Liverpool - Newcastle United | Sun May 3rd - 1:30pm @ Anfield - Pre Match Thread

Kaizero

Harper, Taylor, Onyewu, Bramble, Babayaro, Solano (Duff 86), Parker, Butt, Milner, Dyer (Sibierski 81), Martins.

That side managed to beat Liverpool 2-1 in 2007. There's no reason that this current group can't do the same. It is essential that both Guthrie and Barton start in this game, and if they both do, I think we can have a decent crack at it tbh. Hull (Who are actually worse than us and probaly worst in the league--and yes I know we didn't beat them :lol:) pushed them to the limit this weekend, so why not us. Forget the negativity, let us find glorius glorius victory explosion.

i'd rather have that lot than the current side to be honest

Guest toonlass

Oh bugger I have to be up at 5am to bloody go to this on Sunday. I think we will be walloped but sneak a draw.

Guest Phil K

Its not so much Shearer as the pillocks that have done the damage who prededed him. (And whom Ashley waved a 2 year contract at - unbelievable isn't it ?)

Guest Stephen927

I would drop Owen for this for Andy Carroll. We need someone to close down from the front, Owen doesn't do this. I would put Smith there but he actually hasn't been too bad in midfield the past 2 games. Once Barton and Guthrie are match fit then I'd put Smith up front with Martins.

I would drop Owen for this for Andy Carroll. We need someone to close down from the front, Owen doesn't do this. I would put Smith there but he actually hasn't been too bad in midfield the past 2 games. Once Barton and Guthrie are match fit then I'd put Smith up front with Martins.

Owen did plenty of closing down, more so than Martins I'd say. His problem is that he doesn't do the goalscoring bit of his job description anymore.

What would be the point of ever putting Smith up front instead of Carroll? Carroll works and fights for everything, he's stronger, better in the air, bigger and he's much more of a goal threat. Its a no brainer for me like. I can't really think of anything Smith has over Carroll as a striker.

I reckon we should go for damage limitation or we could end up fucking up our goal difference advantage. I'd play 5 in midfield (Barton, Guthrie and Nolan if possible) and stick either Martins or Carroll up front. I can't see how we;re gonna get anything other than a beating so we need battlers out there who are up for the fight. We need to keep it as tight as possible. Cant decide which i would prefer out of Martins for his pace on the counter attack or Carroll for his height and battling.

difficult decision regarding formation. the 4-3-3 could be key to us staying up so it could be vital to get another 90 mins of the players adjusting to it, but with the way liverpool play i could only see us getting our arses handed to us on a plate. i just dont like the idea of us playing a different formation every game.

Harper

Beye Coloccini Bassong Duff

Barton Butt Jonas

Owen

Viduka          Martins

I like Guthrie, but he was poor yesterday and I really want Barton back in the team, as he is without a doubt our best midfielder when in form (which he probably won't be, still reckon he's the best even when not match fit). Think we'll need Jonas to carry the ball for us, he'll help us take a bit of pressure off the defence. Might be a bit harsh on dropping Smith, thought he looked one of your best players yesterday, he even took a couple of shots, more than he did all of last year tbh.

Harper

Barton Butt Jonas

Owen

Viduka          Martins

I like Guthrie, but he was poor yesterday and I really want Barton back in the team, as he is without a doubt our best midfielder when in form (which he probably won't be, still reckon he's the best even when not match fit). Think we'll need Jonas to carry the ball for us, he'll help us take a bit of pressure off the defence. Might be a bit harsh on dropping Smith, thought he looked one of your best players yesterday, he even took a couple of shots, more than he did all of last year tbh.

Put Smith in for Butt and that team would be the closest to any chance we have the rest of the way this season.

Harper

Barton Butt Jonas

Owen

Viduka          Martins

Put Smith in for Butt and that team would be the closest to any chance we have the rest of the way this season.

We went to complete shit when Butt went off and Smith moved in the middle. Butt knows how the play the role, Smith doesn't. For all his faults, Butt did what he was supposed to do yesterday, if you can forget all of his misplaced passes.

We should fail to field a team. Forfeit is an acceptable 3-0 defeat, we'll keep whatever confidence we have left, and we can concentrate on getting players fit for the Boro match. :thup:

We should fail to field a team. Forfeit is an acceptable 3-0 defeat, we'll keep whatever confidence we have left, and we can concentrate on getting players fit for the Boro match. :thup:

you also get docked another 3 points i believe.

field a youth team and get 4 sent off straight away,then it'll be abandoned and awarded 3-0 to them.

Harper

Barton Butt Jonas

Owen

Viduka          Martins

We went to complete s*** when Butt went off and Smith moved in the middle. Butt knows how the play the role, Smith doesn't. For all his faults, Butt did what he was supposed to do yesterday, if you can forget all of his misplaced passes.

You really think that was all down to Butt going off do you? Ridiculous suggestion. Had more to do with Viduka going off and the players alresdy tiring and losing hope.

Start the game without Butt and you will see the closest thing to coherent football at the club this season.

The man has been i n the team all season at the age of 34(?) and we have been crap all year. get him the hell out of there for a change and let's see if someone else can make a more positive contribution for goodness sake.

We've totally mishandled this situation the whole bloody season.

I'd stick the kids out. Unlike the other bunch they have no fear and nothing to lose. Either way we're likely to get convincingly turned over but if we send the young guns out we'll see who is worth their salt and prevent further injury to the first team.