Newcastle United 0 - 0 Portsmouth - 27/04/09 - post match reaction from page 22

Nate

the morning after the night before.... am i the only one here that still thinks we're still in a half decent position? As long as we keep the goal difference on our side (therefore it's imperative not to get thashed against liverpool!) i think it can be done even if we have to go to villa on the last day of the season and get something.

Enrique's reaction to pulling his hamstring was quality, starting punching himself in the leg and shouting at it.

Nice to see someone at least look arsed.

Anyone else think Duff looked pretty decent at LB? He'll be fine there, if we revert to 3 at the back I'll knife somebody.

At a time where we need to go for broke now, for entire matches, Duff is ok at left-back. Like i've said elsewhere - he isn't afraid to get to the byline so from an attacking perspective - he's reasonable.

I thought Duff looked competant at LB, much better than he did in CM/LM anyways. Gutted for Enrique though. One of main problems i thought was the static nature of our forward line, so many times when one of the midfield/defence had the ball and Duke,Martins,Owen and to a lesser extent Smith were all standing still facing our goal in between their midfield and defence. Our midfield is shite but with (no) movement like that even a semi decent midfield would struggle.

and having finally watched some highlights and Owen (:dowie:) and from last night Guthries shot was potentially going in anyway had Viduka left it, looked that way to be and i had a decent view behind it in the East.

Fair play to Pompey i predicted they'd come and get a point and they didn't really looklike never getting it to be honest. Probably could have won had they gone for it a bit.

Oh and how does Richard Hughes keep getting played in the Prem...no attributes what so ever.

the morning after the night before.... am i the only one here that still thinks we're still in a half decent position? As long as we keep the goal difference on our side (therefore it's imperative not to get thashed against liverpool!) i think it can be done even if we have to go to villa on the last day of the season and get something.

Our position is still saveable, I am pretty sure we can get draws from all the matches other than Liverpool where we will be beaten like dogs. The problem is turning those draws into wins. I don't think we will do it because our football is rank.

Me being optimistic: If we beat Fulham and Boro, we'll stay up

Me being realistic: We won't win any more games this season, after that rubbish performance

Me being pessimistic: We won't score another Premiership goal

Guest firetotheworks

Me being optimistic: If we beat Fulham and Boro, we'll stay up

Me being realistic: We won't win any more games this season, after that rubbish performance

Me being pessimistic: We won't score another Premiership goal

Nicely put.

Harper 6 - Had nothing to do.

Beye 6 - Solid, dependable, his usual self.

Bassong 6 - Same as Beye. He made a few errors but made up for them.

Coloccini 7 - Again was very solid, him and Bassong showed what an average footballer Peter Crouch is. Gets an extra point for this performance after all the criticism he's received.

Enrique 6 - Was doing fine till he got injured.

Smith 6 - Very good from Smith. Tough in the tackle, got himself in scoring positions, only a few passing errors.

Butt 7 - Best performance of the season. Did hardly anything wrong all game.

Duff 6 - Did well at left back, still got forward, delivery was good.

Owen 6 - Did ok, tracked back, worked hard for the cause. Should have buried his chance though.

Martins 6 - Same as Owen, always trying, needs to improve in front of goal if we are to stay up.

Viduka 6 - Caused them problems, held the ball up well, was unfortunate not to get a goal.

Subs:

Guthrie 4 - Worst performance of the season from Guthrie. Poor passing, lost most 50/50s and poor to average delivery from set pieces.

Jonas 5 - Poor, made no impact on the game whatsoever.

Carroll 6 - Shouldn't have come on for Viduka, didn't really cause them problems bar his header. Great at defending corners though.

We should have won that game, everyone knows that. They were poor apart from the last 10 mins. We didn't have enough creativity they set their stall out to get a point, and almost got more. Ala Bolton in Keegan's first game back. When Viduka came off we should have gone 4-4-2 and tried to get in behind their defence which will have been tiring near the end. Have to try and get something at Anfield. Anything more than a defeat is a bonus.

Guest BooBoo

Coloccini 7 - Again was very solid, him and Bassong showed what an average footballer Peter Crouch is. Gets an extra point for this performance after all the criticism he's received.

Smith 6 - Very good from Smith. Tough in the tackle, got himself in scoring positions, only a few passing errors.

Owen 6 - Did ok, tracked back, worked hard for the cause. Should have buried his chance though.

Martins 6 - Same as Owen, always trying, needs to improve in front of goal if we are to stay up.

Viduka 6 - Caused them problems, held the ball up well, was unfortunate not to get a goal.

Subs:

Guthrie 4 - Worst performance of the season from Guthrie. Poor passing, lost most 50/50s and poor to average delivery from set pieces.

Carroll 6 - Shouldn't have come on for Viduka, didn't really cause them problems bar his header. Great at defending corners though.

We should have won that game, everyone knows that. They were poor apart from the last 10 mins. We didn't have enough creativity they set their stall out to get a point, and almost got more. Ala Bolton in Keegan's first game back. When Viduka came off we should have gone 4-4-2 and tried to get in behind their defence which will have been tiring near the end. Have to try and get something at Anfield. Anything more than a defeat is a bonus.

Well....that's certainly different, I'll give you that.

Subs:

Well....that's certainly different, I'll give you that.

Guthrie was our worst player, closely followed by Jonas. No one apart from them was especially bad. 6 is the number for an average ok game. We just couldn't put the ball in the back of the net our problem all season long.

Guest BooBoo

Its bloody madness man giving Viduka, Owen and Oba the same marks. The latter 2 were utterly dreadful whilst Viduka at least looked capable of making something happen,

I'd agree with you that Viduka was our biggest threat going forward. Martins had a few chances, Owen should have buried his. I think Owen did ok putting pressure on the ball when they had it. He wasn't terrible, he just isn't the same player he once was, we all know that. Viduka has that extra bit of quality that niether Oba nor Owen have.

Guest firetotheworks

I dont get this thing with giving Martins and Owen decent scores and poor ones to Guthrie. As far as I could see Guthrie did his job, as far as I could see Owen and Martins didnt.

I dont get this thing with giving Martins and Owen decent scores and poor ones to Guthrie. As far as I could see Guthrie did his job, as far as I could see Owen and Martins didnt.

Going by Guthrie's performances this season he was especially poor. Owen and Martins have been average all season.

We can't have any complains, completely deserve to go down, definitely one of the 3 worst sides. Really think we needed that last night, if we can't beat them in our most winnable match why would we beat Boro or Fulham who have more to play for. Shows how bad the standard has been this year that we can still stay up by winning 2 games (IMO 37 will be enough) which we really should expect to be able to win.

Honestly we are the worst footballing side in the league.

Stoke, Blackburn and a few others play disgusting brands of football but they at least have a plan and stick to it.

We don't do anything well. We don't have a style of football because we don't even play football. I'm still not sure what they do out there because it isn't football. Just a bunch of random actions between some really cluelees players' feet and the ball, while hoping something comes out of nowhere.

West Brom play better than us, Boro do also and God forgive me even Sunderland figure out the occassional passing sequence a couple of times a game.

We are the worst team in this league and if we go down we really can have no complaints at all.

i know it's captain obvious time but that's what four managers in a season will do for you, especially when 3 of them are either terrible, not managers, or its their first month in the job

Guest firetotheworks

Going by Guthrie's performances this season he was especially poor. Owen and Martins have been average all season.

So you based their scores on how good they can be? Bloody hell.  :lol:

So you based their scores on how good they can be? Bloody hell.  :lol:

You can base anything on form, thats not what I've done for everyone on that list. By Butt's form this season that was an improvement, by Guthrie's that was shocking and  by Owen and Martins that was the same old average shite we've seen all season.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/apr/28/newcastle-united-liverpool-michael-owen-alan-shearer

Unfortunately, right now, Newcastle seem better at conjuring moments of crass embarrassment. Just before kick-off on Monday night Graeme Danby, a Geordie opera singer, led an on-pitch rendition of Blaydon Races before crudely patronising the smattering of Portsmouth fans who had made the journey north, a round trip of 800 miles and 18 hours. "Have you come in a fucking car?" bellowed the microphone-wielding Danby before further taunting them with: "You're the Mackems of the south coast.

as this was written by louise taylor i'm pinning my hopes to her having made this up...jesus man, what price some class at the club?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/apr/28/newcastle-united-liverpool-michael-owen-alan-shearer

Unfortunately, right now, Newcastle seem better at conjuring moments of crass embarrassment. Just before kick-off on Monday night Graeme Danby, a Geordie opera singer, led an on-pitch rendition of Blaydon Races before crudely patronising the smattering of Portsmouth fans who had made the journey north, a round trip of 800 miles and 18 hours. "Have you come in a f***ing car?" bellowed the microphone-wielding Danby before further taunting them with: "You're the Mackems of the south coast.

as this was written by louise taylor i'm pinning my hopes to her having made this up...jesus man, what price some class at the club?

Unfortunately, this is true.

Unfortunately, right now, Newcastle seem better at conjuring moments of crass embarrassment. Just before kick-off on Monday night Graeme Danby, a Geordie opera singer, led an on-pitch rendition of Blaydon Races before crudely patronising the smattering of Portsmouth fans who had made the journey north, a round trip of 800 miles and 18 hours. "Have you come in a f***ing car?" bellowed the microphone-wielding Danby before further taunting them with: "You're the Mackems of the south coast.

Aagh, more publicity that we didn't need.

I didn't get the impression that all this build-up of Geordie fervour before the game did the players any good. They needed to relax and focus on what they were doing, but for the first 15 minutes they looked very inhibited.

Unforunately for Louise, he didn't actually swear. I certainly didn't hear it anyway.

Guest toonlass

Unforunately for Louise, he didn't actually swear. I certainly didn't hear it anyway.

I have looked to, and listened to the video that I took of it on Monday night and I can't hear him swearing in it.