Mick Lowes

Benwell Lad

Always had a lot of time for the big fella's style of reporting, but I thought his attack on Albert Luque before Saturday's match (heard on BBC Newcastle driving to the match) was disgraceful.

Talking to the mackem summarisers (during their half time) he spent most of our pre match analysis attacking Luque.

Amongst the comments were that he was a new Marcellino;  someone from the crowd could of scored his goal at Palermo and generally that the unfortunate Spaniard was symptomatic of the depressing state we're in.

Well the little bits I've seen of Luque he has been as good as and probably better than those who ARE playing. We don't actually know if he is lazy or not because he doesn't get to play - it would be nice to see him play a few games before actually judging him.  Unlike Marcellino he sems to be desperste to play if what he says is correct.

Come on big fella, don't resort to lazy and cowardly reporting, instead of joining the bandwagon and using an under used foreign player as your scapegoat take a lok at those who are actually in the managers starting elevens, and more significantly those who have been pulling the strings at our club over the last few years.

Guest Gemmill

And for Mick Lowes to talk about anyone being lazy when he's the size he is is a bit of a pisstake.  If I was a professional sportsman and I got wind of the fact that he called me lazy, I'd request a live radio interview with him and spend the whole interview talking about what a fat fucker he is.

He's been the same for ages.

When Luque scored his goal against Lillestrom, Lowes was saying he should have passed to Milner.

The next week, when he was dropped, he couldn't say enough how great it was and how Shola would make us so much stronger.  I'm deliberately ignoring the fact Shola scored 2 goals and won us the tie, but him and his co-commentator (on that day, Alan Oliver) were creaming themselves at Luque sitting in the stand and looking far from pleased to be playing no part ("attitude awful", etc etc).

And now this. 

Guest Gemmill

The best example I've heard was for one of the European games earlier this season when he was out with the bad back/blisters.  Lowes described Luque thus:

And Albert Luque is sitting not 10 yards away from us.......with his feet up against the wall, as if he doesn't have a care in the world.

It doesn't sound like much, but that's only because I'm unable to convey in writing just how much Lowes' voice was dripping with contempt for Luque.  It was hilarious.  As if him having his feet up against the wall was some kind of metaphorical V-sign to him and the fans. :lol:

The best example I've heard was for one of the European games earlier this season when he was out with the bad back/blisters. Lowes described Luque thus:

And Albert Luque is sitting not 10 yards away from us.......with his feet up against the wall, as if he doesn't have a care in the world.

It doesn't sound like much, but that's only because I'm unable to convey in writing just how much Lowes' voice was dripping with contempt for Luque. It was hilarious. As if him having his feet up against the wall was some kind of metaphorical V-sign to him and the fans. :lol:

I think it's the same Lillestrom away game I was on about.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Loving the fact everyone thinks we have the luxury of a 'couple of games' to find out if our players are shit or not

Guest Gemmill

Loving the fact everyone thinks we have the luxury of a 'couple of games' to find out if our players are shit or not

I'm assuming you're referring to Luque?  I personally think we've established that a) he's not good/interested enough to start games, and b) he's not an impact substitute.  So basically we use him as a last resort and that's that.

I'm assuming you're referring to Luque?  I personally think we've established that a) he's not good/interested enough to start games, and b) he's not an impact substitute.  So basically we use him as a last resort and that's that.

While a totallly inadequate Man Utd reserve gains valuable premiership experience, at our expense,  therby keepng Alex Ferguson happy.

Guest Gemmill

While a totallly inadequate Man Utd reserve gains valuable premiership experience, at our expense,  therby keepng Alex Ferguson happy.

That totally inadequate Man Utd reserve was the best player on the pitch against Charlton tbh.  And he looks twice the player Luque is.

Guest nufcandy

And for Mick Lowes to talk about anyone being lazy when he's the size he is is a bit of a pisstake. If I was a professional sportsman and I got wind of the fact that he called me lazy, I'd request a live radio interview with him and spend the whole interview talking about what a fat fucker he is.

being large doesnt make him a bad person though :)

he's actualy a canny bloke, met him after we beat the makems at home last season in rosies bar

That totally inadequate Man Utd reserve was the best player on the pitch against Charlton tbh.  And he looks twice the player Luque is.

You obviously think so. I don't.

Rossi may turn out to be a Premiership player at the moment he looks like a reserve.

Even if Luque looks no better, at least he's a Newcastle player - not a Man Utd reserve farmed out to a struggling club to gain some experience.

Guest Gemmill

Rossi may turn out to be a Premiership player at the moment he looks like a reserve.

Even if Luque looks no better, at least he's a Newcastle player - not a Man Utd reserve farmed out to a struggling club to gain some experience.

He's better than anything we've got, regardless of who he belongs to.  If you seriously think Luque looks a better player, I'd love to know what games you've been watching.

Who gives a shit if he's a Man Utd reserve?  He's currently the best fit forward we have got.

Would you care if Chelsea gave us Geremi, Wright-Phillips or Wayne Bridge on loan?

I wouldn't object to any player on loan who improves our team, UNLESS their manager started making demands about whether he plays or not.

To be honest I'd rather give Carroll or Triosi match time than a Manu reserve we've only got till Jan.

Woul dbe different if he was here for the season, but he's not - pointless transfer

From .com - is Finnigan any good?

Despite netting the impressive tally of 16 goals in 22 reserve starts last season (27 in 44 since his second string debut), South Tyneside-born Carl Finnigan found himself overlooked again.

The lifelong black and whiter who turned 20 last month could have been excused for believing that the departure of Michael Chopra had moved him up the pecking order, in what is the final year of his current contract.

Instead however, his only sniff of senior service in this campaign remains a 25 minute sub stint away at Norwich in a pre-season friendly. 

Quite simply it looks as if Roeder favours those fringe players that he took charge during his stint in charge of our Academy.

So while Krul, Carroll, Troisi, Fraser Forster, Matty Pattison and Paul Huntington clock up the air miles, Finnigan and the likes of midfielder Kris Gate, left back Phil Cave and central defender David Edgar continue to languish in the reserves. 

Guest Gemmill

To be honest I'd rather give Carroll or Triosi match time than a Manu reserve we've only got till Jan.

Woul dbe different if he was here for the season, but he's not - pointless transfer

Even if the Man United player was significantly better?  Makes no sense tbh. 

He's better than anything we've got, regardless of who he belongs to.  If you seriously think Luque looks a better player, I'd love to know what games you've been watching.

Indeed not many. Only the ones he's played in or been given a bit part in. He looks OK to me when he's on the field.

Problem is none of us really know whether he is a good player or a bad player because he simply hasn't played enough since he returned to fitness, to be properly judged.

Too many seem to be judging him, like Mick Lowes, on the basis of how he looks as he sits in the stand. It's pretty difficult to play a blinder in the dugout.

Play him then judge him.

Rossi is still a few years off from being "significantly better than everyone we have". Big him up as much as you like but he's hardly Louis Saha, is he?

Guest Gemmill

Rossi is still a few years off from being "significantly better than everyone we have". Big him up as much as you like but he's hardly Louis Saha, is he?

Yeah, I suggested he was significantly better than two of our reserve players, not "everyone we have".  Nice try though.