Big teams that have been relegated in recent times?

LooneyToonArmy

Atletico Madrid were in the Segunda Division for a couple seasons until recently....Sevilla spent a fair amount of time down there too.....Real Zaragoza last season. Real Betis, Real Sociedad (big-ish) , Celta Vigo,. Parma in Serie B currently, Fiorentina were in the 3rd division equivalent (though that was due to the corruption case),Juventus,  Napoli, Fiorentina. Vasco Da Gama and Palmeiras in Brazil.....probably missing loads but those are off the top of my head. Hope we don't join that list  :undecided:

Guest gggg

I'm not sure how big some of those are, Celta Vigo have never won anything and Zaragoza and Parma have never won the league. Parma had done nothing at all prior to Parmalat's financial doping in 1992 apart from bounce around the 2nd, 3rd and 4th divisions with crowds of about 7,000 (when Italy had the highest attendances in Europe), even at their peak they only got around 20,000 and now their back down to half that. They're smaller than Boro.

Borussia Mönchengladbach and FC Koln are two in Germany. Both multi-time champions and averaged 40,000+ in the second division last year.

i didnt know manu was a big team before the premiership was invented?  Werent they only famous cos of some plane crash?  :p

"I'm not sure how big some of those are, Celta Vigo have never won anything  "

Thats a tad ironical coming from a newcastle fan!

Guest Wally_McFool

Aston Vile were playing in the old 3rd Division a few years ago

(alright then, when I were a lad!)

I think Atletico Madrid goinig down was massive. They had won the League and Cup double about 5 years previous. Can you imagine that happening in the Premier League  :kasper:

agreed, they even had a pretty good team on paper (like us?)...... Molina, Aguilera,  Caminero, Santiago Solari, Juninho, Bejbl, Capdevila, Valeron, Hasselbaink, Kiko to name a few....Hasselbaink scored tons of goals that season but they still went down.

How The Mighty Have Fallen - Big European Clubs From Heaven To Hell

http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/news/top-clubs.html

Forgot about Sampdoria being in Serie B for 4 seasons in the last couple years. Bordeaux too

i think they played in 3rd division, after winning the European cup?

Ferencvaros are in the 2nd Division now arent they?

Think that was for financial reasons. They were one of the best teams in the league before then.

I went to see them in the Hungarian Cup Final in 2005. Got beat 5-1 off Matav Sopron and had two men sent off which was funny. Sopron dont even exist anymore. The Ferencvaros fans were monkey chanting their own black player.

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3354/38/124/666997914/n666997914_2519675_7478034.jpg

don't think so, but they did in the early 70's.

i didnt know manu was a big team before the premiership was invented?   Werent they only famous cos of some plane crash?   :p

You might be kidding but I'll bite. Man U were a big club for a long while before the Premiership. However, until Fergie and the Premiership came along, they hadn't won the title since the mid-60's.

A big problem in that era was that the club would only appoint Catholics as managers, so their choice was restricted. They kept up that policy until the 1980's.

The Man U relegation was the biggest since I've been following football. A classic tale of good players not being replaced at the right time and carrying on too long. Fergie has never made that mistake.

No...late 60's.They were relegated to the old 2nd division in 1986-87 last time.