Shearer's replacement

Benwell Lad

Amongst all the wailing and nashing regarding the dire plight we now find ourselves in, one reason repeatedly raised is our inability to replace the best centre forward in the premiership.

Although many think the current malaise goes back further, I think it all turned sour when we decided to sack Bobby Robson, despite the top 4 finishes he'd achieved - yes we were vying with Liverpool to be 4th of the "big four" that recently.

Anyway many cite not finding a replacement for Shearer as a major factor in our demise.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Bobby Robson depart mainly because he actually had the audacity to suggest Shearer should be replaced - the time was then right to move on.

What followed has been well chronicled, SBR went and so did our best player (Bellamy) who had also fallen foul of the ruling powers at the club.

To replace the people who had taken us to the Champions League we brought in cronies to join the NUFC gravy train.

I'm sure had Robson been allowed to manage and a suitable successor been found by the right process it would all have been very different.

Guest Gemmill

With hindsight it's clear that our descent has accelerated since Robson left.  However that doesn't take away from the fact that it had already started and was well underway while Robson was still here.

Re Shearer's replacement, it was always gonna be a near impossible task, but we should have signed Ashton when West Ham did.

With hindsight it's clear that our descent has accelerated since Robson left.  However that doesn't take away from the fact that it had already started and was well underway while Robson was still here.

Re Shearer's replacement, it was always gonna be a near impossible task, but we should have signed Ashton when West Ham did.

I'm not sure it was well underway.

Ashton would have been a great signing, but my point is the "manager" was not alllowed to manage.

He HAD decided to replace Shearer, it was Shearer himself who decided he did NOT want to be replaced, and because he was bigger in the chairman's eyes than the manager, it was the manager who was replaced, by a bunch of cronies.

And then the descent really started.