Foreign manager

Mistle17

Does anyone think its about time we go with a foreigner? Now, this is not a knee-jerk reaction from this game, its something I've been thinking about for a while now.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the only two foreign managers we've ever had have been Guillit and Ardiles- and neither turned out to be spectacular.

Since, we've had a mixture of British managers, and bar two of them, they've all been painfully mediocre. But people seem to have a tendency to sway towards a homegrown manager because they 'understand what the club means to the fans' etc. But is it time we drop that attitude and maybe take a gamble on a foreigner? New ideas, new methods etc etc. You never know, our injury situation might improve- we've seen it before with smart new managers from abroad bringing in dazzling conditioning and treatment methods. I'd much prefer a manager that emphasises more on the technical side of the game rather than your old-school charlies like Allardyce and Kinnear who fancy players like Nolan, Butt and Kevin Davies etc. You know, the ones that have little or no skill but can clog the shite out of you.

We've seen Zola rapidly improve West Ham and Martinez has got Swansea playing some really good stuff as well, and 3 of the 'top 4' managers are foreign. Still, there are the likes of Roy Hodgson, Moyes, O'Neill, Bruce etc. who've done very well and I'd welcome with open arms.

But the big question would be, who the heck would we bring in? At this moment in time although we are not mathematically relegated, we are staring relegation from the Premiership straight in the face, and what top class, respectable....decent manager would want to break his bollox to come over to England to work with a mad-house club like us? No one. So obviously survival and getting rid of our current owner would have to happen first to stop us ending up with the new Christian Gross. A young, hungry manager who's proven he could have, or does have what it takes to manager at the highest/second highest level. Sadly enough, I don't think Ashley has too many mates abroad...

I'm more than content with Shearer at the moment. As I said, this isn't a knee-jerk reaction from tonight's result. If we go down then I'd be more than happy with Shearer at the helm. I think the bloke's got a lot to learn and a while to go yet until he proves himself as a capable manager, but from what I've seen I've been happy with. We don't give up near as easily anymore, he's installed a bit of self-belief and confidence in the lads- they pass the ball on the deck, no hoofing- and most importantly, has brought a lot of much needed professionalism to the club, thank god.

Anyway, opinions...

it doesnt matter who we bring in as long as mike dont give him money for top class players

:sadnod:

I think Shearer has done a damn fine job, despite the absence of victories.

it doesnt matter who we bring in as long as mike dont give him money for top class players

Aye, I know that....hence why I said that Ashley needs to go for anyone decent/proven to come in.

And yes, Shearer's done a grand job....all thats missing is a win/goal.

We should have gone for Zico after Keegan resigned in September. Zico was interested and ready to work under our setup but no, why not let Hughton run riot with the team and lose game after game then only to be replaced by Joe fucking Kinnear. What a joke. I hate Mike Ashley.

We should have gone for Zico after Keegan resigned in September. Zico was interested and ready to work under our setup but no, why not let Hughton run riot with the team and lose game after game then only to be replaced by Joe f***ing Kinnear. What a joke. I hate Mike Ashley.

Me too! Lets be friends.

For the past few years we have been desperately needing foreign managers - almost any foreign manager is better than any domestic manager.

However the Premiership have improved leaps and bounds - the top 4 have significantly improved the general level - the British managers have learnt a lot, a lot from the likes of Mourinho, Benitez that I don't think any foreign manager will automatically better than a domestic manager.

The foreign world is many fold bigger than the British world. We should still try to search and pick from a much larger pool of talent - and just not going foreign for going foreign sake.

There are quite a few top foreign managers currently available, whereas none top British manager is available.

Would personally love to see Roberto Mancini here.

I am and will be happy with Alan Shearer - in today's 0-0 draw (undersired results I know), I think he has demonstrated ingenuity, adventureness, progressive thinking, and ability to chop and change as he see fits. Results didn't go our way - which is unfortunate.

Guest Heneage

funny I remember saying I wanted Avram Grant in November and being told that he'd do even worse than the current setup

HTT?

You think that toad like man could inspire our shower of shit?

A foreigner sure wouldn't play the likes of Butt and Duff just because they have a bit of good banter with him in the dressing room that's for sure.

In any other language these players are s*** and would be treated like such by a foreign manager.

To continue to trot out the likes of Nicky Butt game after game even after going back and analysing the game tapes is phenomenal to me.

f***ing incompetency from every single one of Allardyce, Keegan, Kinnear and Shearer I'm afraid.

Looking at it, the number of foreign managers in the PL has plummeted.

Man Utd- Scottish

Arsenal- French

Chelsea- Dutch

Liverpool- Spanish

Everton- Scottish

Villa- N.Irish

Fulham- English

Man City- Welsh

Spurs- English

Wigan- English

West Ham- Italian

Hull- English

Newcastle- English

West Brom- Scottish

Sunderland- Scottish

Boro- English

Portsmouth- English

Stoke- English

Bolton- English

Blackburn- English

So really, only 4 overseas managers in the PL. Good in a way but does it explain why those teams are doing well? Admittedly, 3 of the 4 are in the monopoly but still, worth a think. Or does it explain why so many teams like Stoke, Blackburn, Bolton, Boro play such boring unattractive football?  

Guest Heneage

we wouldn't be 18th in the table with Grant, no f***ing chance whatsoever

On the basis of what? The Israeli title?

A foreigner sure wouldn't play the likes of Butt and Duff just because they have a bit of good banter with him in the dressing room that's for sure.

In any other language these players are s*** and would be treated like such by a foreign manager.

To continue to trot out the likes of Nicky Butt game after game even after going back and analysing the game tapes is phenomenal to me.

f***ing incompetency from every single one of Allardyce, Keegan, Kinnear and Shearer I'm afraid.

1. Definitely true

2. Hmmm. I think its a bit harsh. He hasn't had the chance to bring in any of his own players and just has to work with what he has. Although I struggle to think why Guthrie isn't played more, I must say. At least Nolan and R.Taylor were dropped today- thats a step in the right direction from Al...

we wouldn't be 18th in the table with Grant, no f***ing chance whatsoever

On the basis of what? The Israeli title?

I do agree with you on this one, Nixon. The squad that Grant had to work with at Chelsea it'd be a crime not to do well with them. But on the flip side, I think he would've done a damn right better job than Kinnear- thats not hard though is it?

Guest Schmocky

1. Definitely true

2. Hmmm. I think its a bit harsh. He hasn't had the chance to bring in any of his own players and just has to work with what he has. Although I struggle to think why Guthrie isn't played more, I must say. At least Nolan and R.Taylor were dropped today- thats a step in the right direction from Al...

and he actually subbed butt, cant remember the last time that happened!!

Not for the sake of it, no. There are plenty of s*** foreign managers too.

But we have definately suffered since Sir Bobby's dismissal because we've seemingly limited the possible replacements every time to 'British only', at a time when there is arguably only one top class British manager still active in the game and a handful of others who are decent but nothing spectacular (the best probably being O'Neill).

In fact, I would say that we haven't appointed a "foreign" manager since Keegan transformed the club with Sir John Hall's money. Gullitt may be a Dutchman with a funny accent, but his managerial CV at the time we appointed him only had "96-98 Chelsea - 1 FA Cup" on it. So he had never managed abroad prior to that. The main point being that our current and previous chairmen/owners have been all too happy to sit on their arses and make the "easy" appointments, i.e. people that they know or have heard of because they're from, or have managed in, the same country, when the better, more difficult route would have been to use the vast resources at their disposal and get a couple of board members, directors, non-executive directors, high ranking club officials, etc etc, to scour the globe looking for talented managers. Managers who have done well with their resources, are of sound character, have produced good teams with acceptable/attractive tactics and styles of play, blooded talent through consistently, shown a good eye in the transfer market, qualified for continental competitions and done well in them, have a good overall track record, so on and so forth, then appoint the best man according to their findings. Clubs like Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal did just that, at a time when we could also have done similar. They're reaping the rewards whilst we're most likely going to be playing in the Championship next season.

Not wanting to get into a Shepherd vs Ashley debate, but if we're talking about managerial recruitment policies, it's worth noting that we were so very lucky that Sir Bobby was a Geordie (or as close to one as you can get). Honestly, a world class manager with a great continental CV, someone who had managed the best in Europe and done well, someone who could be expected to take over an elite club given his track record, was also someone who happened to be a childhood supporter of our club, having grown up in the surrounding area, and willing to come to us to see out his career even though we were near the bottom of the league with no money to spend and a s*** squad overall at that time - just how fortunate were we that we had that? Most clubs aren't, in fact no British club at this point in time has a top continental manager proven in Europe at the highest levels with some sort of emotional tie to their club to the extent that they are willing to manage it.

Take that lucky break away (if Sir Bobby was a Portugese or Spanish man by birth we'd probably have never even considered him), and most likely our woeful managerial selection policies would have come up trumps again in terms of finding the right man to tear the club apart or at the very least ensure that we get served woeful football week in week out without ever improving or looking like we could do so.

Guest neesy111

are football manager idiots, every fan can see how shit owen and butt have been

but no-one in football have seem to notice this much

tell's me that footballers and manager's are all dumb as fuck tbh and don't like being told by the crowd/fans to be told to do something, because they probably know the fan's are right

Guest Schmocky

Not for the sake of it, no. There are plenty of s*** foreign managers too.

But we have definately suffered since Sir Bobby's dismissal because we've seemingly limited the possible replacements every time to 'British only', at a time when there is arguably only one top class British manager still active in the game and a handful of others who are decent but nothing spectacular (the best probably being O'Neill).

In fact, I would say that we haven't appointed a "foreign" manager since Keegan transformed the club with Sir John Hall's money. Gullitt may be a Dutchman with a funny accent, but his managerial CV at the time we appointed him only had "96-98 Chelsea - 1 FA Cup" on it. So he had never managed abroad prior to that. The main point being that our current and previous chairmen/owners have been all too happy to sit on their arses and make the "easy" appointments, i.e. people that they know or have heard of because they're from, or have managed in, the same country, when the better, more difficult route would have been to use the vast resources at their disposal and get a couple of board members, directors, non-executive directors, high ranking club officials, etc etc, to scour the globe looking for talented managers. Managers who have done well with their resources, are of sound character, have produced good teams with acceptable/attractive tactics and styles of play, blooded talent through consistently, shown a good eye in the transfer market, qualified for continental competitions and done well in them, have a good overall track record, so on and so forth, then appoint the best man according to their findings. Clubs like Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal did just that, at a time when we could also have done similar. They're reaping the rewards whilst we're most likely going to be playing in the Championship next season.

Not wanting to get into a Shepherd vs Ashley debate, but if we're talking about managerial recruitment policies, it's worth noting that we were so very lucky that Sir Bobby was a Geordie (or as close to one as you can get). Honestly, a world class manager with a great continental CV, someone who had managed the best in Europe and done well, someone who could be expected to take over an elite club given his track record, was also someone who happened to be a childhood supporter of our club, having grown up in the surrounding area, and willing to come to us to see out his career even though we were near the bottom of the league with no money to spend and a s*** squad overall at that time - just how fortunate were we that we had that? Most clubs aren't, in fact no British club at this point in time has a top continental manager proven in Europe at the highest levels with some sort of emotional tie to their club to the extent that they are willing to manage it.

Take that lucky break away (if Sir Bobby was a Portugese or Spanish man by birth we'd probably have never even considered him), and most likely our woeful managerial selection policies would have come up trumps again in terms of finding the right man to tear the club apart or at the very least ensure that we get served woeful football week in week out without ever improving or looking like we could do so.

To be honest if bobby hadn't came here I think we would prob be the championship already, It was his core squad that kept us going for a while, and since most of them have left/retired we started the slide  that we are in today.

In fairness, I now understand that the reason he does play is because we've got fuck-all else who can play in the role he plays. Thanks Mike.

Kinnear was never ever going to do anything but take this football club down, everyone in the country knew it bar that fat f***ing scumbag

Kinnear only got the job as no one else wanted it.

Kinnear was never ever going to do anything but take this football club down, everyone in the country knew it bar that fat f***ing scumbag

Kinnear only got the job as no one else wanted it.

Zico did

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_4118885,00.html

Did a decent job with Japan and got Fenerbahce into the Champions league quarter-finals (where they lost 2-3 to Chelsea on aggregate). Fenerbahce  also won the league during his first season and finished 2nd the following year.