Shearer's duty is to build a new Newcastle

Dave

I'd give Shearer 5 years at least. He's the only man who understands this club, the only one who can turn it around. If he can't save us, we're doomed.

5 years? My god. So why haven't we afforded any of our other managers 5 years of late? Understands what? What is this understands the club. If i lived in outer mongolia, i would know that Newcastle United supporters love their club, i would understand that we are f***ing s*** and have underachived for 50 odd year, i would understand the impatience, so does every football supporter the length and breadth of this country,but all that has little or nothing to do with his ability, . Every NUFC supporter understands whats wrong with the club, understands the club, but not 1 of the 52,000 that go every week could succesfully manage us. What's all this understanding??

Guest toonlass

I'd give Shearer 5 years at least. He's the only man who understands this club, the only one who can turn it around. If he can't save us, we're doomed.

5 years? My god. So why haven't we afforded any of our other managers 5 years of late? Understands what? What is this understands the club. If i lived in outer mongolia, i would know that Newcastle United supporters love their club, i would understand that we are f***ing s*** and have underachived for 50 odd year, i would understand the impatience, so does every football supporter the length and breadth of this country,but all that has little or nothing to do with his ability, . Every NUFC supporter understands whats wrong with the club, understands the club, but not 1 of the 52,000 that go every week could succesfully manage us. What's all this understanding??

Why are you writing Shearer off before he starts?

No, i'd rather let Shearer have his 5 minutes, or a season, and if he's cack which is more than likely, and he realises so, he'll walk away with great player status intact.

However, that's not how it'll pan out, not with the Hero fans.

the one thing i will agree with you on is should he take the job and not succeed then he should be out like anyone else, assuming he starts properly in the championship then he should be given a target of 2 seasons to get us up imo (if the finances support him) otherwise he's failing, maybe 3 at a push

being devils advocate here i can kind of see what testa mora is saying in the sense that if he shows 0% aptitude for the job there might be the temptation to keep him on longer than should be because of who he is

pity he's dressing it up with so much shit

The s*** comes because of my complete and utter frustration. So does swearing. Can you imagine St James Park half empty, entertaining Doncaster, Blackpool, Plymouth? It's driving me to distraction. I actually shed a tear against Pompey, it was the death.

You got my point at least.

I knew that'd get a bite, didn't even have to put any effort in :lol:

That was a long article, but it was a riveting read. Just backs up my view that while we have been a laughing stock for a while, the serious football fans are going to miss us. Samuel usually hammers us but that was a really thoughtful insight into where we need to go to get on the road to recovery.

Superb  :clap:

I was always previously sceptical about Shearer getting the job but I changed my mind earlier this year. He's a leader and he went up 100% in my estimation when he took the job with 8 games to. Whatever anyone says, it was a brave decision and he didn't hide behind the excuse that he didn't respect the owner. He deserves to be given a good stint and  to write him off after 4 games is lunacy. I'm fairly sure he'll turn things around next season given some decent support from the board and if it doesn't work out at least we won't always be wondering "what if..."

Not overly impressed by that article, we all know that our team needs more quality. We need to get rid of the wasters and replace them with quality.

But it's not just Alan Shearer that can achieve that, the ownership need to provide the transfers and realise that some of our current players need to be axed.

For what it's worth, I think that if we stay up and have a decent transfer window we could easily finish mid-table next season.

Guest Howaythetoon

5 years? My god. So why haven't we afforded any of our other managers 5 years of late?

Because idiots like you are on their fucking case after a few games...

FFS Shearer is not a manager. End of. Let him try himself on southampton, then we'll see.

Let him build his own team first before you judge him.  FFS

He has a fucked up squad at the minute left over from Roeder, Allerdyce, KK, Kinear (wise).

Its like a mk2 ford cortina botched up to fuck, with roller skates for fucking wheels.  Its on the highway to relegation.

Give hims a fcuking chance.

:lol: genius, and every word true

it wasnt genius when we were kids and had to drive round in it!

Good article. It's a shame it has come to this but it's correct. I would like to see a turnover in our squad of about 90% regardless of where we are next season. I think Ashley can stay as long as he backs him and supports him financially and also starts to deliver on the promises he has made. I think once we get rid of the Owens, Viduka's, Geremis etc we will be in a better financial position next season anyway and I'm happy for Shearer to be given the chance to do it.

Time will tell, but the sooner this crashes and burns, and the sun comes over the shadow that is Shearer, will be the turning point for this club.

fuck you dude (not in an aggressive sense) i'll take shearer being successful and creating a successful dynasty at the club for future managers to aspire to any day of the week

i've never heard such wank as this - someone wanting a club icon to fail, fucking pathetic

isnt he the same guy that said we're already down and we should give up in the liverpool thread? new member by any chance? smell a bit like piss.....?

I was always previously sceptical about Shearer getting the job but I changed my mind earlier this year. He's a leader and he went up 100% in my estimation when he took the job with 8 games to. Whatever anyone says, it was a brave decision and he didn't hide behind the excuse that he didn't respect the owner. He deserves to be given a good stint and  to write him off after 4 games is lunacy. I'm fairly sure he'll turn things around next season given some decent support from the board and if it doesn't work out at least we won't always be wondering "what if..."

i was a skeptic about shearer too, and wouldve wanted us to go for a more experienced manager. 8 games isnt enough for someone completely unexperienced to hit on the right formula from the get go. even though we love him, he is still learning, has made mistakes so far and will continue to make them. there's been a few encouraging signs, for instance his desire to shake up the trainingand medical side of the club, and his willingness to try out new tactics, but other things dont seem to be in place atm, motivation still hasnt improved, the playing style is as bad as its been this season etc. hopefully he'll improve the longer he has the job, SBR was shit in his first managerial job at Fulham, a side he had previously played for.

:thup:

Great Article this what we need. no knee jerk reaction we need to build this football club again from scratch and we need a manger for 3 or 4 seasons in the future. With out Shearer no one get that kind of time. As much as Ashley was the problem we the fans are the problem as well needed something big and we deluded ourselves by that claim.....

Great Article this what we need. no knee jerk reaction we need to build this football club again from scratch and we need a manger for 3 or 4 seasons in the future. With out Shearer no one get that kind of time. As much as Ashley was the problem we the fans are the problem as well needed something big and we deluded ourselves by that claim.....

Sadly, we are going to put the team under pressure to get results immediately next year if we go down, when we will probably be playing with a new set of players.  Your right will love to see Shearer get 3/4 years but its a results based business, if we dont go up next season (in the event we do go down) i think a lot of fans on here would be wanting him to walk away.

Sadly, we are going to put the team under pressure to get results immediately next year if we go down, when we will probably be playing with a new set of players.  Your right will love to see Shearer get 3/4 years but its a results based business, if we dont go up next season (in the event we do go down) i think a lot of fans on here would be wanting him to walk away.

Judging Shearer over 8 games is ridiculous, if he stays on for another season we'll have more than enough evidence to decide if he is up to it.

Guest KeithKettleborough

My view is rather more controversial or maybe cynical considering the way that Ashley has run the club these past 12 months or so. Don't trust him at all, so my mind starts to think deviously as thats the sort that he is really.

Whatever result comes from Shearers arrival, I will only be convinced that he is actually the manager if he does stay on next season in that role. My suspicion is that such was the desperation of Ashley that he scoured the Ex Managers list and tried to find one who was free, experienced and was willing to put up with the flack they would get if they didn't do the job well enough. Only one they could get was Dowie but as another "Cockney" he was not prepared to come here and add fuel to the fire that was burning about the last Cockney appointments. The link with Al was brought up and as one of his good mates he was approached and asked to assume the role (or maybe act out the role) so that Dowie could take over. Al of course wanting us to survive and being a real fan too, thought that his mate Dowie could do it with support and the plan was our last hope, so agreed to come til the end of the season. Amply rewarded both financially and with even more hero worship to go with that already rightfully gained, he had nothing to lose.

If we stay up then its a win win situation for everyone in the short term at least. Al could then say that he wasn't quite ready and wanted to go back to the Beeb. His successful assistant could takeover as manager, assuming that Joe won't be fit enough to do the managers job again, which may well be a blessing anyway. If it works, no one loses, well not until Dowies failings (say Xmas) start to appear and pressure grows on him too.

Apart from my negativity towards Ashley another reason I started to think this was the amount of prompting that Al was getting from Dowie but also the ludicrous decision to start Shola the other day. Al must know how hopeless Shola is and the fans reactions to him too, as he's been to many games. The selection of Shola smacked of him impressing the new manager in training, who felt that he should start, without having seen him play much. Thats the only way I can make any logic out of that ludicrous selection, as it didn't add up if Al was making the final decision. Then he didn't have a clue who was marking Faye and had to ask Dowie so that made me wonder too.

My theory will be out of the window of course, if Al stays at the end of the season and maybe just my imagination running away with me in these sad and desperate times. We will see.

My view is rather more controversial or maybe cynical considering the way that Ashley has run the club these past 12 months or so. Don't trust him at all, so my mind starts to think deviously as thats the sort that he is really.

Whatever result comes from Shearers arrival, I will only be convinced that he is actually the manager if he does stay on next season in that role. My suspicion is that such was the desperation of Ashley that he scoured the Ex Managers list and tried to find one who was free, experienced and was willing to put up with the flack they would get if they didn't do the job well enough. Only one they could get was Dowie but as another "Cockney" he was not prepared to come here and add fuel to the fire that was burning about the last Cockney appointments. The link with Al was brought up and as one of his good mates he was approached and asked to assume the role (or maybe act out the role) so that Dowie could take over. Al of course wanting us to survive and being a real fan too, thought that his mate Dowie could do it with support and the plan was our last hope, so agreed to come til the end of the season. Amply rewarded both financially and with even more hero worship to go with that already rightfully gained, he had nothing to lose.

If we stay up then its a win win situation for everyone in the short term at least. Al could then say that he wasn't quite ready and wanted to go back to the Beeb. His successful assistant could takeover as manager, assuming that Joe won't be fit enough to do the managers job again, which may well be a blessing anyway. If it works, no one loses, well not until Dowies failings (say Xmas) start to appear and pressure grows on him too.

Apart from my negativity towards Ashley another reason I started to think this was the amount of prompting that Al was getting from Dowie but also the ludicrous decision to start Shola the other day. Al must know how hopeless Shola is and the fans reactions to him too, as he's been to many games. The selection of Shola smacked of him impressing the new manager in training, who felt that he should start, without having seen him play much. Thats the only way I can make any logic out of that ludicrous selection, as it didn't add up if Al was making the final decision. Then he didn't have a clue who was marking Faye and had to ask Dowie so that made me wonder too.

My theory will be out of the window of course, if Al stays at the end of the season and maybe just my imagination running away with me in these sad and desperate times. We will see.

There may be something in what you say, in that the current plan at least allows for the possibility of Dowie taking over at the end of the season. However, I think everyone's still very much keeping their options open, and I doubt whether it's as definite and well thought-out as you're suggesting.

I'm sure that team selection is down to Shearer. Successive managers have thought more highly of Shola than most fans do, and I wouldn't read any more into it than that.

I'm not a big fan of Martin Samuel. He writes well, but he tends to go off on attention-seeking tangents. However, I think he's made some important points here. There's a re-building job to be done, regardless of whether or not we stay up. It's a job that's been shelved for a long while because all the club's energies over the last four years have been concentrated on keeping us in the Premiership. Shearer is best placed to do the rebuilding, because he provides unity between fans, players and owner and he will therefore be given time. He'd also be good at attracting new players to the club.

Whether he fancies the slog and the pressure, who knows. I don't think he's made his mind up yet. But if he does love the club as he says, it carries a responsibility as well.

Time will tell, but the sooner this crashes and burns, and the sun comes over the shadow that is Shearer, will be the turning point for this club.

f*** you dude (not in an aggressive sense) i'll take shearer being successful and creating a successful dynasty at the club for future managers to aspire to any day of the week

i've never heard such w*** as this - someone wanting a club icon to fail, f***ing pathetic

isnt he the same guy that said we're already down and we should give up in the liverpool thread? new member by any chance? smell a bit like piss.....?

Ill be mighty surprised if we get a corner, nevermind a bloody goal.

No.

HTT, if i'd have been talking about anyone but Shearer, you'd have a different tune. How long did you want to give Allardyce, Souness, Roeder et al? Kinnear even?

Roeder wasn't a manager, why didn't you want him to have a 5 year stint? Because he doesn't ''understand'' this club?

All bullshit. My point is, we need an actual manager, proven etc. The club is in such a bad state can we afford to take a gamble and give five years to someone who has no managerial experience? What if we slip even further back?

Shearer should go to Southampton, or another club and prove himself first. Will he walk away if he realised he wasn't any good? What if we were to be fighting relegation in the championship, do we stick to this 5 year plan? He's got more chance than any due to his status.

If he does well, excellent, these few games he's been in charge don't really have much bearing, it wouldn't for any manager, but that's all he's got, however, there's been no great improvement like some suggest, it's still the same old shit. We are too much in the shit to wait to discover if he is really a good manager or not, the place that he should learn should be elsewhere, if he is any good then have his stint another time, if we can get ourselves more stable. Shearer could get rid of every player, but he can't rid the club of the shit that goes on upstairs.