayne Bridge - £3m ... Top-class left-back.

David Nugent - £3m ... Rising star, i think he'll be a Darren Bent-esque hit in the Premiership, and he's been kicking ass in the Under-21s. Big fan of his.

Mark Viduka - £1m ... Not brilliant, but skill ful and a presence in the box and will knab us 7 or 8 goals.

And, if we still had the available funds, we could boot Bramble (finally), and bring in Matthew Upson for £3-4m. I'm a fan of his and always have been. He was always on the brink of the England squad... he has the capabilities to be a good Premiership defender.

Obviously, not brilliant signings - but i'm talking realistically. And that's only £10m spent, if we discount Upson. However, our defense would be improved monumentally by those three imports, our defense really is just that bad at the moment. And Nugent is going to be a hell of a player - and is a key role in Preston's promotion push. Viduka doesn't have the legs that he once had, but he's always scored goals and is a presence in the box on the cheap.

1st Team: Taylor --- Distin --- Moore --- Bridge

2nd Team: Volz --- Upson --- Ramage --- Bernard

Boot: Carr, Babayaro, Bramble.

Don't know who can turn it around but we need a few no nonsense tough gritty players, that would run through walls to help us win, it may not be pretty but I am afraid thats what we need.

Unless we get a decent manager who actually has ideas about tactics and actually wipes the board clean and gives the WHOLE squad a chance. If that means giving the younsters a go then thats what has to be done.

Realistically...

Moritz Volz - £1m ... Decent, capable right-back available on the cheap. Better than Carr, but not better than Taylor. I'd have Taylor as our first choice right-back.

Sylvain Distin - £2m ... Good defender, a leader at the back which we crave for. Available on the cheap due to contract problems.

David Nugent - £3m ... Rising star, i think he'll be a Darren Bent-esque hit in the Premiership, and he's been kicking ass in the Under-21s. Big fan of his.

Mark Viduka - £1m ... Not brilliant, but skill ful and a presence in the box and will knab us 7 or 8 goals.

And, if we still had the available funds, we could boot Bramble (finally), and bring in Matthew Upson for £3-4m. I'm a fan of his and always have been. He was always on the brink of the England squad... he has the capabilities to be a good Premiership defender.

Obviously, not brilliant signings - but i'm talking realistically. And that's only £10m spent, if we discount Upson. However, our defense would be improved monumentally by those three imports, our defense really is just that bad at the moment. And Nugent is going to be a hell of a player - and is a key role in Preston's promotion push. Viduka doesn't have the legs that he once had, but he's always scored goals and is a presence in the box on the cheap.

I would be very surprised to see Nugent moving for anything like £3m. 

Realistically...

The sheer arrogance of thinking two players would sign to be a reserve for a relegation battling side :D

Also the absolute idiocy of STILL thinking Bernard is better than Babayaro.  Fuck me.